Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound quality of Regen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    I know I said it further up the page, but seriously, use the low pass filter. There are extra components in the Genesis sound circuit that cause the output to be very heavily filtered, taming the high end and giving it that distinctive sound. Regen is simply emulating the YM2612 straight up - if you tapped the output straight from the chip and bypassed those components that's exactly what it would sound like. It doesn't sound right because you wouldn't normally hear those highs, hence the low pass filter is included in Regen as an option if you wish to mimic the additional circuitry. I promise you the higher sample rate isn't making anywhere near as much difference as you think it is.
    Sorry, I didn't notice your previous responce at first.
    I always use lowpass filter and, while it does make Regen sound more natural and pretty damn close to original hardware, but it still doesn't achieve the ultimate authenticity of 22050Hz paired with forementioned lowpass filter in emulators like Kega Fusion.
    Last edited by Nightquaker; 24th-August-2014 at 21:06.

Thanks
    EP Points

The soundrate of the Genesis FM soundchip is approximately 53Khz, you are wrong if you think emulator that outputs at 22050Hz are "more accurate".