Thread: irritating skype ads, anysolutions that actually work?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default irritating skype ads, anysolutions that actually work?

*clicks x to show ad is NOT relevant to me* yeah, THANKS!, microsoft, for MORE ads that NO ONE wants. granted i haven't been all that active on skype in a while, i just checked it to see what this latest update changed and boom, click the home button and my contacts are still a column on the left side as they should be but whats that on the right? why its a giant eyesore of an ad taking up a sizable chunk of screen space. wtf, microsoft? stop making skype WORSE. its like how google continually adds unneeded and unwanted features to make youtube harder to use and crappier (i found a solution to your evil auto quality adjust feature you idiots).

i'm fine with small banner ads, always have been but not a large ad thats like 4x4 inches wide/tall. after looking around a bit i found some solutions but in the end they never really work so i think i'll ask here since you guys have been fairly reliable with helping me on past computer issues. is there any way to block these ads and KEEP them blocked?

http://imgur.com/35iZCRd

note the big empty space in the pic with the text. also note: microsoft, ads don't improve ANYTHING, they WORSEN things.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Alternatives

Toxy or Pidgin using XMPP protocol with OTR plugin.

Microsoft knows peerblock/adblock plus/etc. all too well hence why you aint killing the ads anymore, skype sucks anyway, any alternative is far better.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm using skype through a pidgin plug-in. I have access to all my skype contacts without ever seeing a single ad. Go PC.

Edit: For your convenience here's pidgin, and here's the skype plugin.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

geze, that plugin requires skype to be installed and on in order to use it.

Kinda defeats the purpose of looking for a solution/alternative.

I tried it years ago, its not worth the hassle.

Tox is just like Skype minus the bullcocky/ads/SPYING ON YOUR ACTIVITY.

Tox is encrypted and open source, Tox is just the core, it has a various GUIs, https://github.com/irungentoo/toxcore

I personally like qTox GUI.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

It does get rid of the ads, and that is specifically what the op is asking for. Alternatives are nice and all, but when it comes to messaging, popularity plays a big role. I have many skype contacts who I need to be in touch with. Moving to something that is not skype means losing contact with them as they will be staying on skype. (obviously. duh?)

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well in a way you are off topic as well geze, the only method to getting rid of the ads is to downgrade skype BUT if you do that you will be hounded to update and if you exit skype or restart windows you will be greeted by the auto updated ad filled skype and you have NO way to turn auto update off.

Kinda why I mentioned the better alternatives, none of that bullcocky.

BTW the skype through pidgin method is very flawed (very out of date too) and if treos wants to try and and see how annoying it truly is feel free

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm using it right now, with the latest version of skype, I'm not seeing ads, and its working fine.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    microsoft, ads don't improve ANYTHING
    They pay for the service you're otherwise being provided free of charge: you get what you pay (or don't) for.

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    i found a solution to your evil auto quality adjust feature
    Scripts that detect connection speeds; literally Hitler!

More on topic tho,

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    if you exit skype or restart windows you will be greeted by the auto updated ad filled skype and you have NO way to turn auto update off.
    I don't use skype so can't test it myself, but I was able to find this on skype's support section; https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...indows-desktop. OP could try that maybe?
    Last edited by MaslowK; 25th-May-2015 at 22:22.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"