Thread: could my pc run dolphin?

Thanks

Default could my pc run dolphin?

hi guys im new and i would like to find out if my pc could run dolphin at all? - cheers

heres my specs :

Processor: AMD A6-6400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD 8470D Graphics(2 CPUs),3.9GHz
    RAM: 8.0GBS

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes it should run a lot of games just fine, use there compat list though and notes taken to tweak each game

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

thanks mate much appreciated

Thanks

Also bro, you want to use an old build to get the fastest speeds, I use the astonishingly fast (in comparison to the newer builds) Dolphin-win-x64-r6515. Check it out, it seems to be the one to go to.

Thanks

nah man, bad advice. you want the latest build. they're faster than the older builds by a ton (as of the last three months) and much more accurate. only use old builds if your pc absolutely cant run the games you want full speed, because older versions have desynch HLE audio which means sound will be full speed even during slowdowns. otherwise latest is always the better choice now.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by xerxespersrex View Post
    nah man, bad advice. you want the latest build. they're faster than the older builds by a ton (as of the last three months) and much more accurate.
    The majority of the time this is true, yes. However there are still quite a few games that work best on particular builds, which aren't necessarily the newest.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

the TC wanted to know generally if his hardware could run dolphin and in that case the best answer would be one that gives him the best performance. the older versions of dolphin are really only better performance for ancient gpus, using the crappy d3d9 backend which doesnt exist anymore. in the last couple months specifically the dev builds of dolphin have been getting tons of cpu optimizations, there was even one today which gives a ~4% increase in speed to the cpu emulator. if we were back in dolphin's 3.0 era where performance was being sacrificed for accuracy it might still be better to use the old hackish builds, but since build 4.0-3000 or so the devs have found a nice balance between the two and personally i've had a better experience around the board using latest.

Thanks
    EP Points

You're actually both right. I'm running an overlocked i5 3570k with a GTX 680 in my main PC and the speed boost in recent versions has been massive, particularly with the Direct 3D renderer. On the other hand, if you're running more modest hardware you may well find the older versions give you better results. I tried some of the more recent builds on my Macbook Air a while ago and found the earliest Mac builds from about 3-4 years ago were a lot faster. Metroid Prime is one of the more demanding games on Dolphin and with those older versions it was hovering around 25-30fps. Not perfect, but very playable and honestly pretty impressive for a laptop with integrated graphics, let alone one that isn't exactly made for games to begin with.

So yeah, try the most recent builds but also make sure you grab a couple of the older ones for good measure. There actually used to be a sticky thread on the Dolphin forums with recommended versions for different hardware configurations. It should still be there, but it it's not, you might want to post on there with your specs and see what versions people suggest for you.

Thanks

I have integrated HD graphics card and the new builds run like crap (10 fps at 2x resolution on a good day??? That's ridiculous!). Old builds or even the stable 4.0 (I recently found out) run at a constant 25 (which is max for pal) at 2x and even 3x internal resolution - depending on situation. CRAP on your new builds, I do. Crap.
    Last edited by Ramja_Jet; 12th-December-2014 at 10:30.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ramja_Jet View Post
    I have integrated HD graphics card and the new builds run like crap (10 fps at 2x resolution on a good day??? That's ridiculous!). Old builds or even the stable 4.0 (I recently found out) run at a constant 25 (which is max for pal) at 2x and even 3x internal resolution - depending on situation. CRAP on your new builds, I do. Crap.
    Well I crap on your integrated GPU. Get a proper video card