Thread: Minor rant about games on current gen systems.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Minor rant about games on current gen systems.

I don't mind a decent FPS game every now and then, or maybe a racing game, but it seems like the vast majority of releases on the PS4/Xbox One are FPS/racing/sports games. I have yet to find a justifiable reason to buy a PS4 or Xbox One any time soon. The problem is, I'd love to give them my money if they simply had a more diversified lineup of games that I can't get on PC. Anyone else feel like they've been left out with current gen consoles? Or are you the complete opposite of me and actually have a backlog?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I think the main point of consoles is less hassles, really. Always has been.
    A large diverse library of titles isn't something that usually happens in the first 2 years of a consoles life.

I won't be getting any of the current gen consoles anytime soon.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gamerdude211 View Post
    I don't mind a decent FPS game every now and then, or maybe a racing game, but it seems like the vast majority of releases on the PS4/Xbox One are FPS/racing/sports games. I have yet to find a justifiable reason to buy a PS4 or Xbox One any time soon. The problem is, I'd love to give them my money if they simply had a more diversified lineup of games that I can't get on PC. Anyone else feel like they've been left out with current gen consoles? Or are you the complete opposite of me and actually have a backlog?
    Those you mentioned are some of the most popular gaming genres nowadays, it makes sense if the releases are oriented to satisfy what people demands. Anyway, PS4/XBone are still too new, give them time and there will be plenty of games in every relevant genre.

Thanks
    EP Points

The biggest prospect I see that interests me is Bloodbourne for PS4. I believe its coming out in February 2015. I haven't decided whether that game alone is going to be enough to justify a purchase of a new system. I normally wait till I got a backlog of 3-5 games before I get into a new gen.

I still haven't gotten a 3DS yet, and am waiting on Monster Hunter 4, when that comes out, I will definitely get one.
    Last edited by gamerdude211; 29th-September-2014 at 00:30.

Thanks
    EP Points

There's not much reason to buy a new console at this point. The fact we're still getting previous gen versions of new games and likely will for at least another year isn't exactly helping either.

But yeah, give it time. Remember even the PS2 launched with a terrible lineup and took a couple of years to really hit its stride.

Thanks

The PS4 and XBox One are hardly next gen. They are basically mid range gaming PC computers. I don't think we will see a proper next generation console for another 3 years. I played Infamous Second Son and it was pretty ordinary from a graphical and gameplay aspect compared to PC. Infamous 2 on my PS3 feels more fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by writer1981 View Post
    The PS4 and XBox One are hardly next gen.
    They aren't at all. They were next gen before they were available to the general public but now they're just current. 360/PS3 are previous gen.
    Not much point comparing PC hardware and console hardware really.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The PS4 and XBox One are hardly next gen. They are basically mid range gaming PC computers. I don't think we will see a proper next generation console for another 3 years. I played Infamous Second Son and it was pretty ordinary from a graphical and gameplay aspect compared to PC. Infamous 2 on my PS3 feels more fun.
    Microsoft and Sony aren't going to abandon these consoles that quickly. You will have to wait longer. At some point graphical improvements don't really matter. They don't enable anything new to be done with games at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    They aren't at all. They were next gen before they were available to the general public but now they're just current. 360/PS3 are previous gen.
    Not much point comparing PC hardware and console hardware really.
    Also this.

Thanks
    EP Points

The PS4 and XBox One are hardly next gen. They are basically mid range gaming PC computers. I don't think we will see a proper next generation console for another 3 years.
    Consoles have lagged behind PCs in raw power for a couple generations now, and there were still plenty of great exclusives last gen. If your primary concern is having access to the most cutting edge visuals then I suppose you're likely to be more satisfied with PC for the time being, but really we're sort of comparing apples and oranges here.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

If the Wii-U can ever be soft modded, it has great potential to be an emulation system due to the fact it can already run Wii games, and it probably has coding in place to run GC games as well (unsure?). And I think the pad would work well for that purpose. Its got the potential to emulate more systems than even the PS4 does. In a couple years they'll be dirt cheap too.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gamerdude211 View Post
    If the Wii-U can ever be soft modded, it has great potential to be an emulation system due to the fact it can already run Wii games, and it probably has coding in place to run GC games as well (unsure?). And I think the pad would work well for that purpose. Its got the potential to emulate more systems than even the PS4 does. In a couple years they'll be dirt cheap too.
    I know this is off topic of the original thread's premise, but I'll bite. I find it useful if not a saintly decision that Nintendo hasn't forgotten that we 20 somethings still like its older lineup. Now the virtual console crap, ok. I get that they're not going to just hand games out like nostalgia bait; but they are fairly lenient with the prices. I can amass a nostalgia trip from NES to Wii for pennies what I would've paid to track the fucks down for their respective consoles.
    In a sense, it already does emulate basically all the older systems. Now if we could just fight for the redesign/re-release of the GCN controller, perfection is to be had.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTime View Post
    I know this is off topic of the original thread's premise, but I'll bite. I find it useful if not a saintly decision that Nintendo hasn't forgotten that we 20 somethings still like its older lineup. Now the virtual console crap, ok. I get that they're not going to just hand games out like nostalgia bait; but they are fairly lenient with the prices. I can amass a nostalgia trip from NES to Wii for pennies what I would've paid to track the fucks down for their respective consoles.
    In a sense, it already does emulate basically all the older systems. Now if we could just fight for the redesign/re-release of the GCN controller, perfection is to be had.
    Nintendo's VC prices are pretty ridiculous IMO. $8 for an SNES game? Really? I can go find a torrent right now and download the entire SNES gaming library in 30 minutes or less. They're selling a few MBs of data tops for $8. Compare that with Steam for example, which I paid about $12 for the entire FF XIII trilogy, which is about 60gbs worth of data. I didn't even like FF XIII that much, but the entire trilogy is worth $12. I'm sorta hoping if it sells well, that they might end up releasing future FF series games on PC, so I more or less just threw them a bone. $8 isn't gonna break me by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't like overpaying for stuff either.

Most digital prices on the older games on other systems are a bit on the high side, although I did pay $5 for Wild Arms 1 on PSN, which IMO is still a better deal than $8 for an SNES game. Nintendo is by far the most expensive in their pricing for digital downloads of older games. SNES games should be no more than 50 cents or $1, IMO. I can emulate SNES on a variety of devices, everything from smart phones to tablets and modded consoles. So Nintendo doesn't have a monopoly on ways to acquire and play these games, but they're pricing them like they do.
    Last edited by gamerdude211; 19th-October-2014 at 23:11.