Thread: The strategy guide section on main site is terrible and bad and you should feel bad.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default The strategy guide section on main site is terrible and bad and you should feel bad.

It needs to be cleaned up or redone entirely, literally every Prima link is dead so remove them? The namings are all over the place and you have no idea what they are because half are just rar archives so maybe it's a PDF or maybe it's a folder with jpeg's, or a cbr, etc. Some are just flat out wrong for what they are saying, "Official" when it is not, I had examples but it's been a long time but I think Zelda Versus guide was one of the mix ups involving this.

Currently it's like this just searching for Final Fantasy VII:

Bradygames - Final Fantasy 07 (PC)
    Bradygames - Final Fantasy 07 (PSX)
    Final Fantasy VII [BradyGames]
    Final Fantasy VII Official Strategy Guide
    Final Fantasy VII Guides [Unofficial]
    Final Fantasy PC VII Strategy Guide
    Final Fantasy VII - Versus Books Ultimate Guide (NEW)
    Final Fantasy VII - Versus Books Ultimate Guide (OLD)

Separating them by publisher is annoying, everything should be alphabetical, a thumbnail picture of the front would probably be a good idea as well so there is no confusion, they should be labeled [PDF] [JPEG] [CBR] accordingly, (incomplete) (missing pages) (low quality) or (watermarks) if required, remove redundant links because there are many duplicates just with different names. It should look something more like this.

Final Fantasy VII [BradyGames] [JPEG]
    Final Fantasy VII [BradyGames] [PDF]
    Final Fantasy VII [BradyGames] [PDF] (incomplete)
    Final Fantasy VII [Versus Books] [PDF]
    Final Fantasy VII [Versus Books] [PDF] (low quality)

You get the idea.
    Last edited by WorkNoFun; 31st-March-2015 at 13:50.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok, would you like to do it?

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm willing to help, as I'm sure many of the community would, it wouldn't get done over night but slowly and surly it will improve over time, you could set up each page like how all the rom pages are setup, with a user review section, so people can rate the guides quality, maybe say if it has cropping issues that sort of thing, and a media submission section for cover fronts and the like. It would also be kinda neat to sort them by total number of downloads or highest user rating, again like how the roms are organized. The point of this thread was not to put a single person in charge and make them do work, but to get the fire started somehow so that it will see some improvements eventually, it's been bad for a long time now with no sign of change or attention in years.

It would be trivial for people to just submit covers like these which would go a long way to improve this section if there was a simple submit button, but sadly I cannot add this submit button.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I thought about submitting pics of my ballsack numerous times, for pokemon stuff that is.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Posting Pokemon for a Pokemon related guide seems fine by me.

Thanks
    EP Points

Having been the guy who uploaded some of those guides on the main site, years ago, I can tell you that the inconsistent file naming comes from the fact that the name listed is the actual name of the file, and the download page generated by the system uses that as its title. Nobody's fault that EP works like that, same's true for the music files hosted on the main site, after all.

Also, about the deal with guides being generally labelled as official, it actually did a bit of good in the end to have them named like that. Some of those are PRIMA guides, for which "you" still have public download links offered, despite the DMCA Takedown Notice(s).
    And, but I'm sure the smartest of you already figured this out, the PRIMA guides on the main site haven't been removed at all, the mere download link to them has been removed from the download page, if you know which extension a certain file had, you can still grab it.

Wouldn't the presence of covers be a bit taxing, bandwidth-wise? Also, some of the scans don't have the actual cover scanned, I recall the first page being the index of contents in quite a few cases.
    Last edited by ilefys; 31st-March-2015 at 18:21.
    My strategy guides collection

Special thanks to: Chocolate Misu, Asuka and all the rest of awesome individuals who contributed over the years.
    Discord: Dark Slayer#8440