Thread: Question about screen options in SSF...

Thanks

Default Question about screen options in SSF...

Before I continue to crash my emulator again...

I would like to know if it's possible to stretch the screen of a game without making it look flat? Playing in its normal ratio has black bars on the side of the screen. I know one of the many reasons why no one wants to play standard def games on HDTVs, of course, but I bring this up because I was playing Panzer Dragoon 2 and weirdly enough, of all the three games on the Saturn (and minus the one on the Xbox) Zwei... for some reason has a wide screen option, and not Saga which came out after mind you. This makes it perfect to stretch the screen on SSF, because it looks like the game's normal ratio only somehow bigger without looking squished. What's sad is that this spoils me and makes me wish the other two games could do that.

So I'm asking, is there a way to manually do this on your own through the options or some sort of trickery that won't make me accidentally crash my emulator followed by my laptop blowing up?

I keep feeling like it's not a complete impossibility which is why I ask this strange question because of fragments over the internet that I read about stretching screens but I can't get a direct answer...

TL ; DR version: is it possible to screen stretch and get a game fitted to look like it's normal ratio like Zwei is capable of doing? If it is an impossibility then please forgive my blind optimism and just tell me "nope".
    Last edited by ZJrocket; 15th-March-2015 at 04:39.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There is another emulator out though not looked into it that much, it is a higher end emulator so is slower on older hardware than SSF, I can't see it having Widescreen hacks either though, that emulator is called Yabause it's partly higher end as they went for accurate emulation so no speed hacks used and has a few extra options to our SSF

Personally I own an actual Saturn and run it via an HD TV (I have emulated alot with SSF though also) but I make sure the display is 4:3 unless the game itself has a Widescreen option, it's usually a lettebox than actual Widescreen so I would use my TV's Zoom option to fill the screen, a few of the movie games seem to be letterbox also but also notice that it sometimes has instructions like press A to do something or Up to do something else displayed outside that, that you would miss if you have the screen zoomed

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR