Thread: The Death of Internet Plugin

Thanks

Default The Death of Internet Plugin

For those of you who don't know. Google and Microsoft have announced the end of plugins based on the netscape NPAPI architecture. This includes Unity, Java, Silverlight and a host of programs. Websites that use these plugins will soon be nonfunctioning. To me this marks the end of an era. Like many of you I grew up on the internet. I remember mudds chatrooms and god forbid AOL and Netscape when they controlled the market. I remember spending hours writing freaking flash websites with tons of animation and noises that have now gone wayside. Part of me misses the way the net looked when there were no rules and you could simply put up a site and you didn't have to worry about internet optimization beeing html compliant or fitting into a neat little box that google can search. The days of the internet plugins are over with as soon as the new version of windows hits the market. The new version of IE will flat out forbid the use of java, and have limited flash ability. If you make games well all that knowledge is now pretty much useless. Because plugins that we all have been using for years are dead. D. E. A. D. These have been replaced with html5, and other web standards basicly more rules that says how a webpage can look act and do. I realized the death of java is probably a good thing. After all it will destroy some of the online virus's, malware but for really how long will it stay that way. Hackers will just find a another way to do these things. If you have been playing abandonware in online java emulations on websites. These will soon no longer work. Same go's for stupid little games like elf bowling, java chatrooms, unity player games that haven't been written in HTML5 compliance. Honestly I believe these decisions are probably going to lead to another browser war, starting and maybe that's what the powers at be want. So a suggestion enjoy those old online emulators while they last.
    Last edited by miyuneko; 27th-June-2015 at 00:34.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

I, uh, totally hate java though. So damn icky and unstable. Yay!?

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

i seem to be missing the problem here.

unity is an unstable piece of crap which imo, the devs themselves can't fix (for the love of all that is merciful stop screwing around and FIX THE DAMNED UPDATE ERROR ALREADY! it's been an existing issue since 2011 if not earlier. wtf? that's not laziness, that's the devs simply ignoring it if it's been around THAT long.).

"I, uh, totally hate java though. So damn icky and unstable. Yay!?" tell that to minecraft only issues i've ever had were incompatibility between or broken mods.

java...i don't really have much problem with but don't come across many things that actively use it (i forget, does vizzed.com use it for emulation? i haven't visited that site in a while so i'm not sure anymore.)

as for html5... YES! YAY... i can get youtube to load videos properly without flash acting up all the time and the garbage features google adds constantly breaking on me. they have made some good changes such as letting users self-moderate in the comments (that's helped me end a few arguments i didn't care to continue that other people sometimes keep dragging out).

and i don't even know what that silverlight plugin i have here on firefox does. could someone enlighten me on that one? i know it's something from windows but that's about it.