Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which PCSX2 settings should I use? (SMT III: Nocturne)

Thanks

Red face Which PCSX2 settings should I use? (SMT III: Nocturne)

Hi,
    I'm a complete noob, searching for help.^^

I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne and just noticed that it wasn't meant to be as blurry as it is on my screen. Also, the Protagonists shadow is completely missing.
    I don't quite understand the setting options and need help to set everything so that I can play most games (especially SMT III atm ) on a decent level without any blurring and missing graphics.

What I'm using:

Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230MM CPU @ 2.6GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
    Graphics: GeForce GT 650M (x2, SLI), 4034 MB
    DirectX 11
    Emulator: PCSX2 1.2.1

Regards

Thanks

Please help me.

I tried to play around with the video plugins and reverted everything back as it was before, but now the screen is also flickering.
    What plugins do I need? (Where do I download them?) Is there no list of games (including SMT III) with the best settings?

Here are some pics how the game ("Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne(USA).iso" from emuparadise) looks emulated:
    http://s30.postimg.org/jck3x2i7j/smtnoc1.png
    http://s28.postimg.org/48z9rh5u3/smtnoc2.png
    http://s28.postimg.org/l8886qh1n/smtnoc3.png
    http://s24.postimg.org/rdqxm4pfn/smtnoc4.png

Please help.

Thanks
    EP Points

Generally you can just check the PCSX2 wiki for the best settings & emulator version for specific games. Here's a link to their Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne page; http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Shin...nsei:_Nocturne
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Switch to different the Interlacing mode during ingame by pressing F5, see if there any changes.
    vc3 released.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    Generally you can just check the PCSX2 wiki for the best settings & emulator version for specific games. Here's a link to their Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne page; http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Shin...nsei:_Nocturne
    Thanks for answering. I didn't know about that wiki yet...
    On the page you posted it says that the GSdx r5819 plugin works best with SMT III: Nocturne. If I google for it I get to this page: http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/source/detail?r=5819 ...
    I searched and searched but couldn't find the necessary file(s) and an easy way to download(?) them. It all looks so alien to me...

Quote Originally Posted by meganova View Post
    Switch to different the Interlacing mode during ingame by pressing F5, see if there any changes.
    Thanks, but that didn't make it better.

---Still in need for help.

Thanks
    EP Points

What is your graphic settings? Have you tried the latest SVN yet?

Try using software mode(toggled via F9 during ingame) or switch to scaling mode and set it to 3x or 4x
    vc3 released.

Thanks

Graphic settings? Not sure if that is what you are asking for, but...

GSdx 5875 (MSVC 18,00, AVX) 0.1.16 [gsdx32-avx-r5875]

Default Hardware Device
    Direct3D9 (Hardware)
    Blend bff (slight blur, 1/2 fps)
    [x] Native
    [x] Texure filtering
    [x] Logarithmic Z
    [x] Alpha correction (FBA)

-
    How do I try the latest "SVN"?

I kept pressing F9 ingame but the graphics stayed the same everytime. Where can I find scaling mode?

Thanks

Please help!!

I found out about how to get the shadows of the Protagonist back, and everything is fine now... Just one thing: The pictures are really blurry.
    The edges are pixelated and there are no nice and clean lines. Edge anti-aliasing doesn't work. Other games are blurry as well.

Please help me, how to get rid of the bluriness and get clean pictures???
    Last edited by Pabilsag; 7th-September-2014 at 03:29.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pabilsag View Post
    Please help!!

I found out about how to get the shadows of the Protagonist back, and everything is fine now... Just one thing: The pictures are really blurry.
    The edges are pixelated and there are no nice and clean lines. Edge anti-aliasing doesn't work. Other games are blurry as well.

Please help me, how to get rid of the bluriness and get clean pictures???
    Set your Gsdx to D3D11, not D3D9. It's faster.

Interlacing: None (Never saw a real need for this thing).
    Enable FXAA
    Scaling: Either 3X or 4X, or if you want: Custom (1920x1080 would be recommended and is also handy if you want to make videos/screenshots) - Make sure Native is not checked, because then you'll just be using the PS2's internal resolution, which is usually around 512x### or 640x### (aka crappy).
    Texture Filtering: Should be 'filled' with a square, not a check.
    Enable HW Hacks: You can keep this turned off, or if you want MSAA 4X you can enable that.

Give it a try with those settings.

Your PC specs are more than enough to run with those settings.

Last edited by Ryudo; 17th-September-2014 at 19:26.
    YouTube (Gameplay Videos)
    Intel Core i5-4670k @ 3.40GHz | Radeon HD 7850 | 6GB DDR3-1333 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 640 GB HDD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryudo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xRyudo View Post
    Set your Gsdx to D3D11, not D3D9. It's faster.

Interlacing: None (Never saw a real need for this thing).
    Enable FXAA
    Scaling: Either 3X or 4X, or if you want: Custom (1920x1080 would be recommended and is also handy if you want to make videos/screenshots) - Make sure Native is not checked, because then you'll just be using the PS2's internal resolution, which is usually around 512x### or 640x### (aka crappy).
    Texture Filtering: Should be 'filled' with a square, not a check.
    Enable HW Hacks: You can keep this turned off, or if you want MSAA 4X you can enable that.

Give it a try with those settings.

Your PC specs are more than enough to run with those settings.
    Thanks a lot. It worked.

The only thing that's missing is the main characters shadow.
    Quote Originally Posted by From wiki.pcsx2.net:
    As of r5819, the shadow has been removed from the main character in Hardware rendering mode. Switch to software mode to display the shadow on the main character again.
    But Software mode is blurry as before and Hardware mode is totally fine and clean. Is there still something I can do for the shadow? If not, it's okay I guess, I can live without it.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    EP Points

You could fetch a PCSX2 version prior to r5819 and then just grab the Gsdx plugin from there and use that instead for this game. Should technically work.
    Last edited by Ryudo; 20th-September-2014 at 14:28.
    Intel Core i5-4670k @ 3.40GHz | Radeon HD 7850 | 6GB DDR3-1333 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 640 GB HDD

Thanks

I also have PCSX2 1.0.0 (r5350) now. What exactly must I do now?

Thanks

Ah, I got it now. Thanks.

There is only one last problem, lol.
    The shadow of the main character is on top of the main character:

http://oi59.tinypic.com/sxy5ox.jpg

I tried Alpha Hack, as it states it can fix shadow problems, but it didn't work.
    Last edited by Pabilsag; 21st-September-2014 at 15:19.

Thanks
    EP Points

Apparently you have to go as old as 0.9.6 for PCSX2 and fetch the Gsdx version from that one.

This might affect the way the game performs though, because back then it was only D3D10 support. And I'm not entirely sure about possible other graphical bugs.

Thanks

I tried it with the 0.9.6 Gsdx but for some reason my plugin changes didn't save after I changed them (meaning: it used D3D9). The shadow is still on top of the character and there are some major bugs.