Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What specific files do a PSX emu (e.g. ePSXe) require to run a game?

Thanks
    EP Points

Question What specific files do a PSX emu (e.g. ePSXe) require to run a game?

I've been mowing around these forums and cannot find a direct answer. It would be helpful if this FAQ could directly tell us the filetypes needed for a PSX emulator to run a game. I've weeded through so many posts, and have managed to rack up questions faster than answers.

I'm trying to play the games below on Android using an app called RetroArch; a free emulator w/multiple emulators from various consoles, or "cores" as they call it. I need to know which files to dump on Android in order for the "ePSXe" emulator/core to run the game(s).

The ROMs I've downloaded/unzipped from EmuParadise include various files, and I'm not certain which games are 100% ready to play and which ones are not. It seems I've got an assortment of flavors here, does it really got to be this complicated?

MediEvil 2
    1) CCD
    2) IMG (disc image file)
    3) SUB

Castlevania Symphony Of The Night
    1) 7z
    ---1) BIN.ECM
    2) APE

Castlevania Symphony Of The Night (a different version)
    1) BIN
    2) CUE

Twisted Metal 4
    1) CCD
    2) IMG.ECM
    3) SUB

Also, can someone give an explanation of each filetype, including the difference(s) between an ISO and a ROM?
    Last edited by Double44; 1st-July-2014 at 23:20.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Always run a game via it's descriptor file

either the cue file or the ccd file from the examples you gave, these files are required

ECM and APE file need converting though first, see the ECM And APE Guide in the Sony system guides stuck thread for more info on that

MediEvil 2 is ready to run as is, so is the alt version of Castlevania

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks Zorlon If the CUE and CCD are what the emulator needs to start the game, what is the purpose of the BIN/IMG/SUB files? Are those files game data too, or can they be left aside?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

you just load via those as descriptor files just tell the software what tracks are inside the bin or img file, the bin & img files have the actual data inside them, but if loaded without a cue or ccd they are just read as a data track so any cdda tracks are not read

Sub files are for sub data, mostly poinless as most CD burners and readers can't even read that data, but may be needed by some CD mounting software if it is a ccd+img file

There are tons of other formats but most are the much the same a descriptor file and a data file
    Descriptor files are always tiny in size but are important to telling whatever software is reading them what tracks are contained in the data file
    Data files are always the largest files and can contain data tracks and cdda tracks

Note *.iso files can not store cdda tracks and would store those individually (they are no good for emulation with and would need to be converted first)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-July-2014 at 04:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

ECM tools, is that potential malware? I watched a youtube video on its use.. and looks unsafe with its use of the command prompt, one user also mentioned something about a virus...?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Double44 View Post
    ECM tools, is that potential malware? I watched a youtube video on its use.. and looks unsafe with its use of the command prompt, one user also mentioned something about a virus...?
    There's a GUI version.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-ECM-Tools-GUI

Spoiler warning:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Double44 View Post
    No it's not a virus

You don't even need to use the command line

You can either drop the ecm on top of unecm or...

You can even double click on an ecm file, you will get an error message saying "Windows can't open this file", just check "O Select a program from a list of installed programs" then tap OK, on the next screen tap the Browse.. button and find that unecm.exe and hit OPEN then hit OK. (The next time you double click on an ecm file it will automatically unecm it, the is much quicker than using any gui based software)

Most windows software is command line based just most has a GUI wrapped round it, ePSXe itself is command line based and can still be ran that way, most emulators are, this does not make them unsafe if anything it just gives the users more options.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-July-2014 at 04:18.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks you guys very much for your help.. I've played NES/SNES/GBA roms, but PS1 is new ground. However I think i can finally take the plunge thanks to this forum

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, all you need is ePSXe and the Bios files, you can get both of them from this site, oh and the ISO files

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Daraghy For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Daraghy View Post
    Well, all you need is ePSXe and the Bios files, you can get both of them from this site, oh and the ISO files
    Please read a thread before trying to help

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Daraghy View Post
    ...i actually wish i had read your comment sooner, I completely overlooked the BIOS files.. i just downloaded the BIOS pack with the 15 different images.

EmuParadise do not mention the need for BIOS anywhere on the Download pages, perhaps it's one of the few reasons these PS1 ROMs are available on the site. When i started up MediEvil 2, my emulator (RetroArch) suggested that it couldn't find a BIOS file and that there might be bugs, in which there definitely were.

Do any other consoles/emulators (N64, etc) require similar files to the BIOS? With the PS1, some Youtube videos have suggested GUI files and memory card files... I'm not sure if any of these are needed, at least not for those playing on something other than a PC.
    Last edited by Double44; 8th-July-2014 at 17:02.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Playstation, Dreamcast, Saturn, Sega CD and 32X require bios images a few have a bios option as optional

Most CD/DVD/GD systems require a bios image though

SNES N64 Genesis and most older cart based systems don't require a bios

GUI files???

Memcard images are auto generated most the time
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-July-2014 at 17:50.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Playstation, Dreamcast, Saturn, Sega CD and 32X require bios images a few have a bios option as optional
    GUI files???
    ..oops i meant GPU haha. There was also something about a 'SPU' and 'zlib1.dll' ? Apparently zlib1.dll "eliminates any errors that might happen".. I've been watching too many videos XD

At this point I'm pretty sure all i need are ISO/ROMs, the BIOS and emulator.

I'm seeing a lot of [U], [E], (F), (J), (G), (I), and (S) in the titles of some of these ISOs... what do these mean? Are they trying to indicate the language? Some appear as (Japan) and (USA), I'm not understanding the differences between these and the abbreviated ones?
    Last edited by Double44; 9th-July-2014 at 00:34.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

U would be US.
    F is French.
    G is German.
    I is Italian.
    S would be Spanish (sometimes forum shares might have ESP).
    E is Europe, but people have been known to use it for English shares.
    J, JAP, JP or JPN are Japanese.

Spoiler warning:

21. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

J U E is as above regional codes (Others are language codes) these ones are actually used in the headers of games, to indicate not the language but to what region consoles they work on

E/EU/EUR games usually have English in them but can have others languages also or may not contain english but would normally be marked with the languages it has in it
    U/US/USA games all have English in them but occasionally have others
    J/JP/JPN/JAP games can be English also but most are Japanese only
    AS Asian, Chinese ect...

The rest are indeed Languages and they do vary

PAL-E [PAL][E] (because PAL is a European display type anyway you may find some as PAL-G that would be German ect)
    NTSC-U [NTSC][U] (NTSC is just the display type U is just USA)
    NTSC-J [NTSC][J] (as above but Japan)

Retail consoles and games are marked in such a way also

zlib1.dll is needed by ePSXe 1.9.0 I think it is and is not included, there is also a shark enhanced version or ePSXe 1.8.0 (It's not a cheats version as such but it is a fixed up version eliminating some of the bugs and generally improving it)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-July-2014 at 11:28.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: