What An Autoexec.bat Is And How To use it,
    What A Config.sys Is And How To use It,
    Preconfigured Autoexec.bat/Config.sys,
    Memory managers Fer Dos,
    Gui's For Dos,
    Pictures(Gif,Jpg Ect) For Dos....

see ya soon

Thanks

look who's here...danger will robinson,danger...lol.
    btw,which dos version do you recommend ? i'v been leaning towards freedos but am concerned about usb drivers and such for my particular machine.
    also can you dual boot with xp or best just to have dos only ? been over 20 years since i used dos so its all new to me again.
    Last edited by tronworld; 26th-February-2015 at 12:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

RadioEdit
    Last edited by deadmouse; 17th-April-2015 at 09:57.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You know you could just make a virtual machine using Oracle VM VirtualBox that is free and then install Dos to that virtual machine

I guess it comes down to what hardware it emulates also though that I don't remember off the top of my head

Oracle VM VirtualBox emulates the hardware so you can install whatever you like to it be that Dos, Windows, Linux or whatever else installs on it

There are possibly other like that, that are maybe more suited to running dos but I have not looked that hard I only ever used this to run older dos apps mostly for converting or hacking console files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-February-2015 at 10:05.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

You all post like you're drunk

Keep in mind when creating a dual boot with xp you need to format your partition to FAT 16 for the DOS portion..

WHY AM I POSTING HERE!!!!

Funny enough I can still remember how to write up an autoexec and config. Mostly anyways.

Good old Dos!

Thanks
    EP Points

very true,but i like dos on real dos not Emulated
    dos is a natural os for a computer why toy with emulating it
    ither way follow the post for apps,games and Emulators for dos or yer dosbox or orical emulating

my partition is fat32 ,i don't use xp boot loader i use gag,dos on partition 1"fat32" d: drive 2nd partition is fat32 and xp

gag is an awesome bootloader
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 27th-February-2015 at 12:51. Reason: posts merged

Thanks

thanks guys.i'm just installing freedos now.i decided to go pure dos so its formatting the hdd as we speak.
    gonna be fun getting back into it.god,i miss my 486.
    thanks for the tip zorlon...been there,done that.even used to use dosbox.decided to get my old pc from the cupboard and have a dos dedicated machine.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Go get yourself an 8086 or 8088 and know what real dos is

Kidding that is just what I started with PC wise anyway and even on that I has Windows 2 lite on it at some point though was kinda pointless and soon removed that, heh it only had a 10MB HDD anyway (20MB HDD with 10MB worth of bad sectors hence it was only 10MB)

Dual booting is fine as is emulating via dos only that most emulators for Dos are very much out of date vs what is on a windows platform only real difference is dos has less requirements vs windows in general

The virtual machine method is the same as a real machine well not exactly but it's emulating the hardware rather than software and hardware emulation so running dos in a Virtual machine should be the same as running dos from the machine directly (will e slower via a virtual machine as it is emulating hardware still, or at least partly depending on the virtual machine and how it is setup) except the hardware emulated may be different like the graphics chip set and sound chip set emulated may be different than the machine itself the virtual machine is running on, but if your hardware is old enough to e recognized by the older software then there is no real point to using a virtual machine at all unless you still want the multi task functions of windows and still use dos at the same time.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

got freedos installed and using gem interface.hdd is only 40gb so no problem there,formatted it to fat32.upgraded the ram a while back to 2gb.
    now i just have to figure out how to install a game from cd thats asking for the floppy...hmmm.
    now to try get my sandisk 8gb cruzer usb stick to be recognised by the gem gui.i'm assuming usb drivers are installed as i saw it in the freedos setup window.
    lol...usb is a new thing to learn on dos as there was no such a thing back then.
    ooh,just remembered..my 486 had a 500mb hdd.

Thanks
    EP Points

i got ya tron,
    SUBST drive1: to emulate like A:
    [drive2path] like a cd drive d:\Dir'sName

in dos type
    Subst A: d:\dos2

to delete it type subst a: /d

also

tron go here and check out Quick Menu 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKjJ56c56PQ

Quote Originally Posted by tronworld View Post
    thanks guys.i'm just installing freedos now.i decided to go pure dos so its formatting the hdd as we speak.
    gonna be fun getting back into it.god,i miss my 486.
    thanks for the tip zorlon...been there,done that.even used to use dosbox.decided to get my old pc from the cupboard and have a dos dedicated machine.
    486! that is Awesome what Mhz? and the specs

awesome new
    http://www.multimediaware.com/qv/
    has updated his Dos :
    MP4 AVI (incl. DivX) MPG MOV DL CEL, FLI, FLC Animated GIF VideoCD and CD-i BMP GIF JPG PCX TGA MP1 MP2 MP3 Ogg Vorbis VOC WAV
    Player to 2.60

i got neogeo "neocps" arcade working and preconfigured,also dos neogeo pocket along with dos neogeocd,
    Neogocd Can Use the shsuhd Driver,Allows Mounting of ISO files on the fly

i'll upload soon..where do i upload here? can i use zippyshare or is it gay like some weird Zone place
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-March-2015 at 15:18.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Please, deadmouse, edit your posts instead of double posting and post whatever you want to share in the Upload Services subforums, it will have more visibility there.
    Make sure to tag your thread titles properly accordingly to the pinned threads there and don't forget to code your links by using the code tags instead of the url ones [*code]linkgoeshere[*/code] so no link is clickable. Thanks.

Thanks

gave up on this p4 system as a dos machine.cant get the sound drivers for dos.just spent the last week installing
    winuae and have it as a dedicated amiga machine.was a git trying to find the drivers for the sound card but eventually
    found them.still no dos drivers though.
    really enjoying reliving my amiga days...i have an old compaq laptop hanging around somewhere.i'll give that a try as a dos machine.
    at least for now i can play the dos games that also came out for amiga.ribbit.
    Last edited by tronworld; 15th-March-2015 at 17:14. Reason: forgot last sentence.

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah sorry,i'm trying...just all gettery about this ....been editing them on subject matter,i have to start a new on new subjects tho....and no one says anything in between

no giving up..what sound card do you have?
    What Is The Bus Isa,Pci?
    and what dose yer autoexec.bat and config.sys say..i know u have freedos so the autoexec.bat and config.sys is named something else...post the content of them also ,might be a simple irq or dma or base address error
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 16th-March-2015 at 12:28. Reason: no double posting, please..

Thanks

thanks but its an amiga now.i not only had problems with the sound card but the dvd drive will only read cd's.
    it wouldnt read usb either in dos but is ok with windows.i'll have another go at dos on another computer.
    i see lots suggesting virtual os and dosbox but i want to go dos all the way.will hit you up with some questions
    when i start it.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Windows 98 SE is the earliest OS to support USB (Windows 98 SE was still Dos based or ran on top of Dos), not sure about DVD reading though, don't think I had a dvd reading while still on 98 SE think I was on Windows 2000 at that time so can't be sure off the top of my head anyway.

As for pure dos reading USB I can't see it (I could be wrong though there may be 3rd party drivers made since that USB started that support Dos directly)
    DVD's again came to life after Dos was put to rest, though again there may be 3rd party drivers made since also

As for a pure Dos machine you would need to build up an old standard machine with hardware that is supported by Dos (Sound, Graphics ect ect), also note that the file system Fat has limitations like file size and file names (e.g. USB was never supported, though as stated above there may of been drivers made since)

Dos does have certain limitations to today's OS systems (I'm not talking about multi tasking that dos oblivious does not support) multi core and multi cpu support will not be support by dos neither will some of the more advanced graphics chipset features and memory features

If you are just after it for pure Dos games that is fine though do be aware you do need a full restart for some games to run that use different setups to activate certain memory requirements ect
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-March-2015 at 13:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]