Thread: Silent Hill 3 Screen Tearing issue?

Thanks

Default Silent Hill 3 Screen Tearing issue?

Not an emulation issue since I'm not playing the PS2 version of this game. It's the PC version which I hear has it's fair share of problems but it's the only way I can play it so yeah... At least I got a PS2 controller to make it more tolerable but that's besides the point.

So uh, there's not really much to say yet other than the game screen tears all the time when I move, very badly might I add, even worse than any other game I've played on this computer. The game, unfortunately, doesn't have a Vsync option but I've attempted to look up things about it and how others have suffered from screen tearing issues, and some people say to use certain programs that I couldn't even use because they had to be registered so I can't do that. My monitor in general is sort of poor (in fact, I'm looking into getting a new one eventually when I actually get some cash in hand) unless it's more than just a monitor issue and has something to do with my graphics card.

When it comes to my graphics card, the subject is beyond me. I've read that there's a control panel for certain video cards, but not mine? Then I've read you can download one but that's where I'm at wits end with it because I can't find the right one.

Halp?

Thanks
    EP Points

Using a video card specific option to force the game to use vsync would be your best bet, assuming your card supports it. What video card do you have exactly? Easiest way to find out is to use GPU-Z, you can download it here.

After it's done downloading go ahead and run it; you'll get a window with all sorts of information. Near the top you'll see Name, GPU and Revision, these are the important parts and you should post them here. If it says "Nvidia" or "GeForce" in the name section then it's likely there's an app you can get from them to enable vsync.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright, after some digging I've found what should be ATI's equivalent of a "control panel" type deal. Here are some links;

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...easeNotes.aspx <--- The release notes page for the software detailing what it includes & compatibility info; your card is listed.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...ista-7-64-bit/ <--- Download page for the software. It says there's a more up to date version of the software, however its release notes here don't list your card, so try the 12.4 version first.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Hmmm... That's weird, I installed 12.4 and it asked me to reboot my computer so I did but I don't see anything. No program file, no newly installed program on the Start Up Menu, nothin. It IS version 12.4 so I hope there's an earlier version that'll work right for me? :[

Thanks
    EP Points

Usually they're added as a new startup item, if not as a new program in your start menu. If you're on Windows 7 look on the right side of your taskbar for a white arrow and click that, see if there are any new looking icons there. If not, try going to your start menu, typing "Catalyst" into the search bar, and seeing if it comes up with anything. Unfortunately since I have an Nvidia card I can't install & check it out myself, I'll keep looking and see if I can find anything else about it though.

EDIT: Also this forum post says to try right-clicking on your desktop and see if there's a new option there.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 19th-August-2014 at 00:17.

Thanks

Oh, I'm using Windows XP (32 bit) :C Yeah, it's a pretty crummy computer but it's what I've got to stick with for a few more months, unfortunately. But yeah, I tried what you suggested but sadly can't find it anywhere. But I still have hope, I'm sure there's a Catalyst version that'll work for me.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ah, well that might make a difference. I went ahead and found an older version that explicitly says it's for 32bit XP. Here's a link; http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driv...rmation/15461/

Before installing this though make sure you remove the old one. Go to your Control Panel, find Add/Remove Programs, find the old ATI/AMD Catalyst software and double click it to start the uninstaller. While you're there in the programs list, also see if .Net Framework 2.0 SP1 or something similar is installed; while reading the descriptions for the catalyst software, they're saying this is required too. If you don't have that already you can get it here; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=16614.

If the new catalyst still isn't being listed in your start menu you can try going to My Computer, then going to C:\Program Files and looking for any folders with ATI in the name; if there is one, chances are the executable for the program is in there somewhere.

EDIT: I just thought to try searching "silent hill 3 screen tearing", and on a few forum post results I saw some people recommending an alternative program for forcing vsync called Rivatuner. If none of the above works for getting catalyst going for you, maybe this will work? http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/rivatuner.html
    Last edited by MaslowK; 20th-August-2014 at 09:09.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by faizan300 View Post
    It is the due to problem in window.
    Same as in the last thread I replied to. Don't post in 1+ month old threads, and especially not in incoherent English with nothing to add.