Thread: need help finding a computer

Thanks

Default need help finding a computer

ok I wasn't sure where to post this I assume it goes here in free for all but I may be wrong...anyway I've got a serious issue.

im trying to find a new computer suitable for playing the emulators like the ps2, gamecube, psp, etc. all the emulators that require dual cores. I have found lots of them on best buy but all are under the ghz requirements...there all 2.4 or 2.5 and the website for the pscx 2 emulator says I need at least 3.2! im about to loose hope. where can I get a suitable computer needed to play emulators like these! im looking to spend no more then $623

PLEASE FREAKING HELP ME!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you know how: Build your own custom rig. Not sure you can build one that will emulate PS2 at that price, but you will surely get more for your money ordering parts and assembling it yourself.

I ordered a bunch of parts from Newegg a few years back and had PS2 emulation running well for $850 including the OS, not including keyboard, mouse, monitor, gamepad. Seems like it was an Intel Duo with 4 cores at 3.2 GHz with an nVidia GT450 GPU. Probably a lot cheaper to get all those parts now.

tl:dr - build a computer.

Feel free to ask around in the Computer Corner forum here. Folks would probably be glad to help, although you may need some explanation on all the terms they are going to use.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 22nd-July-2014 at 19:13.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

well I can always buy a computer and replace the parts inside...I did spot the right one....duel core processor with 8gb ram and 3.2 ghz for 323$ but I was hoping to avoid that...hoping to get a desktop with all the parts I need but it looks like im crap out of luck

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Cheap off-the-shelf computers are cheap because the parts are cheap. You probably won't be able to upgrade them much, or they might have extremely out-dated parts that won't run many games. Even searching for a computer builder kit can be cheaper and have much better parts than a computer from a department store. If you go with a builder kit, it will have all the parts you need and they will be compatible.

I'll PM you a link to newegg.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiFan7 View Post
    well I can always buy a computer and replace the parts inside...I did spot the right one....duel core processor with 8gb ram and 3.2 ghz for 323$ but I was hoping to avoid that...hoping to get a desktop with all the parts I need but it looks like im crap out of luck
    That's not a terrible price for a prebuilt and depending on the processor model you might be okay on that front. At that price though you're going to get something with an integrated graphics chipset, which are generally piss poor at doing emulation beyond maybe N64/PS1. If you do end up going for a prebuilt you're going to want to make sure the motherboard has a PCI-E slot for a dedicated video card; you can probably find a good enough one for under $100.

Like skullpoker was saying though you'll always get more bang for your buck buying all the parts separately and building one. There are shittons of guides out there, but these are some of the major things to keep in mind;

1. Before doing anything make sure to thoroughly read the motherboards manual. There will be parts where you'll need to install jumpers to connect specific pins together, and hooking up the power button usually works the same way. You'll also find what are called "beep codes" (a series of long & short beeps); basically if anything goes wrong these will tell you where the problem is.

2. Static shock can completely ruin computer components, so you'll want to either get an anti-static wrist strap (costs between $5-$10) or touch something else made of metal before handling the parts.

3. Double and triple check that the motherboard you pick uses the right CPU socket type for the CPU you pick. There are many very similar socket types out there, and even the smallest discrepancy means incompatibility. Also make sure it will fit the case you buy.

All in all as long as you follow simple guidelines, building a computer is really only slightly more difficult than building with legos
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

i hope im not going to get in trouble for posting on this cause its old...i probalby will but i need to get some final advice....i think i have finally found the perfect computer and i have 2 options and both at great prices
    any way here they are

Option 1 is on walmart....$499
    CybertronPC Red Patriot TGM1293D Desktop PC:

Key Features and Benefits:
    AMD A4-5300 Dual-Core processor
    3.40GHz

8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 32GB)

1TB SATA hard drive

AMD Radeon HD 7480D Integrated Graphics

Option 2 is on tigerdirect for $439
    AMD A6-6400K APU
    500GB SATA III HDD
    4GB DDR3 Memory
    AMD Radeon HD 8470D GPU/VPU
    Win 8.1 64-bit Operating System

anyway which one? or are either one of these good enough?

Thanks
    EP Points

Eh, it's your thread and barely over the necro mark, I think you'll be fine.

Anyway, considering Option 1 lists an integrated graphics chipset (not the best option for emulators etc), I say go for Option 2. When searching for "AMD Radeon HD 8470D" it seems to be a dedicated video card, and if it isn't (would need to see the ad) with the extra $60 you could probably get one. The lower ram isn't really an issue, 4GB is more than enough for most games (and definitely for emulators), and the second one appears to have the better CPU as well.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 25th-August-2014 at 09:52.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Dual core will not cut it. PCSX2 will lag probably, as i have a dual core myself. i totally agree with maslowk.