Thread: Wonder Boy III - The Dragon's Trap FM Sound enabled

Thanks

Default Wonder Boy III - The Dragon's Trap FM Sound enabled

I noticed that in SMS hacking section there are great FM sound hacks of Ys and Phantasy Star but not for Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap???

The guys at MEKA explained how this can be accomplished through Winhex:

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap [SMS]
    ; Patch ROM to enable FM Unit support in European/US mode.
    ; The non-patched game uses the FM Unit only in Japanese mode.
    ; Author: Omar Cornut / Bock
    [mekacrc: 9C7847B5CB3F875F]
    ROM[025B] = 00, 00
    ;-------------

I have just patched it myself and it sounds so much better. I will gladly upload the prepatched ROM on the main site but i don't know how!

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I believe you can force FM sound in Genesis Plus GX which is the best SMS/Genesis,GG,Sega CD emu but I will have to test it.

Edit: Wow you are right, I forced FM sound and the difference is huge.
    Last edited by Warrior; 15th-July-2015 at 00:51.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

You found simpler method how to enable FM sound and i spent whole day today searching for this damn code. I am using Bizhawk emu on my PC because it supports all systems that i care about. Does Genesis Plus GX works also on PC?

By the way almost all Sega Mark III games have FM sound but american version of sms games are missing it. Try Ys and Phantasy Star with FM sound and compare them to american versions with all the blips and burps.
    Last edited by dejan07; 15th-July-2015 at 01:59.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I use retroarch for most of my emulation needs, bizhawk is meant for TAS players.

Retroarch is the official frontend for the libretro core system - http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/RetroArch

RA is runnable on tons of devices, it even has Dreamcast planned in the near future.

I know about SMS FM sound but never really delved into it, in RA you just load the Genesis Plus GX core , pick a game and press F1 to bring up the GUI and go to core options then enable Master System FM and it will override all SMS games sound.

Patches are nice for those who wish to play the games on real hardware .
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.