Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What video game company/companies shaped your childhood?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by RoofLizard View Post
    Looks like some Japanese guys have been trying to remake ML 3 using Unity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3m_MWW_tjQ
    First off this makes me very happy so thanks for putting this in the thread

Secondly, I will admit that we can maybe all agree that Crapcom used to be one of the best gaming companies ever. You knew that you could pick up one of their titles and have a great experience from it. Now, it's all a game of chance and most times, it's either a semi-decent amount of enjoyment or none at all. Imho, they messed up when they decided to change Resident Evil from it's fixed camera angle style of gameplay to the over the shoulder third person style. Now, I will say that I did enjoy Resident Evil 4 but I thought that Resident Evil 5, at least in my eyes, looked more like a Gears of War clone. That and they changed Chris from a normal looking person to a steroid junkie.

It's just sad to see such a once great company turn to total utter shit. :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noraxakun View Post
    First off this makes me very happy so thanks for putting this in the thread

Secondly, I will admit that we can maybe all agree that Crapcom used to be one of the best gaming companies ever. You knew that you could pick up one of their titles and have a great experience from it. Now, it's all a game of chance and most times, it's either a semi-decent amount of enjoyment or none at all. Imho, they messed up when they decided to change Resident Evil from it's fixed camera angle style of gameplay to the over the shoulder third person style. Now, I will say that I did enjoy Resident Evil 4 but I thought that Resident Evil 5, at least in my eyes, looked more like a Gears of War clone. That and they changed Chris from a normal looking person to a steroid junkie.

It's just sad to see such a once great company turn to total utter shit. :/
    After Res 5 their games also started becoming more fractured. It seems naive now but I used to just buy a game in the store if I saw Capcom written on it, ended up playing games I otherwise wouldn't have looked at, like Onimusha.

Dragon's Dogma (from the top of my head anyway) is one of the games that feels like older Capcom quality. It still has way too much fragmentation due to DLC but it is a pretty creative game otherwise. I just hope they return to focusing on gameplay and not cinematics, the Western market is saturated with cinematic videogames.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I understand that feeling Roof. I was and still am disgusted that they decided to cancel all the Megaman games they were going to make and that they decided to start doing locked disc content. When I found out about the locked disc content shit they were pulling, I was utterly pissed off. I always thought Capcom would have been better than to stoop that low but what a company will do for just a few extra dollars is sad.

Thanks
    EP Points

on disc dlc in general pisses me off whenever i hear of it. its shows that devs have devolved from releasing expansions to dlc then down to locking things you ALREADY paid for behind a SECONDARY pay wall. that aside, yeah, capcom like some other companies WERE good but have pretty much been derailed at some point. i mean, for all the complete and utter hatred they seem to be a magnet for (maybe not quite so much lately, no?), even EA was a somewhat decent company early on.

...good lord, i just called EA, of all people, a decent company. thats scary :/ yet it was true at some point

Thanks

I think DLC shenanigans tend to be publisher related issues. Capcom has a dual role as both publisher and developer though, so you would think the development department would have a better position to argue from.

It's really puzzling. I would love to be able to read Japanese and get a feel for how Capcom is being received over there, maybe their decisions make more sense over in Japan-land.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sony and Capcom. The first console I got was a PS1 in 2000, and there I discovered what would be my all-time favorite franchise, Megaman. I didn't get another console until 2006, which is a PS2, and that's where I stopped. I never owned any other consoles or handhelds before and since.

Back then, I was quite the blind fanboy regarding Megaman. However, after Link beat X in Gamefaqs' annual character battle in...I forgot the year, I tried to reach out to different games and different genres. Capcom was the safest choice, considering they're the company that made Megaman. After that, I went out of my comfort zone and got myself some classics that I've been missing out on.

Looking back and forth now, It's sort of sad. Capcom was like a gaming father figure towards me, and now said father figure was reduced to a drunken mess. I could be angry, I could just leave them alone to rot and die, but I just can't. I pity them, yet I can't do anything about it.

I can see how they screwed their customer, and I can see why the customers get angry, but as I said, I stopped at their peak of success, and I'm no longer in a position to be screwed over.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiSparkSP View Post
    Back then, I was quite the blind fanboy regarding Megaman. However, after Link beat X in Gamefaqs' annual character battle in...I forgot the year, I tried to reach out to different games and different genres. Capcom was the safest choice, considering they're the company that made Megaman. After that, I went out of my comfort zone and got myself some classics that I've been missing out on.
    Hey man, there is nothing wrong with being a Megaman fanboy :p. Kudos to you leaving your comfort zone and deciding to go back and try some older games . Just out of curiosity, what was the first game you first played after leaving your comfort zone, in you don't mind sharing?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by noraxakun View Post
    Hey man, there is nothing wrong with being a Megaman fanboy :p. Kudos to you leaving your comfort zone and deciding to go back and try some older games . Just out of curiosity, what was the first game you first played after leaving your comfort zone, in you don't mind sharing?
    I can't quite remember. I think it was Ocarina of Time.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's actually a great game to start off with. And before anyone else decides to say that I'm a fanboy of Ocarina of Time, my favorite Zelda titles are Majora's Mask and A Link to the Past .

Thanks

nintendo and capcom..... but now capcom has gone to crap lol