Thread: Problem with opening GCN RAR files

Thanks

Default Problem with opening GCN RAR files

Alright, I am new at this and have never done this before. I have just recently downloaded Tales of Symphonia and have a bunch of RAR files, each named

rare-sos.rar
    rare-sos.r00
    rare.sos.r01

all the way up to 20. Opening these files using WinRAR individually doesn't work (Something about needing the next volume to do that), extracting all the files to a set location gives me more RAR files, every one of them named 'rare-sos', and when I click on an individual file, it gives me a GCM file that I cannot move out of the "Evaluation copy" folder. Is there anything that I need to do to fix this issue, or am I just doing something completely wrong?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

It's a split archive, you don't extract all the parts individually.

Use 7zip, extract from the first part only (in this case in would be rare-sos.rar).

7zip is free and has better overall compatibility.

Spoiler warning:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just throwin this out there,

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...TSC-U-(Redump)

incase you want a proper image with none of the hassle.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Alright, I decided to do the whole process in 7-zip. I extracted the file in a folder, and got the Tales of Symphonia Folder, with the contents CD1, CD2, and something called 'rare'. I open the first folder and everything is the same file. I moved the contents of disk 1, so I am looking in Disk 2's folder. Everything says 'rare-sos2'. What do I do now?
    Also, once I get the file, do I keep all the other RAR files with it? Because when I extract any of the files and get a GCM file, I get a message from the emulator that says "d3dx11_42.dll, update your DX11 runtime, please". I have no idea what this means. All tutorials I watch online have NO issue with winRAR or 7-zip, as the files conveniently work for them.

Yet ANOTHER problem. I decided to use winRAR to open the download, then dragged the correct rare-sos.rar file to the desktop. I use 7-Zip to extract it, and get rare.sos.gcm. Okay, this looks correct. But it is in an evaluation copy window, whatever that means, so I try to drag that to the desktop. I get an immediate 'Data error: rare-sos.gcm'. What is this?
    Last edited by deadlegion; 6th-January-2015 at 06:41. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

The .gcm file is a disc image, similar to .iso but specific to Gamecube games. Your emulator will handle those fine, but it looks like you're missing a .dll file for your PC OS.
    Update Direct X (that's what it means by "update your DX11 runtime").

Don't bother using winrar, just stick to 7zip. Winrar is just confusing things for you.
    And please don't double post use Edit Post.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 6th-January-2015 at 06:43.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I don't know what that is or how to do that. Do I have to put it in a specific plugin folder? Or do I just put it on my computer and that's it?