Thread: Gauntlet Legends for Dreamcast CORRUPTED!!!

Thanks

Unhappy Gauntlet Legends for Dreamcast CORRUPTED!!!

Hi, I just wanted to let any Mod know that the Gauntlet Legends for Dreamcast here is corrupted. Not because it isn't selfboot like many MANY members fall into but rather that it CAN'T be converted to selfboot. I tried using Boot Dreams, and I tried all 4 options. #1. Audio/Data, no to the question that states that the file is a Katana and asks if you want to scramble it, so I answered no, and I made the cdi, and when I try running it in NullDC, (not going to burn it to disc) it just hangs at the Sega logo forever. #2 Data/Data, again no to the question, try running new cdi in NullDC, again forever hang at Sega logo. #3. Audi/Data, this time YES to the scrambling file question, try running it in NullDC, and this time, it get's past the Sega logo, but just goes back to Dreamcast's main menu, ( the one with 4 icons, game, memory card, music, options. And if I push game, it again get's past Sega logo and loops right back to main menu again. #4. Data/Data, and YES again to question to scramble file, try running it in NullDC, and again get's past Sega Logo and loops right back to main menu. So if I try just running game as is, it just goes to music section of Dreamcast because it's not self bootable. And if I try using Boot Dreams, first two options just cause forever hang at Sega Logo. Second two options just cause forever looping back to main menu after Sega Logo. Then I used IMG Burn to convert Original Cdi from this site to ISO, then I use Bin 2 Boot GUI which is a drag and drop self boot creator utility, which is written in 16 bit, thus I run it in Virtual Box with Windows XP Home Edition 32 Bit since my native OS is Windows 8.1 BING Home Premium Edition Update 1 64 Bit, so I drag ISO file onto Bin 2 Boot GUi and it creates self boot cdi, as it said so, then I take cdi file back to native OS and run it in NullDC, and I'm right back to forever looping at Sega Logo. And I KNOW it's not me doing something wrong because I've downloaded Gauntlet Legends from you guys in the past before on a slower older computer, also running Windows 8.1 BING Home Premium Edition Update 1 64 Bit, and I was successfully able to use one of the 4 options on Boot Dreams,(can't remember which option actually worked) but all I DO know is that one of them worked and I was successfully able to convert your guy's cdi file to a self boot cdi file, and it loaded in NullDC perfectly but now on this new PC, I try to do this and NO options work. So I know it has to be on your end with your file. Since this new PC is extremely fast with same OS as slower PC I know it's not the PC either. Thus in the end I ended up resorting to downloading an already self bootable version of Gauntlet Legends from -----. So I have working copy, but one I had to download rather than one I successfully converted myself. So please check your DC files and make sure they're what that they're supposed to be, free from defects, errors, not corrupted, etc. Thanks for any replies or ideas in case it does turn out to be on my end after all.

So now I have tried the old fashinoned method: FASTBOOT, which is right on this site. The one where you mount the cdi in Daemon Tools and copy the content of the cd to the Data folder of FASTBOOT then you take the 1ST_READ.BIN and the IP.BIN files and poplace them in FASTBOOT's main directory, and you run BINHACK.exe and type 1ST_READ.BIN, IP.BIN, and 0,0, then you put those two files back into the data folder and run b2b_game.bat and it creates a self bootable cdi file that's just called image.cdi or something like that and GUESS WHAT: THE FUCKING GAME STILL DOESN'T FUCKING WORK!!!!!!!!!!! I followed every GODDAMN step to the tee, and when I run it in NullDC it just loops back to main menu after Sega Logo, and Chankast doesn't work either! I've also tried a few other random DreamCast games from this site, and still nothing!! I see 37 views on this post as I type this! 37 viwes but not one goddamn reply! So you know what? That's fine! But if your not gonna reply then at least do us all a favor and FIX YOUR FUCKING GODDAMN DC FILES ALREADY!!!!!!!! For Fuck's Sake!!!!
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 4th-December-2014 at 12:41. Reason: NO DOUBLE POSTING! - no adverts
    ChrisEvil

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHarbringer666 View Post
    So now I have tried the old fashinoned method: FASTBOOT, which is right on this site. The one where you mount the cdi in Daemon Tools and copy the content of the cd to the Data folder of FASTBOOT then you take the 1ST_READ.BIN and the IP.BIN files and poplace them in FASTBOOT's main directory, and you run BINHACK.exe and type 1ST_READ.BIN, IP.BIN, and 0,0, then you put those two files back into the data folder and run b2b_game.bat and it creates a self bootable cdi file that's just called image.cdi or something like that and GUESS WHAT: THE FUCKING GAME STILL DOESN'T FUCKING WORK!!!!!!!!!!! I followed every GODDAMN step to the tee, and when I run it in NullDC it just loops back to main menu after Sega Logo, and Chankast doesn't work either! I've also tried a few other random DreamCast games from this site, and still nothing!! I see 37 views on this post as I type this! 37 viwes but not one goddamn reply! So you know what? That's fine! But if your not gonna reply then at least do us all a favor and FIX YOUR FUCKING GODDAMN DC FILES ALREADY!!!!!!!! For Fuck's Sake!!!!
    There are a few reasons why you might not have a reply yet...

1: Wall of text, most people will not bother to read it, it needs breaking up into paragraphs.
    2: People that have looked at this thread and read your post don't have a solution.
    3: It hasn't even been a day since your post, it could take a few days to get a reply.
    4: This part of the forum is normally checked by the site owner, MasJ. He will usually do his best to fix any problems people encounter.
    5: Bad language will just make people not want to help.

If you are prepared to be patient, someone will probably have an answer for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackhammer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There's a shit load of posts all over these forums that are just walls of texts and piles of replies to boot! Plus, I made that foul second reply to get your guy's attention, cuz I observe the behavior and actions of people all over forums on all different types of websites and one thing I've noticed from all of it is that making a post like that will net you a reply or two, often within minutes, and wouldn't you know it?! I was right lol!
    ChrisEvil

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

There's a shit load of posts all over these forums that are just walls of texts and piles of replies to boot! Plus, I made that foul second reply to get your guy's attention, cuz I observe the behavior and actions of people all over forums on all different types of websites and one thing I've noticed from all of it is that making a post like that will net you a reply or two, often within minutes, and wouldn't you know it?! I was right lol!
    But the reply wasn't the solution to your original question, and you don't want the wrong type of attention.

I understand your frustration at not having an immediate solution, but it doesn't always work like that. Give it a day or two, if you don't have a solution, I'll move this thread to the emulation problems section, I think it will get more attention there.

Thanks

Can you move it right away for me then? Are you a Mod? Plus like I said in my first post, I downloaded the game from ---- and it was already self bootable and it runs perfectly so I don't need an instant solution. My true frustration lies in the fact that #1 The ISO uses a shit server called cloud stores somethin and the download speed is God awful, like 30 minutes to download whereas here, it's like under a minute and somethimes not even that. And #2 is that not every DC game gonna be guranteed to have an already self bootable version so when the time comes and I need to do it myself, I'm SCREWED!! Plus I got excited when I found FASTBOOT on this site, and I am very quick to anger when something doesn't work the way I think it should, and when I get excited about it and then let down I get dangerousely pissed and obsessed. So I was already set off and in a royally pissed off mood about the FASTBOOT method not working eihter, so then when I went to check back on here to see if there were any replies yet, and there weren't that just added to my mood, then when I saw all the views, that was the last straw and I flew off the handle on my second post cuz I felt that people were reading my post but just ignoring me or were too lazy to try and help. So yeah, that's what happened lol.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 4th-December-2014 at 02:29. Reason: no advertising
    ChrisEvil

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Can you move it right away for me then? Are you a Mod? Plus like I said in my first post, I downloaded the game from ----- and it was already self bootable and it runs perfectly so I don't need an instant solution. My true frustration lies in the fact that #1 The ISO uses a shit server called cloud stores somethin and the download speed is God awful, like 30 minutes to download whereas here, it's like under a minute and somethimes not even that. And #2 is that not every DC game gonna be guranteed to have an already self bootable version so when the time comes and I need to do it myself, I'm SCREWED!! Plus I got excited when I found FASTBOOT on this site, and I am very quick to anger when something doesn't work the way I think it should, and when I get excited about it and then let down I get dangerousely pissed and obsessed. So I was already set off and in a royally pissed off mood about the FASTBOOT method not working eihter, so then when I went to check back on here to see if there were any replies yet, and there weren't that just added to my mood, then when I saw all the views, that was the last straw and I flew off the handle on my second post cuz I felt that people were reading my post but just ignoring me or were too lazy to try and help. So yeah, that's what happened lol.
    I get the feeling you lack patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    you don't want the wrong type of attention.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 4th-December-2014 at 02:29. Reason: quoted post edited

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I have a question: Not to sound like a smart ass or anything like that but why can't you guys, (the main file uploaders on the main site) just have already self bootable DC files? Other sites, namely ---- has them, and a few others. But what is it about the majority of main Rom sites that feel the need to make non self bootable cdi versions of DC files? I'll never truly understand that. You guys have all sorts of shit, such as almost every game in existence, musics, comics, manuals, etc and even the taboo...BIOS FILES! LOL So what is so difficult about making self bootable DC games and having every game on the main site's DC Isos section already self bootable straight out of the box? Please explain
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 4th-December-2014 at 12:40. Reason: no ads
    ChrisEvil

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Those shares were uploaded a long time ago. Nobody can upload stuff to the main site but the owner (MasJ).
    ----- is different 'cos the use a hosting service afaik so I wouldn't be surprised if all the staff (and possibly other people) upload that stuff.

If you want a DC game and aren't satisfied with the main site I suggest you first check the forum uploads, then create a thread in the requests section if you can't get what you want/need.
    And be as specific as you can...there is at least one person here that has quite a few DC games but you need to ask for a gdi dump (for emulation) or a cdi that will fit your media size (many people only use 700mb discs, but with some games better cdi versions require larger discs than that).

I think we've heard enough about ------ now, please stop that.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 4th-December-2014 at 12:41. Reason: site referenced removed

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

So you removed all the links to that one website huh? lol What? Can't take the competitiion with any other site? Don't want any body here going to other sites? That's real low.

HOLY FUCK!!! It really WAS on my end after all! Sorry about that! Well this is sure embarassing as HELL LOL! Well no matter, all that matters is that I finally successfully converted Gauntlet Legends to selfboot...MYSELF, with YOUR file at LONG LAST HA HA!!! So all this time, it was all my fault!
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 4th-December-2014 at 21:36. Reason: NO DOUBLE POSTING!
    ChrisEvil

Thanks
    EP Points

What a twit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

So you removed all the links to that one website huh? lol What? Can't take the competitiion with any other site? Don't want any body here going to other sites? That's real low.
    It's not a nice thing to do for a new member to go advertising for other sites while at the same time asking for help. It's not low, it's common sense.

And don't double post. That's also in the rules. Please, read them before posting again if you still haven't done it yet. Thanks.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-General-Rules

Thanks

Now what it was was a setting in the emulator itself. There's this option to set what kind of cable connection you want( I guess virtually) there's 4 options #1. VGA0(RGB #2.VGA2(RGB. #3. TV(RGB). And #4.TV(VBS/Y+S/C) Now I originally had it set on TV RGB which is what was causing the forever looping back to main menu after Sega Logo, and if I change it to VGA2 RGB, same thing. So it either has to be set on TV VBS/Y+S/C or VGA0 RGB. I personally chose VGA0 RGB cuz I heard that VGA is the best output on a real DC thus I figured that the VGA setting would be the same for NullDC, unless someone tells me otherwise. Now I don't actually know why exactly the setting would cause the game to forever loop but all I do know is that for whatever reason, it just does.

EDIT: I have a few questions still for you guys: #1. Why does the setting matter for the cable connection matter? Why does those two options cause forever looping? Is having the VGA setting (the one that works) better than the TV option (the one that works) and if not which one do you guys recommend?

#2. If those two settings is what was causing the forever looping, then why was the Gauntlet Legends I downloaded from you know who's site able to boot correctly on that setting? (I believe that version of Gauntlet Legends was maybe PAL)

#3. Why must I BINHACK the 1ST_READ.BIN and IP.BIN before Boot Dreams can succesfully make it self boot? According to the tutorials they only claim that you really need Boot Dreams, and BINHACK is never mentioned not once. There's 4 ways to make self boot. #1.FASTBOOT which BINHACK IS Mentioned in. #2. Bin 2 Boot BAT which claims all you have to do is put non self boot CDI file in there and run the bat, yet it doesn't work without BINHACK . #3. BIN 2 BOOT GUI which is a drag and drop for non self boot cdi which again requires BINHACK and #4 Boot Dreams, which is the best one as it can even make self boot for games with Audio as the first track so you don't have to sacrifice the audio like you do with all the other ones, yet you still need BINHACK, which in the end means you STILL need Daemon Tools/Lite, and to copy the content to a folder just to gain access to the 1st_read.bin and ip.bin to bin hack them, so that leads me into my other question

#4 Why the HELL do these other options, namely Bin 2 Boot Bat and Bin 2 Boot GUI even exist if you still need to go the long route of Daemon Tools and Bin hack? They claim that you just need to either drag and drop non self boot cdi onto GUI (BIN 2 Boot GUI) or you need to put non self boot cdi into folder and click on BAT (Bin 2 Boot BAT) so my next question is

#5. Am I still doing something wrong then if I have to first bin hack the 1st_read.bin and ip.bin? Am I supposed to be able to do it simply without having to do that like these other 2 methods claim? And if I do need to bin hack still why isn't part of those tuts and why does those simpler methods exist when you still have to do the methods in the old fashioned FASTBOOT?

#6. I have downloaded a 32 bit version of BINHACK which will run in ALL OS and ALL versions. The original BINHACK is 16 bit thus Virtual Machine's running XP is required. But not anymore. With Boot Dreams installed, and BinHACK32 you can now do the WHOLE THING on the native OS! So with permission I would like to upload the bin hack 32 bit to make it easier for all the members here who have to run Virtual Machines just to convert non self boot images to self boot cdi's. Boot Dreams is the recommended method, so with permission, I'd also like to upload the installer, or perhaps the installer and BINHACK32 in one package.

EDIT AGAIN: So upon further testing, I've found that you actually DON'T need to BINHACK the 1ST_READ.BIN and IP.BIN files for the Bin 2

Boot BAT or the Bin 2 Boot GUI! It really is just a drag and drop for the gui one and a put in the same folder for the BAT one. Sometimes

the BAT doesn't work, so you have to click the actual Bin 2 Boot exe, and type the file name of your game, and it'll work. Also the game

has to be in Bin or ISO format to work, if it's already in Cdi format it WON'T work. So for people who want to have self boot, Option 1 is

to just download the game from here, use img burn to convert the non self boot dci to a bin and it'll automatically create a cue as well.

Then make a Windows XP Shared folder and link VirtualBox to it, drag the Bin and Cue files into it, run the Xp inside VB, and drag the bin

and cue into the SELFBOOT folder, and either click the BAT and if it works, GREAT, if not, click the Bin 2 Boot exe and type

insertnamehere.bin and it'll make a cdi called image.cdi, rename it to whatever you want.cdi and drag it back into the Windows XP shared

folder from the Xp end, log off, and shut down Xp/VirtualBox, drag the new cdi out of the Windows XP Shared folder and put it somewhere,

run NullDC, and run the Game!

Option 2 is for the Bin 2 Boot GUI which is even more simple than the SELFBOOT option. Follow all previous steps except, where you

normally do the BAT option, instead, open up Bin 2 Boot GUI and a blue box appears, put the bin and cue into same folder where Bin 2 Boot

GUI is located then drag Bin file onto blue box and it automatically makes Cdi, again named image.cdi, then just do the rest of the

previous steps and your done!

Option 3 is for people who want to use the old fashioned long drawn out FASTBOOT method. Download game from here, and mount it in Daemon

Tools, then copy entire content of cd into folder named whatever you want. Put folder into Windows Xp Shared Folder, then run VB and when

on XP, drag folder out and dump contents from folder into Data folder located in FASTBOOT folder, then drag out 1ST_READ.BIN, and IP.BIN

and put in main directory, run BINHACK.exe and type 1ST_READ.BIN, IP.BIN and 0,0 that is Zero Coma Zero, then when window dissappears,

drag 1ST_READ.BIN and IP.BIN back into DATA Folder, run b2b_Game.bat and it'll make cdi file, again named image.cdi, then follow rest of

the previous steps and your done!

Final Option: Tired of having to use Virtual Machines, then look no further than here!!! For people who want to make self boot cdi's on

NATIVE OS who have 64 bit versions then download the 32 Bit version of BINHACK.exe, and install the latest Boot Dreams. Then download game

from here, mount it in Daemon Tools, copy entire content from CD into folder named whatever you want, then take the 1ST_READ.BIN, and

IP.BIN files and place them in the BINHACK32 folder, rename BinHack32.exe to BINHACK.EXE, and click on it then type 1ST_READ.BIN, IP.BIN

and 0,0, that is Zero Coma Zero, then when Window dissappears take both files and place them back into the CD contents folder you created

earlier, then open Boot Dreams, have it in Disc Juggler mode which is default anyway, and for self boot folder option, point it to the

folder that has the CD contents inside, for name, whatever you want, and for the options between Audio/Data, or Data/Data, that's entirely

dependant on the DC game you have, and if it asks you if you want to scramble file, again that's de[endant, so there's basically 4

options, Audio/Data with file not scrambled, Data/Data with file not scrambled, Audio/Data with file scrambled, and Data/Data with file

scrambled. So you'll just have to trial and error until you get the one that works for you. So click Process, answer the file scramble

question of YES, or NO, then click where you want to save the new cdi file, and click Save, and a Windows will open showing status, and

when it dissappears, and you see a box that saya the cdi was created successfully, click OK, put the file where you want, run NullDC, and

your done!! Whew!! I hope the Mods like my tut, and I'm still waiting on my verdict as to whether or not I'm allowed to provide a link to

the BinHack32 and Boot Dreams Installations. Thank You

NOTE: I have removed the MEGA link from this tut because I have removed the item from MEGA and that is because I have made a NEW MEGA account and am no longer using the other one. I have re uploaded the file to the new MEGA account but I won't reupload it here because this section is usually only checked by Site Owner as the Mods said and so I will be re posting this tut in a more appropriate section of the forums with the MEGA link included. I will make an edit to this post once I figure out the right place. Thanks
    Last edited by DarkHarbringer666; 7th-December-2014 at 01:44.
    ChrisEvil