Thread: Donpachi - Can't get it working.

Thanks
    EP Points

Angry Donpachi - Can't get it working.

Not to be confused with the 2nd one, DoDonpachi. Donpachi, the first one, for some reason my emulators (varies versions of sff) cannot play beyond the loading screen after the main title; it just sits on a black screen.

I've heard the playstation port is better so I thought of just playing that, but I can't find it anywhere on the net. So does anyone know how to get the game working on saturn emulation, or where to find it for playstation?

I'm trying to avoid MAME. Thanks

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This game does seem to fail both in SSF and Yabause

Once the game loads after hitting Start Game it does indeed load to a blue/black screen with no detail at all, the game may not be emulated

... I do wish the old compat list was still up for this as it was good for the few games that only worked with x version of SFF but that is now gone :/

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

You could always try it on a playstation emulator as it was released for that too (in Japan) and I just checked Gladiators Datacenter and looks like it works. It's also on PSN.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    You could always try it on a playstation emulator as it was released for that too (in Japan) and I just checked Gladiators Datacenter and looks like it works. It's also on PSN.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenaple View Post
    I've heard the playstation port is better so I thought of just playing that, but I can't find it anywhere on the net.
    Even the PSX port sucks vs the original arcade version but as it happens I uploaded the official PSone Classics version of it and there is a tool I can upload than can extract the disc image from that in bin+cue format

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?92704 = [PSone Classics] DonPachi [JP]
    Last edited by Zorlon; 26th-July-2014 at 04:04.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Donpachi was reported fully playable with SSF 0.07 Beta R5. Assuming what you are using is the latest version, you could always try the one for which it was reported playable.
    You can get all the old releases from here.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks everyone. What tool converts that pbp file? I've ended up with an iso that will play on psx but without background music. Might be good enough for checking out the game though, unless the music rocks. I think I'm missing a cdd for some reason.

That reminds me, Zorlon (as a part time games modder), any chance you could completely remove the "bonus" voice effect from Blazing Star? That game seems awesome but I can't even play it because hearing "BONUS" over and over and over drives me crazy.

No worries, thanks again.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Work has me shattered at the moment so that is not going to happen sorry

You should get a cue plus bin file and run it via the cue file only for ePSXe 1.7.0 to 1.9.0 or mount the cue via Daemon Tools lite for older versions of ePSXe

psxtract is the tool if you run a bat file I included it will produce a CDROM folder with a disc image in it, if you do rename the files, then make sure to edit the cue in notepad and change the file names inside the cue file also
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-July-2014 at 18:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks again, Zorlon. Got the CDROM bin and cue. Game still isn't playing with background music though. Maybe I've got a weird setting going wrong in ePSXe. Man, I've never had so much trouble with any game. I might just take your advise and play the MAME version. Ciao.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Perhaps a different emulator I also could not get BGM working either

I never tested this on my PSP though yet so don't know if it just has that missing or not

Mame version should be fine

For ease of use I recommend something like MameUI (32 bit version preferably as I have noticed bugs in the 64bit version)

http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui_en has that, just make sure the version of the emulator matches the version of roms used and vice versa

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: