Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anticipated next-gen Console price-drop date?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Anticipated next-gen Console price-drop date?

Hey there.

I'm considering purchasing one of the next-gen consoles, and I'm not sure if I want to wait, or get it now.

I'm wondering if anyone anticipates a price-drop after this year's E3 event?

My research indicate there is likely not much point, as the consoles won't even be 8 months old at this time, and as such are unlikely to drop in price.

If there is a price-drop after, then I would purchase once the drop hits.

If it is unlikely the price will drop for/after E3, then I will likely wait 'till next year, when hopefully the price drops for/after holidays.

So, basically all I'm wondering is what you think the likely-hood of a post-E3 price-drop for next-gen consoles is?

Cheers!

Also, if you have used both next-gen consoles:
    Which do you prefer, and why?
    If you are considering purchasing one:
    Which do are you leaning towards, and for what reasons?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Prices for the 2 main ones are still the same here, but both have bundle deals for that price (months ago it was the same price with no games).
    PS4 gets 2 games and a hdmi cable.
    Xbone has 4 games and kinect. $50 more expensive than the PS4 but has 2 extra games and the kinect so price wise it doesn't seem hugely unbalanced imo.

PS4 is obviously the favourite for everybody. Yeah I won't be getting either for a long time

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I would say that at E3 they might announce new bundles with the next most anticipated games coming out that might save you a few $$$ but other than that, probably not until 2015.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

The Xbone is supposed to get a drop of $100 around E3 due to them ditching the mandatory Kinect. That aside I wouldn't expect any drops in the upcoming year. Hell, here in Canada the PS4 actually increased in price $50 a couple months ago...
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    The Xbone is supposed to get a drop of $100 around E3 due to them ditching the mandatory Kinect. That aside I wouldn't expect any drops in the upcoming year. Hell, here in Canada the PS4 actually increased in price $50 a couple months ago...
    Hmmm, might have to keep an eye out if the price drops here. If I could get one cheaper than now but with kinect and 4 games, I could trade the kinect and 2 games. Still dunno if it would be worth it though.
    I don't expect to see much movement in PS4 prices here...the PS3 stayed expensive for years (still kinda is compared to the 360) and always had lame deals.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Hell, here in Canada the PS4 actually increased in price $50 a couple months ago...
    Yeah, I know. Was un-impressed with that.
    Also, to Sheras, in Canada XBox One dropped to $399; no mandatory-kinect.

Personally, I lean more toward getting a ps4 than the xbox one. Only reason I would lean toward Xbox is for Forza 5.
    I haven't done that much research, but from comparisons I've seen PS4 has superior graphics (as of now).

Likely the deciding factor in my ultimate-decision will be price...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ^Spawn^ View Post
    Always is for me Sony aren't very competitive with deals/prices here tbh. Although some stuff on psn is ok if you have Plus. Gold is basically crap

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ^Spawn^ View Post
    Yeah, I know. Was un-impressed with that.
    Also, to Sheras, in Canada XBox One dropped to $399; no mandatory-kinect.

Personally, I lean more toward getting a ps4 than the xbox one. Only reason I would lean toward Xbox is for Forza 5.
    I haven't done that much research, but from comparisons I've seen PS4 has superior graphics (as of now).

I wasn't factoring that in because they are dropping hardware to reduce the price, they aren't dropping the price because of age/newer models.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Look, it's Spawn! :O

I don't expect any kind of price drop either. As Sheras said, new bundles are a different thing, the more than rumoured PS4+Vita one being the most interesting of them all for those looking to have both consoles and make the best use of their Plus subscriptions.

Thanks
    EP Points

PS4 + Vita bundle? If that surfaces here I expect the price will still be insane

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Haha, hey Cookie Monster!

Didn't think anyone would remember me !

Good point, the price drop with less hardware isn't really a price drop; just a different option for same value.

Tbh I don't have much interest in a Vita myself, though the idea is pretty neat. The price would definitely be insane...

Thanks for your input, people!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Drops aside, have you paid attention to the various schemes for getting a console under the MSRP? Like I just saw this posted the other day on CAG:

For anyone interested in a *relatively* cheap PS4, you can take advantage of a variation on the deal I used to get mine last year:
    - Create a free account at Great Canadian Rebates
    - Once you're approved and make a purchase (I bought gas one time with mine), you'll get 2000 Sony Points
    - GCR will give you a $60 cashback incentive once approved for the card.
    - Buy your PS4 through GCR to get an additional 4.5% back

Doing some rough math, you should be able to get a PS4 for around $350 (not incl. tax), once it's all said and done. ($60 incentive, $20 in Sony points, $20 cashback).

Not to brag, or anything, but a buddy and I got in on it last year while MBNA was offering 10,000 Sony points for signing up; we were able to pre-order our PS4s for under $250 all-in
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you HAVE to get one new I'd wait for Black Friday.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    If you HAVE to get one new I'd wait for Black Friday.
    Buy stuff for me.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Good call on Black Friday. Think that's what I'm going to wait for.

That little scheme for getting under MSRP is actually pretty neat!

But I think I'll just head down to the states for Black Friday and pick one up. They are roughly $100 cheaper down there right now. Maybe closer to $80 less after exchange rate. Still pretty significant (about the same as the rough-math for that little scheme ).