Thread: xbox memory card reader usb questions

Thanks
    EP Points

Default xbox memory card reader usb questions

I managed to find a Microsoft memory card for under $10. I also have a broken generic xbox controller something wrong with the left analog tried to fix it, turns out those shoulder buttons are not nice to assembly. It's made by pelican with the gamestop logo, I actually have two withe the gamestop logo, both look different. I want to wire the memory card slot from the dead controller with a usb cable, so I can back up the memorycard on my computer, this should work right? can anyone tell me the order for the wires, if I'm looking at the memorycard slot, with the split to the left, so there is a slat with two connections, then to the right is the slat with 3?

I read the original xbox memorycards were essentially overpriced usb drives, but what about the xbox 360 memorycards, those are very cheap, do they use the same wiring? Lastly, is the xbox gameshark cable anything more then what I'm trying to make?

ps: I cleaned the residue from the sticker on the front with wd-40 and the serial number rubbed off, doesn't bother me but oops.

Thanks
    EP Points

Not sure about wiring the slot itself directly to USB, but the original xbox controllers themselves essentially connect to the console via USB, just with a different plug on the end. That said, if you're still getting some functionality out of it (aside from the aforementioned dead analog) you should be able to just cut off the old xbox plug and wire a USB plug onto it, using the whole thing as your "adapter". The wires will usually be the same color on both the controllers wire and a standard USB cable, though occasionally they will differ, in which case you can refer to this diagram to figure out which wires to connect together. Soldering would be recommended but isn't necessary.

is the xbox gameshark cable anything more then what I'm trying to make?
    Not really, all that cable does is provide an interface between the memory card and the program used to copy saves to/from it, which you can do sufficiently just attaching a USB plug to a controller.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Non-genuine controllers don't often use the same colour wires as USB so matching up isn't as simple as using a genuine controller.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

the shoulder buttons doesn't work now, the way it was assembled, I'd need at least two people, one for top and bottom shells and one to line up the shoulders, sorry, I was thinking of my gamecube controller that's the one with the bad analog, hitting up occasionally fixes it. one of my xbox controllers isn't acknowledged by the Xbox. I actually have an entire box of ps2/ps1 controllers and an adapter on the way to use them on gamecube and xbox, didn't realize sony is the only one without pressure sensitive shoulders. anyway I've read that usb ports could be wired instead of the memory card slot, but trying to fix the xbox controller and now the shoulders are stuck so i don't want to open the only working controller, especially with a real xbox memory card and the socket for one in a dead controller. I do have an adapter for xbox controllers to pc by usb, and usb to xbox for a keyboard, but unlike my xbox360 controller that installed automatically the "Pelican" as my pc saw did not seem to have drivers anywhere, from what I read xboxcd only works on xp. @Deadlegion are you suggesting using the working controller as a reader on a windows xp computer?

ok I should have tried google first, I found these diagrams that answers one question, one site mentioned needing drivers to use the original xbox memory card on a pc though and gave a dead link. haven't searched for the driver yet. would I be correct in assuming the xbox memory cards are formatted in fatX like the hard drives?
    XBox-Pin-Outs-2.png
    xbox memory card above [EDIT pin 5 is supposedly video sync]
    xbox 360 memory card below
    Memory_unit_inside.jpg
    Last edited by scrapjack; 1st-August-2015 at 05:56. Reason: new info

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

@Deadlegion are you suggesting using the working controller as a reader on a windows xp computer?
    Yes, it might be possible to get it working on win7 64bit too but it isn't as easy as doing it on XP. It would involve using extra software to force win7 to accept unsigned drivers.

Honestly I haven't looked into this stuff for some time now My main console has a modchip.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    My main console has a modchip.
    Does that let you swap data back and forth between your computer and console? Does the chip connect by IDE by any chance? soldering isn't my specialty, wires are easy, silicon circuit boards are usually ok, motherboards are a pain, headphone wires are impossible it seems. I suspect anything made by Microsoft would have those micro soldered connections motherboards have.

My main goal is simply to be able to create endless back ups of my saves on my computer. I have over 7 playstation 2 momorycards and still had to play to the end of one on my games 2 or 3 times.

UPDATE: turns out the new xbcd is signed, however neither xbox controllers I have show up with xbcd. a gamestop pelican brand bb192 and bb136. also I managed to fix the dead controller. if anyone is interested with the usb adapter xbox will read keyboards but not wired xbox 360 controllers, or at least not the Power-A slims, I tried two models

[Back to one of my earlier questions, is the xbox gameshark only a usb cable soldered to the memory card port or is there some kind of circuit in it?] never mind the gameshark is fairly cheap and after my experience with sd gecko, I'm not going to bother trying to make memory cards out of jump drives

also it sounds like the hard drive in my console is starting to fail, it is making that skipping sound and the game isn't even running. it's the same sound I was hearing a few weeks ago right before my hard drive in my windows 98 failed, also a 10gb (two silver disks in one drive crazy!). Is there anything I should do before it fails, get some number or something? I'm glad I got the memory card.
    Last edited by scrapjack; 3rd-August-2015 at 02:47. Reason: new info

Thanks
    EP Points

For 64bit windows use Xplorer360 no driver needed. For wiring yes its simply a matter of matching the colours ignoring the yellow wire (its for optical). Alternatively you can use Action Replay and edit the config with the PID and VID so it will install the Maxdrive driver for that controller. As for 360 controllers no they wont work as they are xinput and the XBOX (DX8) was still using Dinput. You can also use logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combos and Slick brand wireless (havent tried any others)

As for the HDD back up the eeprom and FTP it to your PC if it fails you can simply use Babylon and build a new one