Thread: How do I transfer save files between different desmume versions?

Thanks

Default How do I transfer save files between different desmume versions?

I have 0.9.10 and I encountered a problem, so I decided to use the earlier 0.9.9 version because I wouldn't have a problem. I copied my platinum file and states just to be safe, and pasted them in the battery and state folders. However, when I opened the rom I got the new game menu and couldn't access my progress. The files each had the same name. Is it possible to transfer a file to an older version? I know you can transfer from an older to a newer, but can you do it the other way around? Also just to note, I'm using NTEVO roms, which only edit the evolution settings of pokemon that evolve from trades and stuff: http://pokemonntevoroms.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    EP Points

well, iirc save states don't work with desmume at all, though i could be mistaken. aside from that, i'm not sure what could be the problem unless you've renamed any of the DSV battery files. those need to be the same name as the rom in question to work. so if the rom file is named 0369 - Tao's Adventure - Curse of the Demon Seal (U)(Trashman) then you need to keep the battery save file for it the same name but i'm sure you're aware of that.

if those roms are hacked (rom hacks) though then the problem could be anything. bug, error somewhere, who knows.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    well, iirc save states don't work with desmume at all, though i could be mistaken.
    you have a source for that?

aside from that, i'm not sure what could be the problem unless you've renamed any of the DSV battery files. those need to be the same name as the rom in question to work. so if the rom file is named 0369 - Tao's Adventure - Curse of the Demon Seal (U)(Trashman) then you need to keep the battery save file for it the same name but i'm sure you're aware of that.
    Yeah like I said, the file names are the same.

if those roms are hacked (rom hacks) though then the problem could be anything. bug, error somewhere, who knows.
    They aren't hacked, they're slightly edited versions for convenience evolving pokemon that have to be traded to evolve. For example, Kadabra evolves at level 42 and Magmar evolves holding the magmarizer leveled up during the daytime. Everything else is the same.

Thanks
    EP Points

"they're slightly edited versions" that's what a rom hack is basically. even if it's something as simple as editing the color palettes (this usually counts as an improvement type of hack), it's still a rom hack so yes, those a hacked rom's.

as for save state, i just tested and it seems i was mistaken. they do work in desmume.

thing is, if your saves were from the original pokemon games then theres no way to make them work with the hacked roms. least, i don't know of any easy methods if there are any. so if you're saves were from the original pokemon platinum, they won't work with the hacked version even if the save files are renamed accordingly.

sorry but you'll just have to start fresh with these rom's you downloaded from that blog.