Thread: Super Mario 64 romhack problems

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Super Mario 64 romhack problems

i know i can't expect all that much from the emulator Project 64 depending on the game but what is it with all the bad romhacks of this game? whenever i try one i get either a few different errors or it says the rom is stuck in a endless loop or something and stops the emulation of the game.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1509/ (SM64 StarRevenge v1)

after using the ppf patch for this hack the following things happen upon booting up the game via project64:

error: In a permanent loop that cannot be exited. Emulation will stop now. Verify ROM and ROM settings.

i patched the rom correctly and my rom settings on the emulator are:

CPU Core style: default
    self-modifying code style: default
    memory size: default
    advanced block linking: default
    default save type: use first used save type (i think thats the default setting)
    counter factor: default
    and register caching and use ltb boxes are ticked

ppf-o-matic3 was the program i used to patch this hack to the rom. as usual, the rom i'm trying to use is the one from this site.

edit: oh and as is obvious if you check the readme, the creator(s) of this romhack was apparently too lazy to include basic information on how to get his/her hack to even work properly. something that is fairly common and is something i REALLY HATE when it comes to romhacks. is it really so hard to add info such as whether or not it has to be a headered rom, or maybe a file size so you can tell if you even have the correct darn file to begin with?
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-July-2014 at 12:30. Reason: Edit this back again and I will issue points with pleasure

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    oh and as is obvious if you check the readme, the creator(s) of this romhack was apparently too lazy to include basic information on how to get his/her hack to even work properly. something that is fairly common and is something i REALLY HATE when it comes to romhacks. is it really so hard to add info such as whether or not it has to be a headered rom, or maybe a file size so you can tell if you even have the correct darn file to begin with?
    romhacking tend to provide a bit of extra info and has info on the rom required for the patch to work

ROM / ISO Information:

• Super Mario 64 (U) [!].z64 - GOODN64 3.14
    • CRC32: 3CE60709
    • MD5: 20B854B239203BAF6C961B850A4A51A2
    • SHA-1: 9BEF1128717F958171A4AFAC3ED78EE2BB4E86CE

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

well, at around 5.3-5.4gb for the goodn64 romset. i don't think that big a download is worth it for a few hacks of just one game. :/ the copy of that game i have isn't from the full rom set. i wouldn't mind it if the rom set wasn't 5gb+ in size but that would take me hours, if not a few days off and on, if i try downloading all the parts.

rom hacks, fun when you can get them to work (most of the time), mildly annoying when you can't. well, guess i'll go look for something else to do then.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Wow you gave in far too quick

z64 files are Big Endian

chances are you can convert the rom you have to this

I just changed Super Mario 64 (USA).n64 Byte Swapped rom (can be *.n64/*.v64) to a Big Endian rom (*.z64) and now it has the correct CRC value for the patch to work

I have attached the tool I used

Just open the folder containing the extracted rom

select the rom then tap the blue arrow pointing right, to convert to Big Endian

you can then check the crc value externally to the tool used to convert, as the CRC values listed in there are not the CRC value of the file, they are internal CRC values

I could even upload the rom for you, I'm not all bad
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-July-2014 at 15:26.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

:/ yeah, your probably right about me giving up on that too easily. of course it doesn't help matters when i've found a few good looking pc games which i proceed to test and see them fail to run on my laptop then try these romhacks again only to get errors (MORE failure ) and have them fail to work for me as well.

anywho, it seems i get to learn a bit more about rom with the above post and i've no complaints about that. well, let's see if this will work.

edit: MD5 is a match and...darn, it still gives the endless loop error.
    Last edited by treos; 29th-July-2014 at 02:29.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

OK I also tried everything I could think of to get this patched with no luck what so ever

I ran the original z64 rom through a couple of extra tools and got the correct file size (M64 ROM Extender v1.3 + rom_expand) that googling round informed me

I know the correct file size because I found this pre patched at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoHqla4vDso

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

huh, ok

if it doesn't work this time i'm going to start tinkering with the emulator settings since, as you pointed out, the rom seems to check out fine.

WHAT. THE. F?!

error: Unknown Cic Chip
    error: Unhandled CicChip(-1) in first DMA

wait... spoke too soon, its working so far despite those error messages. O.O how can be so rusty that i miss the very first jump? *facepalm* OK, let's try that again...

darn, hard jumps from the start but at least its working now.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Those are very common with the Mario 64 hacks, but does not stop the games working

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

huh, ok

WHAT. THE. F?!

To fix this download the SM64 Level Importer, load the rom, and click on the Rom Settings Tab. Then click the checkbox restore CRC and Checksum. Then click save changes, and you are done! Don't worry if it asks you to patch for improvements. But be careful I would backup your rom because sometimes these improvements will crash some rom hacks. If you don't want the patches say no when asked to patch the obj patch.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMuJsmQR9z8

Enjoy!