Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A generation of remasters?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Game is 3 years old and nobody bought it? Just remaster it to cash in on the customers who did buy it, they'll break down and double dip

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/gravity-r...r-ps4-in-korea
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Look at Tearaway getting a PS4 port too. The Vita's as good as dead outside of Japan its games sold no copies, so just port them to PS4, people will buy them then.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think it's silly personally. Especially when it's something that came out not that long ago like GTAV.

If it's something really old I don't mind. I'd love to see something like the Quest for Glory series updated into one continous game with controller support and streamline the battle system since they were different for each game. It's still a fun action rpg. I would totally buy that!!

Thanks
    EP Points

I got Diablo 3 ultimate evil edition and the Resident Evil but I am getting sick of the remasters. I have most for my other systems and don't feel like buying again.
    Last edited by Coraje187; 21st-March-2015 at 18:24.

Thanks
    EP Points

E.T. Remastered for XboX 2600

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't have an issue with it. Personally I'll only buy ones I want, and ignore others. My favorite game ony ps3 is kh2.5...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can go either way. Some are pretty great as they combine several games into one nice , easily affordable package. And in some cases it makes it possible to get somewhat rare games or it ports portable games to a platform that won't give you serious hand cramps after the first 30 minutes. But yes, paying full price is for suckers. 40 dollars for just GOW3 when there was a GOW collection now too long ago that shoves 5 games (two of them portable so there's that angle) which retails for like 20 dollars is stupid as shit. It's not even like it's hard to find or that new. No one who remotely cares about GOW3 hasn't played or at least bough it seeing as you can buy a copy for less than a cup of coffee. Every game store in town is flooded with used copies. I doubt people are looking at the eBay prices and thinking "gee I sure wish there were more copies of this out there so I didn't have to pay so much". I also doubt anyone is thinking "you know what I would like to play? That game from 6 years ago. But I don't want to go back to last Gen to do it."

I didn't pay 40 for the MGS remaster, and that was 3 games.. one of which was a portable I hadn't played. I considered it a good investment. But this is just silly. In short, I dig remasters if it offers something cool/different (handheld to console port) or is so cheap it's tempting. This GOW thing just strikes me as stupid and greedy.

In the case of games coming out near the end of a systems lifespan I can kinda get it. GTAV isn't for you guys that bought it already. It's for the people who held off or were too busy with their new consoles to get around to it. Ditto Tomb Raider.
    Last edited by Raype; 22nd-March-2015 at 06:12.

Thanks

probably who bought the first consolle , with remasters games, can play an important game of previous gen

Thanks
    EP Points

here is my two cents: remasters should only be reserved for when a company is about to go over. se is being smart and saving ff7 for when they begin to fall (not making this into a ff war). Honestly there are alot of games that need a remaster since they are hard to find (shadow hearts) or expensive as hell (monster kingdom jewel summoner was 75 dollars used when i checked a few years ago). Sad as it is, it is only the popular games being remasterd and remade (kindgom hearts, god of war, final fantasy x even though i love it didnt need 2 remakes back to back, and gta5 should have been next gen only).

Summery, games that need remasters dont get them like cult classics, and games that do are the ones everyone will always constantly buy and it is really annoying. the vita when it first started had alot of remakes, which i understood why as the ps4 wasnt bc, but companies are hoping that people will sell thier consoles for the new ones without doing research. like you can spend 5,000 dollars on a ps3 and a bunch of games throughout its life, how much will gamestop give? oh that will be 200 (if your lucky). so really, remakes and remasters are definitly not worth a damn especially if they are from the previous generation.

now gamefreak was being smart about it with the pokemon games, those remakes i dont mind, so long as they dont keep releasing the game every ten flipping years.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    pokemon games, those remakes i dont mind
    I think I would rather see a HD remake of ET.

Spoiler warning:

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The concept is getting super old. I don't mind if they're complete remasters of classics (Original Resident Evil 1), but there's no reason to remake Resident Evil 1 once again just to make it HD. You have a butt load other Resident Evils you could have remade, but you chose one that you only had to slightly upscale to bring to current day standards. It's become the easy way to make money off of cheap projects.

What's worse is that most games coming out at this generation are remasters. I wouldn't mind if they came out along new IPs, sequals, etc. But most game developers are focusing on just remasters and I don't get it. There's no need for a Last of Us remaster, a God of War III remaster, and so on. If you didn't play them on the original console then tough shit. Flooding the market with re-released games makes me want to stop purchasing consoles.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    The concept is getting super old. I don't mind if they're complete remasters of classics (Original Resident Evil 1), but there's no reason to remake Resident Evil 1 once again just to make it HD. You have a butt load other Resident Evils you could have remade, but you chose one that you only had to slightly upscale to bring to current day standards. It's become the easy way to make money off of cheap projects.

What's worse is that most games coming out at this generation are remasters. I wouldn't mind if they came out along new IPs, sequals, etc. But most game developers are focusing on just remasters and I don't get it. There's no need for a Last of Us remaster, a God of War III remaster, and so on. If you didn't play them on the original console then tough shit. Flooding the market with re-released games makes me want to stop purchasing consoles.
    I agree it's wearing a bit thin, especially remastering last gen games on current gen. But I don't mind getting RE and playing it again I also wouldn't mind seeing MGS Twin Snakes re-released and improved, although some people seem to think it's a travesty
    It would be better if more remasters were actually remake remasters, as in a rebuilt game using the old game as a simple basis for the new one...but most are just simple upscales with hardly any work put into them.
    Some Blu-ray releases are simple transfers from original film stock without any extensive restoration work, but then other such releases definitely have some effort put into improving both audio and video. Not a good comparison I guess, but whatever.

What I wouldn't mind seeing on current gen consoles is some slightly older PC exclusive games ported and improved, although many PC gamers might not see the point...as a console gamer that would be nice instead of seeing the same console games re-released every few years.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I agree it's wearing a bit thin, especially remastering last gen games on current gen. But I don't mind getting RE and playing it again I also wouldn't mind seeing MGS Twin Snakes re-released and improved, although some people seem to think it's a travesty
    It would be better if more remasters were actually remake remasters, as in a rebuilt game using the old game as a simple basis for the new one...but most are just simple upscales with hardly any work put into them.
    Some Blu-ray releases are simple transfers from original film stock without any extensive restoration work, but then other such releases definitely have some effort put into improving both audio and video. Not a good comparison I guess, but whatever.

What I wouldn't mind seeing on current gen consoles is some slightly older PC exclusive games ported and improved, although many PC gamers might not see the point...as a console gamer that would be nice instead of seeing the same console games re-released every few years.
    I love the REmake. I just feel like there's no need to re-release something that's already been re-released once before. Sounds like you're trying to milk it (I'm personally still holding onto the idea of a Resident Evil 2 remake .)

But, I believe if I read you correctly, you stated it best. If you're going to make a remake of an older game, it should be completely rebuilt from the bottom up. Keep the story line and original voice acting if needed, but build the game on a new engine. Refresh it. Upscaling a game's resolution with slightly better textures isn't worth a 2nd purchase when I have the original.

I think what companies need to do is have better release windows for new games. For example: PS3 and X360 are being replaced by PS4 and XONE. Develop the game for ALL consoles at that moment. This could help avoid "remasters" down the line. Granted, this is practically impossible. But, when you have a new game release on the horizon, but PS4 and XONE are releasing in 6 months time, delay the game and release it cross-platform. It might help with this flooding of remasters that ends up pissing off the fan base.

Thanks
    EP Points

Honestly i'm loving the remasters. It gives me a chance to play games that I never even knew about before. The Sly collection was the first time i'd even heard of the Sly cooper games for example and KH 1.5 remix, was the first time i'd played any KH games, though i'd vaguely heard of them once or twice before that.

Thanks

There really must be nothing new to add to the world of gaming if we're in re runs already. I personally beat a game and never go back. Though, I did try some remastered games but they never live up to the memory.