Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever regretted buying a console?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Arrow Have you ever regretted buying a console?

I'm sure many of us have been impatient and ended buying a console even when we knew there weren't enough interesting for us games and kinda regretted getting our shiny new gaming system. It happens a lot
    But I'm not referring to that feeling but to that other that appears when a gaming system lifespan is coming to it's end and you look back to see that, for whatever reasons (high price you paid for, little use; you liked your friend's console better..), you've been disappointed by your purchase. Did it ever happen to you?

In my case that has to be the X360. When I bought it there was a bunch of exclusives I was looking forward to play (Project Gotham Racing, Gears of War, Marvel Ultimate Alliance Gold Edition, Lost Odyssey, etc), all good games, but what was supposed to be the general rule in a new gaming system (new, good exclusive games every year), ended abruptly when Microsoft decided that their sole interest was Kinect and there they centered all their efforts. Dreamcast aside, I don't recall a more effective fatality to end your own console (although, Sony is trying their best with Vita lately ).

Thanks
    EP Points

I've been trying to think of an answer to this, but I don't think I've ever had this problem. I've always been years behind new releases. I didn't get my PS3 until 2008. I didn't have a PS2 until after the slims had been put out. One of the advantages of buying late is a better ability to judge the system's library, its pros and cons, etc. And aside from a few Nintendo handhelds, I've not owned anything outside of the Sony lineup of consoles, so I feel like I always got what I was expecting insofar as libraries and such are concerned.

If there's anything I've ever regretted it's not been the purchase of a system, but instead the purchase of work arounds to be able to pirate games for said systems. Eventually, I ruined not only the PS2 for myself, but also the NDS and PSP, simply as a result of suddenly having access to EVERYTHING and not being able to just stick with any specific game long enough to finish it. With the PS3 and 3DS, if I'm paying 50 or 60 bucks for a game, I'm for more likely to finish it before moving on to another.

Thanks
    EP Points

PS Vita. Dude at gamestop talked me into it because I liked playing games while I'm in the bathroom and he said it'd connect to my PS4. The PS4 connectivity is terrible.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Worst Cat View Post
    If there's anything I've ever regretted it's not been the purchase of a system, but instead the purchase of work arounds to be able to pirate games for said systems. Eventually, I ruined not only the PS2 for myself, but also the NDS and PSP, simply as a result of suddenly having access to EVERYTHING and not being able to just stick with any specific game long enough to finish it. With the PS3 and 3DS, if I'm paying 50 or 60 bucks for a game, I'm for more likely to finish it before moving on to another.
    That's a good topic in itself. Yeah, I've felt the same, being able to play anything meant for me playing pretty much nothing the way games are meant to be played, from the beginning to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    PS Vita. Dude at gamestop talked me into it because I liked playing games while I'm in the bathroom and he said it'd connect to my PS4. The PS4 connectivity is terrible.
    Remote Play is something I haven't tried yet, haven't even felt curious about it. But if the range it reaches is too limited it's a self defeating feature :/

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I'm sure many of us have been impatient and ended buying a console even when we knew there weren't enough interesting for us games and kinda regretted getting our shiny new gaming system. It happens a lot
    But I'm not referring to that feeling but to that other that appears when a gaming system lifespan is coming to it's end and you look back to see that, for whatever reasons (high price you paid for, little use; you liked your friend's console better..), you've been disappointed by your purchase. Did it ever happen to you?

In my case that has to be the X360. When I bought it there was a bunch of exclusives I was looking forward to play (Project Gotham Racing, Gears of War, Marvel Ultimate Alliance Gold Edition, Lost Odyssey, etc), all good games, but what was supposed to be the general rule in a new gaming system (new, good exclusive games every year), ended abruptly when Microsoft decided that their sole interest was Kinect and there they centered all their efforts. Dreamcast aside, I don't recall a more effective fatality to end your own console (although, Sony is trying their best with Vita lately ).
    Have you played Storage Inc though??? It's no doubt the best 360-exclusive there is. Actually, now I'm starting to wonder if it's really an exclusive... but, eh, you should play it nonetheless. Not solo though, no one works in storage alone.

Much like Milady I tend to buy consoles very late. However, ages ago, I did purchase a PSX chipped with one of the early, uh, chips from a mate and... it wasn't a great buy. Look, at first life was grand. There I was playing Valkyrie Profile - wondering why Lawfer's voice was so stupid when he was such a cool character, talking about blades of grass and all that - AND THEN SUDDENLY THE GAME FROZE WHILE LOADING. No biggie, I thought, I can just do shit over. It's not like I minded... ah, such a dreamy guy. Problem was it wouldn't start and eventually I realized the damn thing always stopped working after a while because of the chip being unable to handle the heat or whatever (I always thought that was it seeing as original games worked well, but who the fuck knows). So anyhow, I always had to place my PSX in a vertical position while playing, and it tended to fall over pretty often which probably wasn't good for it either, and usually I had to rub it in a weird way while booting games. I'm not just perverted, it works, damn you. The last time I tried playing with it I couldn't even boot an original game though, so yeah, sad regrets.

Also, ahem, going Gamecube over PS2 wasn't all that clever either. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, Tales of Symphonia alone made it more than worth the cash, but I've missed out on too many PS2 titles due to the fact that I got the console all too late. Now I have a drawer full of PS3 games that I'll most likely never play and I even gave up Football Manager back in 2009, so I don't see me going back to the PS2 any time soon :/.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I haven't touched my 360 in years...for gaming that is. I watch DVDs all the time.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    I haven't touched my 360 in years...for gaming that is. I watch DVDs all the time.
    I use my ps2 for dvds hooked up through extra processing and shit. Looks good but I do have my eyes on a nice dvd player. Set up an ebay search and hopefully one pops up in my price range.

I'd be in the same boat with the 360 if I had bought it new. I had a few good experiences on it for sure and Shar used it as a Halo box. The thing is at the time I got a swag deal on it on account that it "wasn't working" (still under warranty, easy fix from microsoft). It was $150 for it with a pile of games and multiple controllers. This was many years ago mind you so by selling the games I didn't want (see: all of them) and down to one controller I barely have any $ in it.

I'm generally the same way in that I wait to buy consoles. I see no benefit to early adoption in most cases. Humorously enough the Vita is the console that I've bought closest to launch... Again a good deal, though not as good as that 360 deal. No regrets though, as I already have 14 games for it (all physical) and play it loads. Cookie is right, Sony is trying to kill it, but I'm enjoying all the niche titles. I can't even think of another console I've bought before 3 years after launch.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of Hos View Post
    I use my ps2 for dvds hooked up through extra processing and shit. Looks good but I do have my eyes on a nice dvd player. Set up an ebay search and hopefully one pops up in my price range.

I'd be in the same boat with the 360 if I had bought it new. I had a few good experiences on it for sure and Shar used it as a Halo box. The thing is at the time I got a swag deal on it on account that it "wasn't working" (still under warranty, easy fix from microsoft). It was $150 for it with a pile of games and multiple controllers. This was many years ago mind you so by selling the games I didn't want (see: all of them) and down to one controller I barely have any $ in it.

I'm generally the same way in that I wait to buy consoles. I see no benefit to early adoption in most cases. Humorously enough the Vita is the console that I've bought closest to launch... Again a good deal, though not as good as that 360 deal. No regrets though, as I already have 14 games for it (all physical) and play it loads. Cookie is right, Sony is trying to kill it, but I'm enjoying all the niche titles. I can't even think of another console I've bought before 3 years after launch.
    I just never spent the same number of hours on my 360 as I have DS, 3DS, PS1/2, and the cart-based consoles. All I really played was skyrim and I could have had that on PC. I guess I did play a bit of some Shump with Sprung once.

I should mention that I have technically bought three360's.
    Bought a dead one from Sprung, bought a scummy one in front a of game store and then my slim when that eventually died. I only bought the third for Melissa who 'needed to continue skyrimmin' She has not played in ages.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Can't say my experience was that much different. Magna Carta 2, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Spectral Force 3. That's like my whole experience with the console. Though I SHOULD play Blue Dragon at some point.

I can't even tell you how many 360s I've bought, because I can't remember. Buying them as non-working, fixing them easily and then reselling them. That ship has pretty much sailed though, unless I'm getting a busted one for $5 or less now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of Hos View Post
    Can't say my experience was that much different. Magna Carta 2, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Spectral Force 3. That's like my whole experience with the console. Though I SHOULD play Blue Dragon at some point.

I can't even tell you how many 360s I've bought, because I can't remember. Buying them as non-working, fixing them easily and then reselling them. That ship has pretty much sailed though, unless I'm getting a busted one for $5 or less now.
    I own MC2, IU, and BD. Never played any of them.

And I guess that is my regret.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    Have you played Storage Inc though??? It's no doubt the best 360-exclusive there is. Actually, now I'm starting to wonder if it's really an exclusive... but, eh, you should play it nonetheless. Not solo though, no one works in storage alone.
    What's that, a modern version of Tetris?

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    What's that, a modern version of Tetris?
    Hey, one could actually argue that it is!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O8jRVijLkw

JUST LOOK AT IT! I dunno why they didn't get people who actually knew the controls for the trailer though. And most maps aren't cramped like that either.

Storage inc! Storage inc! Storage inc!

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    Hey, one could actually argue that it is!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O8jRVijLkw

JUST LOOK AT IT! I dunno why they didn't get people who actually knew the controls for the trailer though. And most maps aren't cramped like that either.

Storage inc! Storage inc! Storage inc!
    It looks super interesting! I wonder why comments were deactivated for the vid

Indiespensable, no doubt. I should make a new thread

Thanks
    EP Points

At first the Wii only because I had nothing to do on it for awhile well two games don't do much justice (Brawl and Wii Sports). When I hacked my Wii well you could imagine i was a happy camper XD.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

I regret buying a Wii. I honestly never used the system for much of anything, but I only paid $50 for it.

I had a 360 go bad on me and it wasn't under warranty. Never bought another one.
    Last edited by gamerdude211; 20th-October-2014 at 00:06.