Thread: Best level-up/grinding strategies for Castlevania: Symphony of The Night?

Thanks

Default Best level-up/grinding strategies for Castlevania: Symphony of The Night?

I'm looking for something that you can do in the first castle, during a new playthrough to level up quickly. Anything beyond that is kinda pointless to me. Also, what's the best way to make money in the game?
    Last edited by AscendedSaiyan; 16th-August-2014 at 15:31.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Moved to General Gaming, no idea why this was in the Everything Console section that is more for if a game does not boot/other problems running software and or hardware issues.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

i'll have to check (also check if i even still have a copy of the game downloaded ) around the first castle and see but i can say for sure that in the 2nd castle the 2 best places are the royal guards near the clock room (leading up/down to dracula's room) and those squids up where you fought Scylla in the 1st castle (shield rod + alucard shield 'nuff said). also, those squids are great for familiar exp (1/squid iirc) and the royal guards give a ton of normal exp but hit pretty hard.

i'd be of more help if you were asking about items, glitches, or other stuff. if you've never seen the inverted castle or for that matter need help on how to get to it, ask away and remember the locations of hidden switches and breakables from the normal castle. the 2nd one is inverted but otherwise an almost exact mirror copy save for maybe a few things here and there.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by AscendedSaiyan View Post
    I'm looking for something that you can do in the first castle, during a new playthrough to level up quickly. Anything beyond that is kinda pointless to me. Also, what's the best way to make money in the game?
    Right at the very beginning of the game before you get your equipment robbed. Fight Fishmen. They're endless, and spew blood if you need to heal. Nothing gives you more exp near the start of the game, and they even drop saleable rings too.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

speaking of where you get robbed by death, there is a way to keep the gear and cheat death. for the sake of not making the vast majority of the game way too easy, i'll leave it to you and whoever else wants to play the game to figure out how the glitch works yourself.

i wonder if that was left in the game intentionally and not a bug considering what you have to do to cheat death.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to treos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Now that's one hell of a trick!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    i wonder if that was left in the game intentionally and not a bug considering what you have to do to cheat death.
    It had to have been. That trick was just too perfect.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah, and with that done i now have 2 maybe more things left to try and figure out before i can finally mark that game off as completely mastered. the heart refresh and sword brothers (i'm not too good with spells in this game) glitch used to explore outside the castle and around doors. aside from that, i've seen and done pretty much everything else thats ever been documented on the game across the internet. even managed to open that door in the ground near the 1st castle entrance before, not that theres much point to it.

Thanks
    EP Points

You play the Saturn version yet? There's a level down there.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PSP version is the best of the lot, preserves the Jap castle and familiars and as an added bonus you can also play as maria (this is not to be confused with the Saturn version, Maria is somewhat different in this version that is still based on the PSX version so no extra dungeon area's but on a plus all the effects are still there in full, so transparencies are there that are not in the Saturn version and no slow downs that the Saturn version had)

The PSP version also has some other nice features like playing the game with jap voices while still having english text though I like the voices that are also new as they re done that also (It's not a better translation to be honest it's more interpreted but I I like it as much if not more than the original PSX/Saturn voice overs)

The PSP version is part of the Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, this game includes the main game that is a remake of Dracula X for the PC-Engine aka TG16 not to be confused with the SNES X game/s that kinda sucked it also has as unlockable contents Dracula X original game (in English) the mini game from the same game that could be seen if you used the wrong CD card (not really worth playing but still nice it was included) and yeah Castlevania Symphony of the Night (That directly follows on from Dracula X and has the features I have already mentioned)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-August-2014 at 17:54.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

sounds like i might have to check out the psp port after all. i was going to before but wasn't sure how much was altered from the psx version and held off on it. welp, i'm off to start the download and see what the psp version of SotN has to offer thanks for the info, zorlon.

well, that sucked. i went and unlocked SotN only for the screen to do this http://imgur.com/QMO8pkj after i get past the start screen. its not crashed but the picture is screwed up. this is with ppsspp. i stopped using jpsp and pcsp as this emulator seems to be the fastest without all too many issues aside from occasional issues like this one.

edit: after checking the ppsspp forums it looks like the main game, remake of rondo of blood, does work through to the end but the original games such as SotN don't work yet. :/ guess i've got no choice but to wait patiently till i can, and others, can play this version of SotN. i did find this however but i haven't looked through the blog yet. http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/

i don't really like visiting the ppsspp forums much tbh. can never seem to find exactly what i'm looking for (usually a update/compatability thread about a certain game) with the forum search function and always have to use google instead.
    Last edited by treos; 21st-August-2014 at 16:01.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ah I use a real PSP (via a soft mod, one of the easiest mods to install for a console), that kinda sucks that the original ports don't work via emulation yet

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

This armor knights near the clock room of the 2nd castle is the best spot to grind. I think you can hit around level 65-70 there before the EXP drops off to negligible levels. Those flying ghosts in the Library of the 2nd castle drop the best weapon, Crissaegrim (excluding the Alucard Shield + w/shield rod buff), its a very rare drop, but they're easy to farm. There is another weapon that is like a super flame sword (Marsil?) that has a QCF(quarter circle forward) special attack that does a multi-hit AOE explosion. Its dropped by the fire demons in castle 2, they also drop a flame shield as well I believe. The disk throwing guys (huge) in the catacombs in castle 2 drop a chakram, which is a solid reusable ranged weapon that can hit multiple times.

In castle 1 Library, the undead with rapiers drop that as a weapon, and its not too rare of a drop. The rapier has a solid QCF multi thrust special attack. That will last you a decent while. Something drops a fist that has a multi-hit attack similar to the rapier, except its a bit stronger, just can't remember what.
    Last edited by gamerdude211; 31st-August-2014 at 11:29.