Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you good at video games? If so, what kind of video games???

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Default Are you good at video games? If so, what kind of video games???

I don't know about you guys, but I have beaten a lot of gory games like DOOM and DUKE NUKEM so you will most likely think I'm pretty badass from now on. Eh, for those of you who don't appreciate my reference to a member who posted, like, ten times five years ago I have a bland ol' topic here! Seamless, seamless, move on etc.

I think I'm pretty good at video games in general. I think most of you will agree that it's usually pretty easy to see the difference between very casual gamers and those who have, eh, played a bit more during their sad existe... uh, lives. There are some exceptions to the rule for me though, like I'm fairly terrible at all FPS-games. It's weird really, because most of them are pick-up-and-play-friendly, but I always end up dying waaay too much. I did beat Halo III on the hardest setting without too much trouble though, but that was co-op and my mate did lotsa leg-work. Then there's (non-Mario Kartesque) racing games, but that's just silly so who cares?

My best genre - besides Fire Emblem games, obviously - is no doubt the retro platformer. In that regard I'm very fond of the NES library and especially the games that are regarded as difficult (some of you will know that already since I'm also very fond of bragging about useless crap). The games are so delicious and simplistic, and there's no damn waiting around for some tedious story line (let's just attack aggressively, damn you). It's all about reflexes and remembering stuff, which... doesn't sound all that exciting. But it is, it just is.

Oh, and I'm always been good at football games, but I like to claim it's because I'm such a swell tactician. White centre back to E5, STAB, red card Koscielny etc.

Edit: Oh, and I'm decent at best when it comes to fighting games. I was pretty hard to beat at Tekken V once upon a time, but I think I've lost it. 60 % of the time I'd just use a throw move though.
    Last edited by Elmdor Rizer; 17th-October-2014 at 09:33.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elmdor Rizer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at games and I don't try to be. I'm pretty average. My motto is, if I can do it, anyone can do it
    As for genres, I guess I'm better at those I like more (yay racing games; nay FPS').

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookie Monster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm good at being bad at games
    Although I do love me some turn based strategy games and RPGs, FFT, SMT, and Disgaea are some fun stuff.
    I'm decent at fighting games although I only just play another couple rounds against King after a 3+ month hiatus of playing them.
    FPS I'm ok at, I guess? Except for Quake 3. I suck at Quake 3.
    Platformers need more bouncy bouncy bouncy. and Metroidvanias I've only ever gotten 100% completion once, looking at a map and taking 8 hours trying to pull off some shinespark tricks for those mean ones.
    I'm also addicted to League of Legends.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Well if Cookie claims to be average I would have to say I'm worse than average, generally speaking.
    To get anywhere near "mastering" a game I tend to go through all difficulty levels, and even then I'm pretty terrible. Death is a constant companion. Playing games like Dark Souls can be really frustrating

It wasn't always the case though. I think I was pretty good at old arcade shmups when I was a kid but my reflexes aren't as good now.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Seems like a very subjective thread, but yeah, I like to think I'm pretty decent.

Obligatory Knife only RE 3 reference and whatnot.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at games and I don't try to be. I'm pretty average. My motto is, if I can do it, anyone can do it
    As for genres, I guess I'm better at those I like more (yay racing games; nay FPS').
    Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Well if Cookie claims to be average I would have to say I'm worse than average, generally speaking.
    To get anywhere near "mastering" a game I tend to go through all difficulty levels, and even then I'm pretty terrible. Death is a constant companion. Playing games like Dark Souls can be really frustrating

It wasn't always the case though. I think I was pretty good at old arcade shmups when I was a kid but my reflexes aren't as good now.
    Yeah, I can't help to feel that someone's merely being super-modest here. I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE BOWLING ARCADE GAME!

Man, I really want to like the old shmups, and I keep thinking I should be good at them. As it turns out I can't and I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Frollo View Post
    I'm good at being bad at games
    Although I do love me some turn based strategy games and RPGs, FFT, SMT, and Disgaea are some fun stuff.
    I'm decent at fighting games although I only just play another couple rounds against King after a 3+ month hiatus of playing them.
    FPS I'm ok at, I guess? Except for Quake 3. I suck at Quake 3.
    Platformers need more bouncy bouncy bouncy. and Metroidvanias I've only ever gotten 100% completion once, looking at a map and taking 8 hours trying to pull off some shinespark tricks for those mean ones.
    I'm also addicted to League of Legends.
    I don't think I've ever beaten a game 100 % Well, 'cept for Suikodens and Fire Emblems but there you only count recruited characters and that's story-related, so it's not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Seems like a very subjective thread, but yeah, I like to think I'm pretty decent.

Obligatory Knife only RE 3 reference and whatnot.
    Lies. Let's FIGHT IT OUT!

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    Yeah, I can't help to feel that someone's merely being super-modest here. I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE BOWLING ARCADE GAME!
    I'm not being modest. My plats show I'm more patient than skilled
    And as for the Bowling Arcade score, I just was lucky. Didn't play it that much but I managed to score high enough to be up there. I'm no pro gamer %)))))))

Thanks
    EP Points

Hm...
    I'd say I'm decent-ish in video games in general, but excel in fighting games.
    I love the concept behind them, very...chess-like, but without the chessyness, and more bars.
    Even if the other guy doesn't know how to play that well.
    As long as both sides have fun.
    Also good at racing games.
    BUT.
    Terribad at pew-pew games.
    Quake, Unreal Tournament, whatever.
    I'm usually the butt of the scoreboard.

Thanks
    EP Points

games in general i guess. i don't play anything like football, soccer, hockey, etc. though so not those (not that i care about those sports anyway ).

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm average in genres that I like. I can shoot moving targets in FPS while moving, do something more than mashing buttons in fighting games, I don't need solution to every puzzle in game, etc. I have problems playing shooters with gamepad, but it's probably lack of practice.

Thanks
    EP Points

Anything I get my hands on I'll be an expert at in a flash. RPG's are my specialty but any game that has some competition like Mario Party or Smash Bros I'll put lots of effort in.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

Older platformers, classic FPSes, and TPSes like Ratchet & Clank... unless you consider it a platformer as well, lol.
    Last edited by AskaLangly; 20th-October-2014 at 10:09.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't usually put any extra effort into competitive games, but I'm pretty good at Souls games. My win/loss ratio is astronomical on Dark Souls 2. It was definitely in the 90%-95% for a win. Doesn't seem to matter whether its invasions, or me grabbing a sign on the ground for a duel.

I logged on last night and camped in the bell tower, and owned probably 30 people in a row. Most of these fights were straight up melee duels.
    Last edited by gamerdude211; 20th-October-2014 at 19:03.

Thanks
    EP Points

I guess it would depend on the game for me. I wouldn't say I'm an expert or anything, but I can be above average at alot of games. Depends on how much I like that. I generally don't play that many games that would be considered competitive, like modern FPS and online strategy/RPG games, though I do enjoy some of them, even if I'm not that great at them. Team Fortress 2 and Awesomenauts for a couple of examples. Now if we're talking classic/retro games, then I'm pretty good at alot of those. I can beat Contra without using the Konamic code, and I have beat it without dying.

Thanks
    EP Points

CRASH BANDICOOT (obviously )!!! I'm also very good at other PS1 platformers such as Spyro, Rayman, Gex...