Thread: First time emu user needs help (Dolphin)

Thanks

Smile First time emu user needs help (Dolphin)

so i just got dolphin installed no problems and removed my 32 winrar replacing with 64. i then got the wind waker download from this site opened it to find a shit tone of even smaller winrars. I have no idea what to do with this because the vids i've see, when you open the games winrar there's a little paper in there with a cd on it, not sure what file type it is. ANYWAY because it was a newer game i thought i should try a simpler one first so i went with zelda OoT. this time i opened it up and its a unrecognized file type. I would great appreciate any tips on getting these to show up and run on dolphin, thanks in advance

Thanks
    EP Points

The smaller rars are just a split archive. Find the first file, either a rar without a number or the first one like .r01 or possibly even .r00 then just extract that and it will automatically combine the subsequent rars together to give you the game. Just make sure all the rars are in the same folder. Once you have your disc image and it works you can just delete all the rars.

As for the Ocarina one, what's the file extension??
    Last edited by Zaladane; 25th-July-2015 at 02:44.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaladane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

should i select the .rar file and then extract to my games folder, or should i open the .rar file and select whats inside? i tried the former and found that it moved the .rar file to my games folder and that's all, so im guessing that that not right. i tried the later of the two (in this case selecting a .rar, which preceded the .r00 in order from top to bottom of the list, .r23 being the last .rar) and it told me i needed to have the .r01 first, and the .r01 told me i need the .r02, so on so forth (i assume). I then skipped to the .r23 (the last numerically titled .rar) and i shit you not it told me i needed to do a previous file first. it should also be noted that along with the 24 (one .rar and 23 .r#) files that there are also one "sfv file" (not sure what that is) and a "system information file". i greatly appreciate your help and am looking forward to learning more. the Zelda OoT file is listed as a "N64 file" for file type, and is the only file listed.

HOLY WOW! FIGURED IT OUT!. thanks so much for your help, after my last post i figured that all the rar needed to be extracted into a seperat folder and then the....watever, it works and im dumb for missing this in the first place, but that so much for your help. any thoughts on the "N64" file?
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 25th-July-2015 at 09:29. Reason: posts merged - no double posting allowed

Thanks
    EP Points

Always extract the original single .rar you downloaded first, then in the collection of rar-type files that comes out, look for a new .rar and extract that to get the actual game file(s). If there isn't a new .rar, find the lowest numbered one in the set (.r00, .r01 etc) and extract that instead. Making sure to extract the original .rar file to its own folder can help prevent getting it confused/mixed up with the newly extracted parts.

The other "N64 file" sounds like an N64 rom file, not sure why that was mixed in with a gamecube rip.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thanks guys/gals. well ive got it running but now its asking about save slots and wont let me say no, it really wants me save the game. ive made another thread for convenience. let me know if you have any answers, i understand that its rather specific.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To clarify are you still talking about Dolphin or an N64 emulator like PJ64 or the GC version of OoT or the WiiWare version OoT

GC games need a memcard made for them if I remember unless they changed that, was sure that was one of the options in the settings for Dolphin though, could take a look when I understand what you are asking about

P.S. GC and WiiWare versions of OoT are still emulating the N64 version just using GC hardware and later Wii hardware it is only the 3DS version that was a remake of the game designed just for that hardware

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

thaks for the response. currently what i have on the floor right now are two questions. what do i do with my Zelda OoT time game whose lone file was a "N64 file", aptly named I'm sure, AND how to get the memory card function to recognize a folder as a memory card. Ive figured both these thing out. Yes, the dolphin software has an option to just use a file, i just completely missed it, and its working fantastically now. as for the "N64 file" i did a little MORE research got it working on PJ64 rather beautifully. Thanks for help! ive also got a new question!!!

TL/DR; i figured everything else out but now have a new question! Is there a way to map the controller to different keys on my keyboard for the dolphin program? Im currently playing "Zelda: The Wind Waker" and its basic controller to keyboard transition has moved rather important functions all over the place and i still haven't figured them all out making the game less enjoyable to play.

ALSO, where is the best place to purchase a gamecube controller AND a converter, some of the places I've looked are asking a pretty penny and I'm scrapped.

I will continue to limit any further questions i have to this board as i continue on my emulation adventure. again, thank you for helping me out.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PSX/PS2 pads are just as easy to use and the converter are widely available and cheap

PSX/PS2 pads have 2 extra buttons to a GC pad

PSX/PS2 pad vs GC pad
    L1 = N/A
    R1 = Z trigger
    L2 = L trigger
    R2 = R trigger
    Triangle = Y
    Circle = X
    Square = B
    Cross = A
    D-Pad = Analog stick \_Just switch those round
    Left Analog = D-Pad /
    Right stick = C stick
    Start = Start
    Select = N/A
    L3 = N/A
    R3 = N/A

Asides from the pos of the D-pad/Left analog stick they match up very well

360 pads also have a very close match up, just a personal preference to Sony pads, I even use them with my Wii via a PSX to GC converter

If you happen to have a PSX or PS2 pad anyway the best option is just a simple PS2 to USB converter (works with PSX pads also) sometimes they are called a PS2 to PS3 converter they are still usb and both work with a PS3 and a PC

Nothing wrong with a GC pads though but the converters are not so easy to find now, not sure of the pads not had a want to look but I will say stick to official ones though I have cheap ones and they feel exactly that.. cheap and badly made vs official pads, one I still use though but only for the rapid fire function that I would use for something like metal gear solid just for a very small section, more to save my official pads from getting hammered and save my arms from hurting after

For Dolphin you just need to go to Options -> GameCube Pad Settings, should be reasonably easy to figure the rest out from there

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PSX/PS2 pads are just as easy to use and the converter are widely available and cheap

PSX/PS2 pads have 4 extra buttons to a GC pad 2 from first look

PSX/PS2 pad vs GC pad
    L1 = N/A
    R1 = Z trigger
    L2 = L trigger
    R2 = R trigger
    Triangle = Y
    Circle = X
    Square = B
    Cross = A
    D-Pad = Analog stick \_Just switch those round
    Left Analog = D-Pad /
    Right stick = C stick
    Start = Start
    Select = N/A
    L3 = N/A
    R3 = N/A

Asides from the pos of the D-pad/Left analog stick they match up very well

360 pads also have a very close match up, just a personal preference to Sony pads, I even use them with my Wii via a PSX to GC converter and my (Original) Xbox via a similar converter (never did like the xbox pads otherwise it is a fine console)

If you happen to have a PSX or PS2 pad anyway the best option is just a simple PS2 to USB converter (works with PSX pads also) sometimes they are called a PS2 to PS3 converter they are still usb and both work with a PS3 and a PC

Nothing wrong with a GC pads though but the converters are not so easy to find now, not sure of the pads not had a want to look but I will say stick to official ones though I have cheap ones and they feel exactly that.. cheap and badly made vs official pads, one I still use though but only for the rapid fire function that I would use for something like metal gear solid just for a very small section, more to save my official pads from getting hammered and save my arms from hurting after

For Dolphin you just need to go to Options -> GameCube Pad Settings, should be reasonably easy to figure the rest out from there
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-July-2015 at 13:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]