Thread: [REQ] Where can i download the "No-Intro" roms?

Thanks
    EP Points

Question [REQ] Where can i download the "No-Intro" roms?

I download all my roms from Emuparadise, but I've recently read something about these "No-Intro" roms which are supposed to be the real deal. Some of my roms do not run on the emulators i use, and i can't help but wonder if there may be something wrong with the rom i am using.

So onto my question, where do i find these roms, without catching any malware/viruses/drive-by-downloads/etc?

Another thing, do all rom sites zip their files? The unzipping process is the only thing i don't really like about EP, especially with ISOs (the converting).. ugh. I know the zipping is done to save on server space, but surely, somewhere, there is a reputable site that avoids this?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You will find no one leaves roms/isos unzipped, its a waste of space and there is a good chance of file corruption .

you can find a no intro set on here but no intro is always being updated with redumped roms but Goodset is just as good, I keep updated on both.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

What is a Goodset exactly? ..are those the zips with multiple versions/regions of the same game in them (the kind found at edgeemu)? If so, i don't really think i need all of that..?

Do i have to unzip roms, or could an emulator/core do it for me? ..could save me some serious space if i could leave them all zipped up
    Last edited by Double44; 15th-December-2014 at 12:02.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Goodset has all regions/hacks/translations in a single archive, ya edgeemu has a old set on there.

Some emulators let you run a rom zipped so there is no need to uncompress.

Edit: scratch that, ALOT of emulators let you run roms compressed.
    Last edited by Warrior; 15th-December-2014 at 11:49.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh that's sweet.. wish i could find a place that zips the PSX ISOs as bin/cues

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Double44 View Post
    Oh that's sweet.. wish i could find a place that zips the PSX ISOs as bin/cues
    Sorry but what I mentioned only applies to roms, not disc images AKA isos, they must be extracted to run.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Sorry but what I mentioned only applies to roms, not disc images AKA isos, they must be extracted to run.
    I'm gonna have to do some digging on that to be sure, because running the iso compressed could save loads of space in the long run, especially considering the storage space on my phone.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm gonna have to do some digging on that to be sure, because running the iso compressed could save loads of space in the long run, especially considering the storage space on my phone.
    Disc images need to be loaded with the .cue or .ccd file to be read properly and a rom is tiny so it takes no time at all to load in a emulator, a disc image is far bigger and would need to be decompressed temporarily to load which would take a long time and it would have to have advanced programming to read the cue/ccd on its own, see where i'm goin with this?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Disc images need to be loaded with the .cue or .ccd file to be read properly and a rom is tiny so it takes no time at all to load in a emulator, a disc image is far bigger and would need to be decompressed temporarily to load which would take a long time and it would have to have advanced programming to read the cue/ccd on its own, see where i'm goin with this?
    Oh, well darn. I wouldn't put the idea completely out of the question though, especially in this day and age. Decompressing to a temporary folder would almost defeat the purpose of storing them compressed, unless the temp folder was cleared every time the emulator was closed. This could severely fragment hard drives over time, but for flash storage i don't really see the issue.

Considering the N64 was in the same generation as the PS1, its kind of amazing that the N64 roms are so small.. they packed a lot into those cartridges

BTW, i just found the No-Intro roms
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 17th-December-2014 at 17:20. Reason: sorry, no offsite linking

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Oh, well darn. I wouldn't put the idea completely out of the question though, especially in this day and age. Decompressing to a temporary folder would almost defeat the purpose of storing them compressed, unless the temp folder was cleared every time the emulator was closed. This could severely fragment hard drives over time, but for flash storage i don't really see the issue.

Considering the N64 was in the same generation as the PS1, its kind of amazing that the N64 roms are so small.. they packed a lot into those cartridges

BTW, i just found the No-Intro roms
    Low polygon models dont take much space at all, why the N64 games were so small

That no intro set might do ya but, its from last year, just a weeeeee out of date
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 17th-December-2014 at 17:20. Reason: quote edited

Thanks

Do you mean like rooms that don't have the videos in then and stuff to make them smaller? U can find some on the pirate bay. For psp use umd generator and u can remove them yourself. Or popstation for psx. Does anyone know if free mcboot works with ps2 slim

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Pirate Bay is for people who love to get tracked and get viruses/bad altered dumps/rips.

You should of asked in the appropriate section regarding Freemcboot but it will only work on the slim models with the center strip decal, if its the last models without that then no, the freemcboot exploit will not work since the hardware on the board that allowed it was removed, you would have t chip it or use swap magic.

Thanks

Pirate Bay is for people who love to get tracked and get viruses/bad altered dumps/rips.

You should of asked in the appropriate section regarding Freemcboot but it will only work on the slim models with the center strip decal, if its the last models without that then no, the freemcboot exploit will not work since the hardware on the board that allowed it was removed, you would have t chip it or use swap magic.
    I'm a bit confused, is this about the alterations at startup, like videos and text? Is this a sign of "viruses/bad altered dumps/rips", or are you just referring to PB in particular, vs. a "real deal" rom?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzaki View Post
    I'm a bit confused, is this about the alterations at startup, like videos and text? Is this a sign of "viruses/bad altered dumps/rips", or are you just referring to PB in particular, vs. a "real deal" rom?
    I'm a little confused by your working but,

Pirate bay is just crap dumps thrown on there with no regard for proper dumping and preservation of the original media, reason its just called "The Pirate Bay"

If you want proper sets look for No-Intro for roms , Goodtools is also a valid option for roms.

TOSEC , Redump and Trurip are the best when it comes to disc images aka isos.

I personally prefer Redump as my preservation choice.