Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What video game company/companies shaped your childhood?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default What video game company/companies shaped your childhood?

Yes, that may or may not sound like an odd question but it just sort of popped up in my head. Don't ask why I thought of it because one minute I've got some intellectual conversation pieces and then it's like Beavis and Butthead have invaded my brain. Anyways, I guess I should start on which companies shaped my childhood. I guess the biggest ones were Nintendo, SEGA, Capcom, Rareware, and Sony.

I grew up playing alot of games that were mostly side-scrollers & platformers. So naturally, some of the biggest games from these companies that I played were Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 2, Banjo-Tooie, Crash (I know that Crash is Naughty Dog but I'm too lazy to right ALL of the companies that were licensed under Sony ), Spyro, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Shinobi III, and Tomb Raider. I never really played alot of Capcom games but the two I remember playing the most were Goof Troop and Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition (because Genesis/Mega-Drive).

Sorry for the long post but there will probably be either shorter or longer posts than mine. Thanks in advance for sharing your childhood memories and stuff. It's fun to learn what others played as a kid and share stories.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Well for me the earliest stuff was arcade cabinets, so probably companies like Taito (Space Invaders), Namco (Galaga), Konami (Gyruss) and stuff like that.

The earliest console/computer stuff I played was on C64 and Apple II platforms I guess, then SMS and NES shortly afterwards.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I learned to read quite well playing Shadowrun on the Genesis and Fallout 1 and 2 on the PC. I cure can't write or spell very well though.

Thanks
    EP Points

nintendo and sega for me so many great games back in the 90's

Thanks
    EP Points

Nintendo
    Capcom
    Rare
    Konami
    Midway
    Sega
    Hal Labs
    Last edited by maverickhuntergirlZ492; 21st-August-2014 at 17:08.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nintendo
    Capcom
    SNK (at the arcades)
    Square
    Enix
    Konami
    Sony

These were all back in the day, nowadays they all kinda..................suck.
    Last edited by Warrior; 21st-August-2014 at 17:19.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Started with the Genesis, but barely got anything for it. Nintendo was a way bigger influence when I got an N64, plus I was a Game Boy kid and played a shit load of Pokemon. It's hard to center on a single company that really sucked me in at the time, though. My teen years started with the whole Nintendo thing, but my late teens were more dominated by Sony, Atlus, Capcom, Square and various smaller developers and companies. I really grew my love for role playing games once I got a PS2, and I messed around with classics I never got to touch thanks to my GBA.

Sonic, Kirby, Pokemon, Final Fantasy and any given Clover game really shaped me into the type of game fan I am. My experimenting with critical darlings and weirder stuff happened around the time I entered my teens, the ones affecting me most being Persona 4, TWEWY, Devil May Cry 3 and Zone of the Enders (the best game from Kojima, as far as I'm concerned). SUDA 51 followed not long after, and my life was changed forever.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    SUDA 51 followed not long after, and my life was changed forever.
    Never forget.....DOWNWARD FUCKING DOG!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Killer7 is where it's really at. That's the hardcore shit.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Killer7 is a freaking amazing game. Suda51 is one of my favorite video game devs ever.

Thanks

Crapcom: During the PS2 era they were a great publisher\dev, they even started off good last gen with Dead Rising and Lost Planet. Hopefully they can repair their reputation with the new wave of hardware.

Thanks
    EP Points

Interplay and all those early PCRPG's. I guess Bethesda too. I played Arena: Elder Scrolls 1 probably more than anything else.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by RoofLizard View Post
    Crapcom: During the PS2 era they were a great publisher\dev, they even started off good last gen with Dead Rising and Lost Planet. Hopefully they can repair their reputation with the new wave of hardware.
    we can only hope. i used to like capcom until the blue bomber's games started to suck. now my hope goes to Keiji inafune(oops, got the names confused ^.^; had it as shigeru at first) and a certain fan game.

actually, i don't really keep up with console news unless something about a franchise i still keep up with comes up. i've kinda lost track of all the new games and stuff.
    Last edited by treos; 24th-August-2014 at 07:00.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    we can only hope. i used to like capcom until the blue bomber's games started to suck. now my hope goes to Keiji inafune(oops, got the names confused ^.^; had it as shigeru at first) and a certain fan game.

actually, i don't really keep up with console news unless something about a franchise i still keep up with comes up. i've kinda lost track of all the new games and stuff.
    I feel like Megaman fans have been treated maybe even worse than the Resident Evil playerbase. After years of begging for Megaman Legends 3 it was finally put into development, nearly finished, and then cancelled :\

Looks like some Japanese guys have been trying to remake ML 3 using Unity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3m_MWW_tjQ

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah iirc theres still a facebook group that might still be trying to make the game too. i haven't seen it in a while though so i'm not sure. for now, i'm just hoping mmx: corrupted doesn't wind up like streets of rage remake. thats the first i've heard of them trying to make it using unity though. nice trailer, just to wait and see how that works out and for it to be translated to english if completed.