Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever regretted buying a console?

Thanks
    EP Points

are we talking licensed consoles or can I mention weird fakie rip offs? if so then yes. I once bought a fakie rip off that had over a hundred games on one cartridge. I had to take it back when I got it because the minute I turned it on it started making this awful, poisonous smell that burned my nose, eyes and throat. instead of getting my money back as I should have I let them give me a replacement and the wires are so thin that they snapped in half. plus many of the games in that 100+ were the same games under different names. there were some childhood gems in there like Super Mario Bros 1-3, Tetris, Pac-Man, there were games I never liked Paper Boy, Ice Climber, Adventure Island and some weird games like Clu-Clu Land, Balloon Fight and Arctic Adventure. One and only time I ever shelled out money for such a shitty console

Thanks
    EP Points

Eventually there is regret, but only if it is possible to softmod said console/handheld. That's why I haven't bought any 7th-and 8th-gen system, sans Wii.
    I have a 3DS for Ad-hoc reasons, but haven't been playing with that due to Nintendo's various ways, like not whitelisting names with blacklisted words (Asuka, Violet, etc.),
    not enough sales (versus Steam, for example)... even on the launch games (3D Land is STILL at the same price since launch; ALWAYS first-party), among other reasons.
    I have softmodded a PS2, Wii, several DSes, and PSP. GameCube laser is essentially dead, so I can't softmod it, despite having required hardware like a SDGecko. (I loathe soldering...)

Thanks
    EP Points

PS Vita. Owned it for one month. Such a hassle to move data when you have no internet. No used game market. PSP movie player is better. PSP is better online. It was a while ago so I've forgotten what else.

Thanks
    EP Points

I kinda regret of buying Gameboy Advance SP, because my friend then also got one and then he kicked my ass when we were playing Pokemon. We both actually bought Gameboy just so we can play Pokemon, but it looks like my friend is way overpowered!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

SEGA CD and the Virtual Boy. Though, in a rare case of reversal, I now regret selling the VB.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't think I've ever regretted buying a console. Maybe the gamecube, but I did enjoy some of the games I played on it. I buy consoles usually late into their lifespan, so I can see their pros and cons, as well as them having a actual game library.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Fully regret buying the original Xbox and Slim PS2, Xbox had jack in the jap games department and the Slim PS2 is chinese garbage.

Slightly regret buying the gamecube and wii, first gamecube was faulty and the wii was sent to the shop numerous times each time coming back worse and worse until it finally did not even run at all , soon as it was turned on it would lock up with this horrible loud screeching , original reason for sending it to the shop was it would lock up with said screeching at random on certain games, turns out after all those repair trips they finally find out it was a faulty motherboard, again chinese garbage.

I think the only things I bought that are of chinese origin that are not garbage are my Supercards, kind of funny that the only thing quality I would get from there are premium Flash/Pirate cards.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Fully regret buying the original Xbox and Slim PS2, Xbox had jack in the jap games department and the Slim PS2 is chinese garbage.

Slightly regret buying the gamecube and wii, first gamecube was faulty and the wii was sent to the shop numerous times each time coming back worse and worse until it finally did not even run at all , soon as it was turned on it would lock up with this horrible loud screeching , original reason for sending it to the shop was it would lock up with said screeching at random on certain games, turns out after all those repair trips they finally find out it was a faulty motherboard, again chinese garbage.

I think the only things I bought that are of chinese origin that are not garbage are my Supercards, kind of funny that the only thing quality I would get from there are premium Flash/Pirate cards.
    Never had a problem with my gamecube, just didn't get as much enjoyment out of it, as I thought I would. I guess it depends on when you got it though. I got mine late into its lifespan. For being as small as it is, the gamecube is pretty sturdy in my opinion.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGuitar View Post
    Never had a problem with my gamecube, just didn't get as much enjoyment out of it, as I thought I would. I guess it depends on when you got it though. I got mine late into its lifespan. For being as small as it is, the gamecube is pretty sturdy in my opinion.
    I got mine with the Zelda collection Promo.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

I did never regret buying a console. Even though I barely played on my GC, which I have recently stored in the attic because the Wii contains a GC.
    I bought all last-gen consoles as a bargain:

X360 slim over ebay
    defective PS3 over ebay, then fixed it
    Wii from Gamestop when they had the offer to exchange a PS2 with 10 games for a new wii

I even got a 3DS off ebay for 50 bucks or so, never played it
    I think i kinda regret getting a PSP, because IMO it is not nearly as well suited for mobile gaming than the DS. The battery just keeps discharging too fast in the PSP. Plus, I need quick & dirty games on a handheld, like Clash of Heroes or Plants vs Zombies (DS)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    I got mine with the Zelda collection Promo.
    I bought the silver one from gamestop, it was late into its lifespan, so it wasn't that expensive.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Strangely I think the only 2 made in china systems I own and don't regret buying at all that work pretty much perfectly are my DS lites (first one is the Zelda Gold Triforce edition) and my Slim PS3 , Slim PS3 gets a lil too toasty for my liking so I have it on a external fan, helps quite a bit.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I don't think I've ever regretted buying any particular console. Although I do get rather angry with my PS3 when it decides to freeze or whatever. If it didn't have worthwhile exclusives, free network play and some great store deals it would've been a regrettable buy, but these things offset the issues.

Enough with the hating on China, Gobby Many of the issues are due to cheap design and the use of lead-free solder.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah the quality is what matters. With the PS2 the slim model was much cheaper, so of course they cut some corners. Doesn't matter where it is assembled.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I really regretted buying a DS. I played it for, like, two months then never touched it again. Never found any games for it that I wanted to play and sold it two years after I bought it to a friend. Just an entirely worthless purchase, can't believe I wasted the money.