Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Future of Emulation, quick thoughts

Thanks

Default The Future of Emulation, quick thoughts

With the advancements of emulators like Citrus and the PS3 emulator. How does everyone see the future of emulation?
    1. I think 3ds emulation will run rampart, so many good games and being able to add filters or internal resolutions bumps has gamers drooling at the mouth. I think Nintendo will actually have an issue with this eventually.
    2.I don't think the PS3 will ever become that big of a thing because of the ISO size. Right now PS2 is pretty large and takes up quite a bit of room to have any kind of collection. I doubt you could find a entire rom sets either..If there is one out there someone tell me how many TB it is lol. PS3 games are 4 or 5 times larger then PS2 games and with Data caps per month still pretty low, any set over 100 games would take you a year to complete . Maybe if were looking they can find some extreme data compression software that will work with them.

Either it's still at least a year off I think although the pace Citrus is going is insane. Anyways what's everyone's' thoughts on these subjects?

Thanks
    EP Points

since we're up to terabytes now in regards to hdd size, file size might not be that big a issue for ps3 though it would probably kill the chances of emulation outright for anyone who doesn't have a fast enough download speed.

please tell me i'm not the only person on this site with a peak download speed of 180kb/s. its not my fault the big ISP's are all too cheap to expand to where i live. this wifi is the best we could even find that doesn't come with throttling and/or BS monthly bandwidth caps.

as for 3ds...how do you expect to do that 3d gimmick on a normal pc monitor? yes, i said gimmick because thats what it really is. :/ imo that's a big stopping block for 3ds emulation.

to this day i still fail to see what the big deal is with the 3ds. i just checked and can't seem to find anything other than box art at gamefaqs (not really surprising since that site generally sucks for that kind of stuff anyway or people stupidly use that section as an image gallery for a single cutscene in some cases) so if someone could please try and explain this to me?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I don't think the 3D business matters because you can turn it off?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I didn't think anyone was even working on new emulators. Every time I see mention of a 3DS or PS3 or Vita emulator it always looks shady as all hell and everyone calls them a scam.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think things are pretty much at a standstill now. The current PS2/PSP/Cube/wii stuff will continue to be updated but I don't think we'll see anything else for a good long while except maybe the odd handheld.

Thanks
    EP Points

I pretty much agree with the potato, it really doesn't seem necessary to develop emu's for anything beyond ps/ps2/psp/cube/wii/ect because most modern consoles/handhelds can be modified to play backups and with prices dropping on modern console/handhelds it's an easier option to mod a console then to try to get a pc powerful enough to emulate them.
    I also see current emulation being stalled or just discontinued due to no one wanting to further develop it I do hope I'm wrong.
    thumperbunnyeve~If Purchase does not entail ownership, then sharing shouldn't mean piracy.
    help the socially disabled https://gofund.me/3234a082
    my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDs...gHZ_f8tjf8jW4w

Thanks

Default 3ds with no 3D

Quote Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
    I pretty much agree with the potato, it really doesn't seem necessary to develop emu's for anything beyond ps/ps2/psp/cube/wii/ect because most modern consoles/handhelds can be modified to play backups and with prices dropping on modern console/handhelds it's an easier option to mod a console then to try to get a pc powerful enough to emulate them.
    I also see current emulation being stalled or just discontinued due to no one wanting to further develop it I do hope I'm wrong.
    Here is a link for information on Citra https://github.com/citra-emu/citra, it's github so you have like 33 people working on one emulation, almost unheard of to be honest. The 3D is a gimmick and I don't think to many even care about that. You can buy a 2ds which just takes away the 3D part. I think it has a lot of interest to because of it's rom size which can't be any bigger then some older systems. (Google) I take that back there any where from 500mb to 4gb with most being somewhere in between there. We will have to see though.

180kbs crap that's slow I wouldn't even attempt anything past 3rd generation with that kind of speed.

Thanks
    EP Points

I only get 160k max but I pretty much download 24/7. I don't download PS3 games but technically I download stuff the same size (or larger) than a PS3 game quite a bit.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I guess a constant trickle download never stopping would get it done. I never really thought of that. Do you have monthly bandwidth caps as well?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by madtown28 View Post
    I guess a constant trickle download never stopping would get it done. I never really thought of that. Do you have monthly bandwidth caps as well?
    Unlimited data. There isn't any odd restrictions for day/night usage.
    Only limitation I have is the constant speed cap, and it's cheap.

I've gone back to torrents now, and sometimes if I wanna do something else (like play PS3 games online or something like that) I shut down whatever I'm downloading temporarily.

I am going to upgrade my speed and keep unlimited data for another $20, I have 1.5mbit atm and I should be going up to at least 8, possibly more (hopefully at least 10 but I'll have to see).

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Its a slow process in a lot of ways and console developers make this harder to do with every console release

At the moment we are not that bad off

I don't expect PS3/360 emulation any time soon though, not in any playable state anyway

3DS/2DS will come eventually, DSi emulation was never worth it for what was exclusively DSi (something like 5 to 6 games) or even for what had DSi features that was a small amount of games also.

Things may seem slow as far as emulation goes but some of the older consoles by Sega took forever to get released in a playable state there is still no Xbox emulators worth using still

Activity tends to come and go as far as emulation goes, then again a lot of older emulated systems are still getting updated from time to time so things are not totally dead there

We are seeing a few newer emulators that do not use the usual hacks to try and get more accurate emulation though saying that those emulators do not always make more games playable even though the emulation of the hardware is more accurate sometimes those hacks can make more games playable.

MAME is always getting updated with new dumps and higher compat due to improved drivers though that is another emulator that focuses on accuracy so some of the emulation is slow even on super powered computers

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I only get 160k max but I pretty much download 24/7. I don't download PS3 games but technically I download stuff the same size (or larger) than a PS3 game quite a bit.
    heh, guess i'm not the worst off after all. not by much though.

Quote Originally Posted by madtown28 View Post
    true, its slow as all heck but with no bandwidth caps it'll finish downloads eventually (i happen to have EQ2 i downloaded from steam on this super slow connection though that took 1-2 weeks of off and on downloading).

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Like most people here I think we'll see most progress in the handheld department. PS2 emulation is still far from perfect (atleast when I do it ) and modding consoles in different ways just makes so much more sense.

Would anyone happen to know how far along PSP emulation has come? I've sort of forgot about actually emulating anything that isn't a NES game for the past five years or so.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    Like most people here I think we'll see most progress in the handheld department. PS2 emulation is still far from perfect (atleast when I do it ) and modding consoles in different ways just makes so much more sense.

Would anyone happen to know how far along PSP emulation has come? I've sort of forgot about actually emulating anything that isn't a NES game for the past five years or so.
    PPSSPP is making huge progress. The latest stable version had major compat improvements especially on Android running Intel processors. There are still trouble games of course pretty much like any other emulator. It certainly has left jcpsp or whatever it's called in the dust.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PPSSPP has made incredible progress since its debut and a few games have a hucup but its very well done and you can even play a large chunk of games via the emulated ad hoc online which is a BIG plus, iv played a few games myself online, run perfecto.

From the top of my head Iv played Tekken 6 and the Yu-Gi-Oh Tag Force series online, very fun, can't remember on the others Iv tried.

One thing about PPSSPP that makes it really stand out............it can run on low grade hardware , runs just fine on my junk laptop and runs flawlessly on my desktops old radeon.

It really doesn't put any stress on your hardware from my examining , no temp rises either which is pretty surprising.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.