Thread: Rise of the Tomb Raider - Xbox One Exclusive !?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Rise of the Tomb Raider - Xbox One Exclusive !?

So yeah, apparently the new Tomb Raider (Rise of the Tomb Raider) is an Xbox One exclusive. I've never known Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics do to this? I guess MS is paying them a lot of money.
    Hopefully it's only a timed exclusive anyway, the Tomb Raider reboot was pretty good.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I'm sure it's a temporal exclusivity to somehow compete with Uncharted 4. I don't think it's economically viable for a 3rd party to release games like these for just one console as new as Xbone is.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's funny to see articles stating "Tomb Raider ISNT COMING TO PS4", but why would the spin-off game come to PS4? Temple of Orisis is it? Surely that should be exclusive too if Rise of the Tomb Raider will never see PS4

Thanks
    EP Points

So it's just a timed exclusive...

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has cleared up some of the confusion regarding Rise of the Tomb Raider’s Xbox exclusivity deal and release platforms.

The sequel to last year’s reboot will indeed by a timed exclusive on Xbox One and Xbox 360, with the game coming to other platforms (including presumably PlayStation) at a later date. The duration of the exclusivity is yet to be confirmed.

"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox,” Spencer told Eurogamer. “It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is.

“What [Square Enix] do with the franchise in the long run is not mine,” he continued. “I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes.”

Asked flat out if Rise of the Tomb Raider was a timed Xbox exclusive, Spencer replied, “Yes, the deal has a duration”, adding later, “Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity.”
    Source: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/n...Exclusive.html

Good ol' Microsoft misleading people on purpose.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

By the sound of it, it would seem that he bought it with his own money