Thread: Modchipping a 5501

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Modchipping a 5501

I am considering installing a modchip on my US SCPH 5501 PS1. I just have some concerns and was looking for any advice or precautions I should take when performing this mod.
    First, is there a particular type of soldering iron that I should use; the lands are smaller that I am used to working with, and I was unsure whether tip on a standard soldering iron would be sufficient. Also, relating to the prior concern, should I be conerned about any heat damage from the iron; I know that some sets have variable resistors that allow you to set the heat; I don't have one of those sets; I plug my soldering iron directly to the wall.
    Those are my primary concerns, though there may be other things that I didn't think of; if there is anything else that you think I should be aware of, then please feel free to post it.

Also, this is the modchip I plan on installing:
    http://www.eurasia.nu/shop/product_i...22a2d8d98072fc
    If you have any recommendations for other chips or sellers, then please feel free to recommend them, though please note that I live in the US, as shipping rates will affect my decision to use or not use a seller.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't know a whole lot about console modchips, but I do know a bit about soldering. When soldering pins on most ICs (chips like this modchip) there are a few basic things to keep in mind.

While you would be best off with a smaller-than-average tip and variable heat, you should be able to pull it off with a standard one, so long as the tip isn't too fat/dull to only touch one pin at a time. When soldering ICs you need to make sure as little heat gets to the chip as possible, as too much can destroy the chip. Make sure you use solder with a high tin to lead ratio; more tin means it melts faster, meaning less time for heat transfer. A heat sink clamp can help, but isn't essential if you have a decent amount of soldering experience. If you need to desolder anything make sure you've got some solder wick (or even better, a "solder sucker" like this one) to draw off the old solder.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    I don't know a whole lot about console modchips, but I do know a bit about soldering. When soldering pins on most ICs (chips like this modchip) there are a few basic things to keep in mind.

While you would be best off with a smaller-than-average tip and variable heat, you should be able to pull it off with a standard one, so long as the tip isn't too fat/dull to only touch one pin at a time. When soldering ICs you need to make sure as little heat gets to the chip as possible, as too much can destroy the chip. Make sure you use solder with a high tin to lead ratio; more tin means it melts faster, meaning less time for heat transfer. A heat sink clamp can help, but isn't essential if you have a decent amount of soldering experience. If you need to desolder anything make sure you've got some solder wick (or even better, a "solder sucker" like this one) to draw off the old solder.
    Thanks, that info is helpful.
    I do have to pose two new questions now:
    1. Is there any reason that I shouldn't use lead-free solder?
    2. I read that you could wrap a copper wire around a soldering iron to provide a finer tip. Is there any risk of damage to the iron if this method is used? Also, if this method is safe, is there any particular gauge that I should or shoudn't use?

Thanks
    EP Points

Not really familiar with lead free solder, but according to this site it shouldn't make a huge difference when doing general purpose soldering. As long as it has enough tin (I'd say at least 70%) it should be alright.

I've also never tried the copper wire trick you're describing, but it shouldn't melt or damage your iron if it's just wrapped. Solid core wire (as opposed to stranded) would probably be what you wanna look for, and gauge wise I would think anything finer than the tip of your iron would be okay. Might want to wait and see if anyone else here has tried it before though, just in case there's something I'm missing here.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"