Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ePSXe 1.9.0 slowing down on my i7 laptop?!!!

Thanks

When I click "Autodetect" to change to drive letters, there is nothing shown except "Autodetect"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCitadel View Post
    When I click "Autodetect" to change to drive letters, there is nothing shown except "Autodetect"
    Ok, so I think I figured it out what's really causing that error. It seems either your laptop has no CD drive, or PCSXR just isn't seeing it (bad/missing drivers maybe?). So what I did was disabled all of my CD drives (so I only get Autodetect in my PCSXR settings as well), then tried to do Run BIOS, which gave me the same "can't open cdrom unit" error. So basically it needs to see some sort of CD drive for the BIOS option to work right.

So far I've tried a couple of different virtual disc softwares (DaemonTools and MagicDisc), and neither of them are detected by PCSXR for some reason. I'll see if I can find a workaround or different software that it will see.

EDIT: I figured out how to make it work with DaemonTools, I'll edit this post with instructions in a minute.

Okay, so first things first, download Daemon Tools Lite. Here's a link; http://www.disk-tools.com/download/daemon. Use the green Download button near the bottom. When running the installer, when it gets to "Choose Components" make sure "SPTD 1.86" is checked before hitting Next. When it gets to the "License Type" screen, choose "Free License". Then it will have two screens that say "Special Offer", make sure you click Skip and Decline on these so it doesn't install unneeded stuff. After clicking Finish it'll ask you to reboot, so do that.

Once you've rebooted, run the Daemon Tools program (should be in your start menu or on your desktop). You'll see a bar near the bottom with a bunch of buttons on it. Find the one with the green + on it that says SCSI, and click that, and it will add a new virtual disc drive that PCSXR can see. Once it's done, you should be able to use the Run BIOS option in PCSXR without the error coming up again.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 23rd-September-2014 at 02:54.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

But PCSXR doesn't run all games like ePSXe does!

And so what problem do you think causing the lagging issue with ePSXe on Windows 8.1?

Thanks
    EP Points

And so what problem do you think causing the lagging issue with ePSXe on Windows 8.1?
    Since the only two major things you can change with ePSXe are the version you use and the video plugin, if none of the D3D or OpenGL plugins are working smoothly on any of the last few versions (so 1.7, 1.8 and 1.9), and your video drivers are up to date, there really isn't anything else to try. I went and tested Tekken 3 in particular on a couple of my computers (both older than what you have, on Windows 7) and it works fine for me, so it has to be something with your hardware that ePSXe just doesn't like, really not possible to say exactly what hardware though. You can still use ePSXe for the games that work well with it, and just use PCSXR for the few that don't.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 23rd-September-2014 at 22:18.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Hardware?
    Why not compatibility mode with Windows 8.1? If anyone here has Windows 8.1 installed and tried ePSXe with it would tell us?

But I can just try and install Windows 7 and try it but installing Windows 7 on Inspiron 15z is so complicated because it is an UEFI based laptop.

Still, this is so funny! Why would a Playstation 1 emulator wouldn't like my laptop's hardware and pcsx2 which is much stronger than it didn't do this behavior?

Also, I only get this lagging behavior with D3D plugins after resuming the game after exiting it when I run the emulator in Full screen mode but I don't get this issue when I run the emulator in Windowed mode set at my screen resolution (1366 x 768) with the same D3D plugins.
    Last edited by BlackCitadel; 24th-September-2014 at 00:15.

Thanks
    EP Points

It is totally weird, I don't entirely understand why your hardware would have issues with ePSXe either but that seems to be the case. I really don't think using Windows 7 vs 8 should make too much of a difference, under the hood they're mostly the same. You could try maybe installing Windows 7 (or even XP maybe?) in a virtual machine like Virtualbox, though I really don't think it'll make much of a difference.

Thanks

Thanks for that
    This is really a nice idea.

Well, if I installed Windows 7 on a virtual machine, will the emulated Windows install ePSXe? and behave actually the same as it does in a real installed Windows 7?

Thanks
    EP Points

Basically a VM is just emulated computer hardware, and whatever OS you install on it will work the same as if you actually installed it on your computer. The only problem is that because you're basically running two operating systems at once, you're going to be using twice the resources just for Windows, and so the VM Windows will probably run a little slower than normal. With something as light as ePSXe though it might still work okay.

Thanks

I think there is indeed a compatibility issue with DirectX / D3D plugins and ePSXe with Windows 8.1
    See the screen above, when I even run the BIOS using the D3D plugins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	42402

MaslowK
    The DirectX version that I installed is of years from 2005 to 2010. Can that be the cause?!
    Windows 8.1 was released after that. Probably in 2013.

No, there is no DirectX than this. I have version 11 installed.

Virtual Machine didn't help me. It installed Windows 7 with 18 MB Graphics and didn't even run ePSXe with D3D plugins. When I run a game using D3D plugins, the message "ePSXe ran into a problem and needs to close" shows up. The other plugins even run very slow.
    Last edited by BlackCitadel; 24th-September-2014 at 03:11.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCitadel View Post
    I think there is indeed a compatibility issue with DirectX / D3D plugins and ePSXe with Windows 8.1
    See the screen above, when I even run the BIOS using the D3D plugins.
    That's weird, not sure why it's doing that. If it is a compatibility issue between Windows 8 and the D3D plugins I'd have no idea how to workaround it honestly.

Virtual Machine didn't help me. It installed Windows 7 with 18 MB Graphics and didn't even run ePSXe with D3D plugins. When I run a game using D3D plugins, the message "ePSXe ran into a problem and needs to close" shows up. The other plugins even run very slow.
    You can increase the amount of resources available to your VM by right clicking its menu entry on the main window and clicking Settings. Regular RAM is under System > Motherboard Tab and listed as Base Memory, the CPU settings are in the Processor tab, and VRAM is under Display. That said I can't guarantee that you'll get good results using a VM, it's just something to try if you don't want to just use PCSXR for the few games that work better in it (this would be the far easier option overall).

Thanks

Well, the last resort to me is that I am going to try this on Windows 7 64-bit.
    Because I have doubt on Windows 8.1 because many forums reported it has issues with DirectX 11 or so because many people when they try to play a game that is set to a resolution different to the desktop resolution, Windows 8.1 shows a message about "Your PC is running low on memory" so they said that happens because of DirectX with Windows 8.1

Or maybe because the CPU is of -U type? It's Ultra Low Voltage CPU.
    But if it's because of it is U, why would it run ps2 emulation smoothly?

- Also my screen recommended resolution is 1366 x 768, when I run ePSXe using D3D plugins in Full Screen mode at resolution 1366 x 768 same as my screen's, now when I press ESC to exit the emulator it takes a while before it exits and when I click Run > Continue to resume the game, the game is very very slow.

- But when I run the emulator using Pete's OpenGL2 2.9 plugin in Full screen mode with the same resolution and when I press ESC to exit, it exits immediately and when I click Run > Continue to resume the game, the game runs normally as it ran before.

So may it be DirectX issue in Windows 8.1 not hardware?

This is a video of how the game is slow when resuming the game using D3D plugins.

Well, I just can't install Windows 7 on my laptop. I will just try it on Windows 8 in case it is indeed a Windows 8.1 issue.
    Last edited by BlackCitadel; 26th-September-2014 at 03:58.

Thanks

Well.
    Couldn't install Windows 7.
    Installed Windows 8 Pro, it does the same behavior with D3D plugins.

Well, there is a problem with my Intel Graphics chip type maybe? But why would an "Intel HD Graphics 4000" graphics card have an issue with ePSXe?

Or is it an issue with my laptop because it is a DELL laptop and many people say DELL is not good. I don't believe those people because if it is not good, it wouldn't run PS2 emulation that good and even better than PS1 emulation in the same Windows.
    Last edited by BlackCitadel; 26th-September-2014 at 11:14.

Thanks
    EP Points

Dont apply D3D. Apply OpenGl

Thanks

But why it does this with D3D?
    Does OpenGL also use the Intel GPU and DirectX?

Yaaay!!
    Checking "Use Frame skipping" with D3D Plugins fixed the slowdown issue when resuming the game...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	42426

But it is still somewhat slow during playing and causes some issues inside the game, for example, with Tekken 3, while on characters Player Vs Computer screen, the pictures of the characters half of them is at the end of the screen not showing up.

A fix here, another problem arises there.

Yay. Now I fixed the lag that happens when I use Pete's OpenGL2 2.9 plugins. It was the sound plugins that was causing the lag in the middle of the game "ePSXe SPU core 1.9.0."
    I downloaded and used "Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41" and no lag now.
    First in the middle of the game, a crappy sound occurs then the lag happens.

Now I am looking forward to what causes this issue with D3D plugins when resuming the game "Without ticking Use Frame skipping".

Frameskipping fixes the issue but the move of the player feels not normal. It looks like it is walking/running in abnormal way (Fast)

Here what happens with D3D Plugins.
    With "Use Frame skipping" unchecked. When I resume the game, the FPS drops down from 60 to 20 and the game is very very slow. Is that related to the CPU or GPU/DirectX because it's D3D?
    Last edited by BlackCitadel; 27th-September-2014 at 04:23.

Thanks
    EP Points

Its been awhile since I used ePSXe 1.9.0, but I recall running into some minor issues that made me revert back to older versions of the emulator. The one I got on my PC currently is 1.6.0, and I didn't have any issues at all running any of the games I played using that version. So you might want to try using an older version of the emulator. Later versions are not always better for everybody.