Thread: New to Emulation; Can't load game

Thanks

Unhappy New to Emulation; Can't load game

Hi there!
    Please excuse me if I've missed any spots on the forum, but I cannot seem to find any answers.

Today, I decided to try to play Sonic Adventure DX Directors Cut http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_G...66357-download and so I downloaded Dolphin (Versions 4.0.2, 4.0, and 2.0) and found the only ROM for the game this site had.

I at first went to dolphin 4.0.2 and just simply tried to load it up from the .rar but each time I'd try it would bring up the screen as if it was going to play, but then it would crash. I tried that on both 4.0 and 2.0 as well.

Next, I went searching for tutorials and copied one I found that said to extract the file (I did so using 7-Zip) and then extracted Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	44648 these and then got a gcm file. I was stoked! I thought, hey! I finally did it. Wrong. I went to open that up with all of the versions and received Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	44649 this error message.

At this point, I'm at a loss because I don't know what else to try - I've searched for other ROMS but I don't know what are trustworthy and what aren't. If anyone could help guide me through this process, provide a new rom, different emulator, or something that'd be awesome!

P.S. On Dolphin, it does have some testers who have played it on 4.0 and had it work just fine, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Specs:
    • Windows 8.1
    • 4GB RAM
    • 64-bit OS
    • Intel Celeron @ 1.50 GHz
    • Intel HD Graphics

please
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 26th-June-2015 at 01:00. Reason: please, no double posting

Thanks
    EP Points

What is the size of the .gcm file? around 1GB?

Just a heads up though, you might not be able to run the game at full speed or at least playable speed since your specs is way beyond the minimum requirement, but you can still try it out of you wanted to.
    vc3 released.

Thanks
    EP Points

If its possible for you there is a PC version that could potentially play better than emulating it on Dolphin.

I was able to run Sonic Adventure 2 flawlessly on my old Windows 7 so why not give that a try instead for sake of playability.

Or hack a Wii
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

Also you could try Dreamcast emulation which was the first platform the game was released on iirc.

You don't get some of the little extras that come with the GC release but it works well.

Thanks

your computer isn't great for emulating GC games as you would need alot more processing power for starters .If you have a wii+ a SD card you can google how to softmad your wii and from that learn how to play GC backups/ISOs on it.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Better to play from a USB HDD on the Wii due to the slow SD port, USB sticks also have issues (or rather flash memory but there are fixes), though an SD card is used as part of the modding process, best option is ModMii that will download everything needed for the initial mod then just add the GC mod after and if needs be the loader of choice for me that was USB Loader GX, but there are plenty of others that one is just my personal choice

Best option given is possibly the PC port version as Dreamcast emulation is far from perfect and you still need a higher end computer to use that smoothly

Emulation wise your system falls under par for that generation of emulation PSX (With the correct settings/emulator) and under should be fine though, DS at a push maybe otherwise GBA and under for handhelds (e.g. PSX, Saturn, N64 emulation and under should work fine for you)

PS2 GameCube/Wii Dreamcast PSP ect are going to run badly for you though

You may find some N64 emulation is not great either on that machine but that is partly the emulators available as well as system specs
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-July-2015 at 07:35.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR