Thread: Help a noob set up his Goldeneye

Thanks

Default Help a noob set up his Goldeneye

I'm a first timer when it comes to emulation. Found my old copy of Goldeneye in the basement and couldn't wait to play it. Put it in the N64 on my 40" HDTV andddd...not how I want to remember one of my favorite games ever. Needless to say it looks much better running on my PC with Project 64 1.6. A few problems though

All the animations are sped up. I figured this was because it was running at 60fps but I've watched videos on Youtube of others running it at 60fps and their animations appear normal. What's the cause of this?

There is a pop in the audio that happens every few seconds. I checked the sync audio and game option but it didn't seem to fix this.

I read somewhere that it's recomended to install Jabo's 1.6.1 patch, which I found, but it's a Windows installer patch, which I have no idea how to install. So how the hell do you install this thing?

My specs are AMD Athlon II X4 2.8GHz
    Radeon HD 5850
    6 gigs RAM
    My AMD drivers are also up to date

So I don't think any of these could be hardware related

Any tips on how to get Goldeneye to run as great as possible full screen (is 1080p possible?) would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    EP Points

I recall reading somewhere that there's a special build of a different emulator (not pj64) that runs it at 60fps, not sure how you'd go about accomplishing that on PJ64 though. Someone else here may have more information on that.

Also keep in mind that, unless your PC monitor is nearly as large as your HDTV, one reason why it looks better on your computer is most likely that the image is being stretched over a significantly larger area on the HDTV; think of it as zooming in on a picture in mspaint or photoshop; it's going to show up with much rougher edges than it would at its normal size. For games that are pre-PS2/Gamecube/Xbox I always recommend connecting your PC to a CRT (tube-style) TV and playing them on that; they act as a natural "filter" and make those games look as close to how they originally looked as possible.

As for the popping sound, you can try running a newer version of Project 64, as 1.6 is quite old. You can find the latest version on their official website here.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Alright, I tried Project 64 2.1 and it actually fixes the audio problem.

I'm still having the issue of everything moving too fast. How do I fix that? Also, if I try to expand to full screen there are some effects issues with fire, bullet holes, etc. And in full screen and windowed, there is no sky box. Am I missing some more things to download?