Thread: Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2 Issues

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2 Issues

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some issues I've been having emulating the aforementioned game.

As is the problem with other atlus games I've emulated, the text in the game is almost unreadable (I read somewhere else it has something to do with lack of sprites, idk), especially so with this game though.

I've already tried switching from soft rasterizer (sp?) to open GL, which handily fixes the text issue. However, when I switch to open GL the game slows down and the sound is completely butchered. I've tinkered around with the sound settings as well and nothing works so long as open gl is used.

Normally I'd just got back to the butchered text so that everything else functions properly but it's so bad that certain words are illegible and names are impossible to read altogether.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What emulator are you using?

I have not tried emulating this one, since I own it. I literally buy anything from atlus.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh wow I'm an idiot, I didn't even list my emulator! I'm using desmume to run this.

I'd also buy the physical copy but I can't find one at my local gamestop and most things I looked for online are $20 and shipping which I don't feel like spending on a game that I'll buy the remake for (if and when break record comes out).

Thanks
    EP Points

Just wanted to say, I have managed to resolve my issues, found a modded version of desmume that had txt hacking enabled which smoothed all my issues and actually improved the graphics.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thats really great to know for future reference. What is the hack called?

Thanks
    EP Points

I believe it was this one, http://www.emucr.com/2014/08/desmume...-20140803.html, it was on a list of dozens of other modded versions of desmume. Its default 3d is softrastrerizer, but there is an option in 3d settings to use txt hack which smooths over texts in Atlus games like Etrian Odyssey and this one. I then had my sound settings on synch method N, 5880 buffer, direct sound and linear, which fixed distortion caused by the txt hack.

I do recall reading somewhere that modded versions have enhanced features but may be less stable, so keep that in mind. Also, a little window will open alongside the emulator when run, it looks like a command prompt window and shows the processes run by the emulator.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to papastalin For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by papastalin View Post
    Oh wow I'm an idiot, I didn't even list my emulator! I'm using desmume to run this.

I'd also buy the physical copy but I can't find one at my local gamestop and most things I looked for online are $20 and shipping which I don't feel like spending on a game that I'll buy the remake for (if and when break record comes out).
    Best way is to buy a flash kit, the kits are cheap enough and you can play whatever you like with very little hassle and no lag at all (the no lag thing depends on how good the microSD is that flash kits use to store the games and saves)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR