Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sort of early for this....(Steam Sale)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Sort of early for this....(Steam Sale)

Just wondering but who else is ready for the all mighty Gaben to consume what little money we will have during the upcoming holidays through the platform that is Steam?

Honestly, I already have sort of a plan on what to do about it....sort of...kind of....not really

Also, please be respectful of those that do not use Steam or those that do use Steam. Some people use GOG while others do not. I use Steam a bit more than GOG but I find both equally as great.
    Last edited by noraxakun; 13th-November-2014 at 06:28.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Nice thread title.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

It's a clever plan, making you click on the thread to see what it's about

I don't buy games on Steam at all and probably never will, so they're free to put up all the "deals" they like
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Steam? What? I still don't know what this thread is about.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Steam? What? I still don't know what this thread is about.
    I think it's about Steam.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah...it was...totally meant to confuse people .....nah, I'm sorry guys, I really should have made this less ominous. I'll make it more clear in my first post.
    Last edited by noraxakun; 13th-November-2014 at 06:23.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I have used GOG but never paid for anything. What's Steam

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28software%29

Also, don't take me posting that link as me being an ass. This just better describes it than I could because I'd probably confuse the hell out of you. XD

Thanks
    EP Points

Have they (valve) put out any games in particular lately, or do they just usually do big sales around this time of year? I've never actually checked into any of the steam sales so idk whats up with that.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

GoG = Good Old Games
    STEAM = a very wide selection of Mainstream, indie, f2p, and Valve source engine games, as well as old favorites like KotoR 1 and 2. STEAM includes a Messenger service to help you get in to multi-player games with your friends. STEAM has also stated that if they go out of business, they intend to release all games available on their service DRM-free.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 13th-November-2014 at 08:12.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    Have they (valve) put out any games in particular lately, or do they just usually do big sales around this time of year? I've never actually checked into any of the steam sales so idk whats up with that.
    To answer your first question, not in particularly. I mean, the last Valve published game that I've seen put out is Dota 2. For your second question, it's literally a MASSIVE sale that is pretty much summed up in this video:
    Religious Slandering was not the intent for posting this video.

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    STEAM has also stated that if they go out of business, they intend to release all games available on their service DRM-free.
    I honestly did not know that skullpoker. Today I learned a new thing.
    Last edited by noraxakun; 13th-November-2014 at 08:22.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    STEAM has also stated that if they go out of business, they intend to release all games available on their service DRM-free.
    That statement gained them massive amounts of traction back in the day, but it's almost pointless now. They've just grown too big to fail. Also if they ever do fail they just have too many titles available to do anything about it. Almost all the titles available through them aren't developed by them now, so sorting out the copyright issues for each title would be a nightmare. Plus removing DRM from hundreds/thousands of games would take cubic man-hours, which isn't something a company going bankrupt would really do. Unless they're building a stockpile of in-house cracks for that dreaded day, but that shit would get leaked by a disgruntled employee at some point
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's pretty true but it was an interesting statement for them to say. Also, I'm going to assume that you changed the title of the thread Ragnar. Thank you very much!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Steam provides digital rights management (DRM) for software titles by providing "custom executable generation" for executable files that are unique for each user; this allows the user to install the software on multiple computing devices via Steam or through software backups without limitations.[27] The user is required to be running Steam while connected to the Internet for authentication prior to playing a game or have previously set up Steam in an "offline" mode while connected to the internet, storing their credentials locally to allow play without an Internet connection.
    Seems like it would be quite easy for them to modify the STEAM platform to always activate their games. If their servers went offline you might be unable to get more games than you already have, but able to execute any program you already have.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok, even if that is somehow easily doable for them I don't think EA and other big publishers would take the change laying down. I'm sure they'd do something for Half-life and Team Fortress users, but everything else could be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by noraxakun View Post
    Also, I'm going to assume that you changed the title of the thread Ragnar. Thank you very much!
    Point those thanks at Cookie Monster