Thread: Computer may be infected.

Thanks

Default Computer may be infected.

Lately, I've been getting several pop up windows that say, "Warning, Your Computer May Be Infected. The system may have found two viruses that pose a serious threat: Browser.Hijacker.Spy./Trojan.FakeAV-Download". Then it gives a phone number.

I can't exit the window unless I shut down my computer, then turn it back on.

What do I do?

Thanks

Reinstall windows, install an antivirus, then do a full scan of all your drives before connecting to the internet?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you have another PC, burn a version of linux (I prefer linux mint) and you can then load up the linux desktop with no installing required, backup your files on the hard drive and then you can simply reinstall windows and if you want I can give you a list of free great protection for windows.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by VIKINGS View Post
    Reinstall windows, install an antivirus, then do a full scan of all your drives before connecting to the internet?
    That's overkill, don't do that unless you're thinking last resort.

Fetch some free antivirus install while at a friends house or library or whatever, and toss it on a thumbdrive. Boot computer in safe mode, install AV, scan computer.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

But I already have antivirus software.

And it only pops up when I go to site where I can watch cartoons.

Is it just another scam?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

I wouldn't assume it's just a scam. If it's just some popup ad you could ctrl+alt+delete and close your browser. You may just have some virus that your current AV doesn't actively find, and it's just picking up side effects. Try some alternate antivirus software.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Try malwarebytes as well at some point. its a really handy free program for getting things the antivirus miss

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Assuming it does actually refuse to let you close the window by any means, it does sound very reminiscent of the recent "this is the fbi/cia/whatever, pay us X cash to unlock!" scams (albeit without a ransom amount), and them posting a phone number doesn't help its case (no legitimate antivirus does this AFAIK). As others have mentioned, you'll be best off booting into safe mode to attempt to fix it before resorting to a reinstall.

Once in safe mode the first things to check are the startup items and services. To do that, go to the start menu, type msconfig into the search box and hit enter. On the Services tab, check the box at the bottom that says "Hide all Microsoft services", then disable anything that wasn't hidden. Then go to the Startup tab and click "Disable all" (99% of the time this won't affect windows ability to function), and finally hit Ok. Reboot your computer normally and see if the issue is still there.

If it is, then go download Malwarebytes, install it then run it in safe mode. Keep in mind that a lot of malware will cause damage to your system, usually by corrupting or editing particular files or configuration settings; with these, even if you remove the malware itself, it won't reverse these type of changes.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

As said above MalwareBytes is probably your best bet for dealing with this I had a similar issue except the popup came up as soon as I restarted my computer as well already had MalwareBytes installed so I booted into safe mode didn't get the pop up ran both MalwareBytes and my virus scanner rebooted and problem was solved

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.