Thread: Bsnes with NTSC plugins

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Bsnes with NTSC plugins

So I have downloaded version 0.75 and it has Blargg's NTSC filter plugins but not the ability to go fullscreen and has multi-platform support, e.i. NES,SNES,gameboy etc...

does anyone know (and have) a version that has Blargg's NTSC filter plugins and that has the saem features as the newer one?

or just updated filters would be better
    Last edited by Carrot Killz; 27th-January-2015 at 00:22.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

2007.01.09 is the last update, it's version 0.2.2 of the plugin for NES & SNES at least 0.2.3 for SMS

http://slack.net/~ant/ is the official site

What features might you be talking about that Blargg's is missing???

P.S. these are built into the emulators but as BSNES is newer than the plugin I can't see it having any improvements to it

bsnes was last updated in 03/08/2012 as version 0.87 with separate 32bit/64bit versions, but as I stated I can't see it being any different as far as the filter goes, though it is possible (P.S. I don't do a lot of emulation on PC now so not looked at this emulator recently, I emulate more on my Xbox now via my TV)

By the looks of it they have finished with bsnes as they no longer have it on the official site, it's only 3rd party sites that store this now :/

ZSNES that also uses this was last updated January 24, 2007 (2007.01.24) to version 1.51 possibly just to update with that filter

ZSNES official site is still alive at least at http://www.zsnes.com/, the only things is they did not go for pure accuracy so uses speed hacks ect and gets full speed on lower end machines (accuracy does not mean it runs games any better it just just emulates the hardware more accurately but the games should operate the same in either, maybe the odd game that requires more accurate emulating without speed hacks over all both should produce the same end results though with only a few minor exception)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-January-2015 at 09:25.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CX53aSX.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	43517
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIt0aMp.png 
Views:	192 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	43518

The above one is 0.75 which has support for Blarggs's plugins

The second one is 0.88 which doesnt have support for Blarggs's plugins but has multi platform support when it started turning into Higan.

I emailed Blargg to see if he has updated NTSC plugins for bsnes 0.88 and up.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://byuu.org/emulation/higan/

Higan is the new emulator by the way bsnes stopped at version 0.88

Nothing newer seems to have included the filter, this has nothing to do with the filter programmer but more to do with the emulator programmer

I would go try out Zsnes instead that has this filter in and works fine in full screen mode
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-January-2015 at 16:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I just really hope Byuu makes Higan with filter plugin support,then it would be perfect

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Can't see it to be honest, it is accurate display wise, as much as any emulator is the only difference is the display screen used, so push that through a TV out to a retro TV you get the same display as an actual SNES running on a Retro TV

The NTSC filter is clever is a way but it is still not accurate to an actual TV out to a real retro TV (CRT TV if you want to be technical)

Personally I'm glad these got fazed out and we have HD TV's and you can have HQx filtering in most emulators

ZSNES is worth using though the games are as accurate in both ZSNES and BSNES the only real difference is that one uses speed hacks the other does not as a side effect you require a higher spec PC to run accurate hardware emulation that in turn does not make the game play more accurate at all, as it happens the first game I done a quick test with does not work in either emulator but snes9x ran it perfect that also uses a lot of speed hacks (It was Super Bomberman (BS) a Japanese broadcast game)

So unless you know a game that just will not work in ZSNES or actually has in game issues that works perfect in BSNES there is no real need to use BSNES over ZSNES as in general what is produced game wise from both is identical, it's just the background information (the processing of producing what you see in game play) that you don't physically see that is different in each emulator
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-January-2015 at 20:42.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]