Thread: LOZ: Skyward Sword + Soft modded Wii

Thanks

Default LOZ: Skyward Sword + Soft modded Wii

Hello everyone! I was wondering if someone could help me.
    I burned skyward sowrd on to a dvd-r and ran it through neogamma. The game has smooth scenes but there seems to be a controller issue. Besides the normal amount of calibrating, the wiimote is sluggish. There is some lag when doing moves that require shaking the wiimote, like attacking or rolling.
    Other games, like Metroid trilogy or Muramasa, have no problems with the same controller. Other than maybe re burning the game at a diferent speed, is there maybe another way to narrow the issue down?

Thanks
    EP Points

Try playing the game on a WBFS file with a USB Loader instead as that will have the least amount of issues and no disc read errors.

Also here's a little trick for the Wii Remote Plus I managed to find out for Skyward Sword: If you ever start experiencing motion problems, pull out your sword and slowly swing it around clockwise (just found it easiest to do) and it will fix itself. You should almost NEVER have to open up the menu for callibration.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemongenius View Post
    Try playing the game on a WBFS file with a USB Loader instead as that will have the least amount of issues and no disc read errors.

Also here's a little trick for the Wii Remote Plus I managed to find out for Skyward Sword: If you ever start experiencing motion problems, pull out your sword and slowly swing it around clockwise (just found it easiest to do) and it will fix itself. You should almost NEVER have to open up the menu for callibration.
    Odd fix and never heard of it but if it works I can't knock it, though never had issues with my Motion Plus myself

I totally agree with running from USB though, especially an HDD (USB sticks not so much, but can work well with extra hacks in place), formatted correctly FAT32 (I forget the exact sector size but can dig that info out if needed and how to format it that way) (It does not have to WBFS formatted though that is very much a thing of the past as is running from disc but the use of WBFS managers is still a good thing and file format as WBFS works very very well indeed)

There are tons of USB Loaders out there including neogamma though that sucks to be honest and prefer something like USB Loader GX but that is not the only option a few like Configurable USB Loader aka CFG Loader, I have used a ton playing through a few options but just liked USB Loader GX most but everyone is different
    Last edited by Zorlon; 25th-November-2014 at 13:50.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't buy an hdd right now. I had to replace my laptop internal hdd recently. I think I am going to reburn the game on a different write speed. I used 2x last time but maybe 4x might work or is that too fast a burn for wii games?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Best quality burning speed is the slowest possible, set that to x1 and the burning software will auto adjust to the hardware's lowest speed (sometimes burning at the next speed up is sometimes better but this is rare and totally depends on your hardware, software has nothing to do with it, though recommend just using imgburn, that is free anyway)
    Best quality media is DVD+R, brand never was an issue even with -R's but more the manufacture, hard to explain but there are guides/databases that can help chose the best media

I link info about DVD media if you like and methods to check what you actually have as I said brand has nothing to do with anything as far as quality goes

DVD-R's tend to only be best for consoles that could only read -R media (DVD-R's Range from very very very poor to high quality and brand has very little to do with anything Verbatims for example can be very low quality to high quality)

The Wii reads +R just fine that was released at a later date to -R and was done so as a more quality media to burn to and read back, though even DVD+R's have a range of quality so it is still a good idea to check what you have.

Saying all that though you can change the book type for DVD+R's to DVD-R via software like ImgBurn.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-November-2014 at 19:01.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Those links would be much appreciated. Thankfully, I kept playing the game for a bit and that seemed to improve the motion of my controller. Maybe it is a sign that the motion plus is just on the fritz.
    By the way, does the brand not matter for dual layered dvds? Everyone keeps telling me to only use verbatim.
    Last edited by noobie24; 22nd-November-2014 at 20:27.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Only the quality matters most but Verbatims for DVD+R DL are one of the best most consoles struggle with Dual Layer burnable media to start with

There are other brands just as good as Verbatim though even for DVD+R DL

Even Verbatim have at least 3 different types of DVD+R DL's and 2 different DVD-R's possibly more of both manufactured in different places some being bad some being good

You can use http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia as a guide to help you find the good from the bad

P.S. I'm not sure if the same applies to the Wii but the GameCube reads burned media at a slower speed to retail media so some lag is unavoidable via burned media.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-November-2014 at 05:21.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah pretty sure the Wii reads burned media slower than retail. Never tried any dual layer discs in that console myself tbh.
    HDD is the way to go.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Thank you for all the info. I think I'll just have to get an hdd eventually. Thankfully black Friday is almost here.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you have a USB stick of a reasonable size you can use that for the time being

USB HDD's can be cheap..ish though if you go for a USB 2 HDD that is powered by the wall socket and you avoid the slim ones

My USB drives cost me about £70 but they are 2TB in size so are rather large you can get smaller ones for about half that price and even less

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]