Thread: Am I even able to run a Sega Saturn emulator?

Thanks

Default Am I even able to run a Sega Saturn emulator?

Well, there's two games I'd love to try especially hearing about their universal praise (Panzer Dragoon 2 and Saga) but their prices are ungodly high everywhere on the internet and I'm poor and I can't justify spending that much on a game. So yeah, I'd just like to play those two. But whenever I run SSF it just crashes and Satourne I am so brain-dead dumb about how to use that I'm not even sure if it'll work at all. lol

I dunno, what do you suggest? SSF or Satourne? And if so, I'd like to see if I can even run it so I can play these dream games.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

SSF is the only one worth using

At a guess you just don't have the bios image required though

I created a guide a while back for Saturn emulation at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?67974

Follow that, then ask for some advice if any is still required

For most games I just use my Saturn that has an Action Replay 4M Plus with a modded firmware called PSeudo Saturn that allows you to play backup CD-R's though Panzer Dragon 2 and 3 (aka RPG aka Saga) has issues and are unplayable at the moment, SSF can run those though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-September-2014 at 17:24.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

http://puu.sh/bREVD/fd275ddd40.png

Here's what pops up whenever I try to open it. Thanks for replying, btw.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What are your PC system specs?

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

http://puu.sh/bSmit/34932b61ef.png

If you need anymore info, just tell me. Yeah, it's not a good PC by a long stretch but it can surprisingly run TF2 pretty well. The good news is, I'll get a new laptop in about 4 months or so.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The OS may be the issue

In general XP is no longer supported, futher more some of the features that are used in new OS versions are not available in XP at all, if I was going to recommend an OS update it would have to be Windows 7, Vista is too buggy and 8 well I don't think it is half as user friendly as it makes out (I don't mind 8 but for anyone used to older versions of windows and like to be in control a lot more then 7 is the better option)

Minimum environment needed to run the SSF
    OS WindowsXP / Vista / 7/8 each 32-bit / 64-bit version
    There are reports that does not work on XP, but the cause is unknown
    CPU CPU that are equipped with, SSE2, TSC FPU, MMX, SSE
    Memory 256MB or more
    Video Card vertex shader 3.0 and corresponds to DirectX9.0c, you must correspond to the pixel shader 3.0
    You must be able to create a texture of 1024x1024 or 1024x512
    Sound Cards that support DirectX9.0c
    You must be able to play 44100Hz, stereo PCM
    CD drive Drive that corresponds to the MMC3

The only thing I can think of is to install the Direct X update 9c http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=35, that even applies to Window Vista and up over to install even though they come with at least Direct X 10

Well... you can always try an older version of SSF also
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-September-2014 at 07:55.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Ah ok, looks like I've got something to look forward to then in a few months. I had a feeling it was just the crummy OS. I might end up getting a Windows 8 because a lot of people here where I live are hard-pressed to find a 7 and usually when I look they're a little overboard with their prices. There's $100 Windows 7 install thingies on Amazon, but that'll have to wait a while if I just can't stand 8. As far as I've been told though, 8 is not as bad as people make it out to be (this is what some have told me). Thanks for solving my issue.

(Edit): Now I'm looking at past versions. Yikes, there's a lot. I'm afraid to go through these and see if which one will work which I'm positive I won't have to do lol. I wonder what's the last version that worked for XP or that'll at least work for my crummy PC? I have the versions listed bookmarked so I can get them quickly.

Hay sorry for bumping, you may merge this with my previous post, since I think this is the only way you'll see this new question now, but what would be the best version of SSF for my XP computer? There's a lot of versions and I tried looking up which was best but to no avail.

Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-October-2014 at 03:59.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ZJrocket View Post
    Hay sorry for bumping, you may merge this with my previous post, since I think this is the only way you'll see this new question now, but what would be the best version of SSF for my XP computer? There's a lot of versions and I tried looking up which was best but to no avail.

Wouldn't know... sorry :/

Believe it or not but I skipped XP I was on Win 2K for years then jumped to 7, previously I had ever Windows OS except for NT, even had the first version, 2 Lite and all versions of 3, 95 and 98 to 98 2nd ED with USB support
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-October-2014 at 04:02.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]