Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: FIFA World Cup discussion

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It was pretty great seeing Robben unleashed today. His second goal in particular was vintage Robben.

Thanks
    EP Points

I won't talk much about that japanese referee, but I can say that our game was very impressive against "mighty" Seleção. After that opening game I really think that this Brazil has no chance for winning the Cup (only if FIFA and referees help them). Our defense wasn't at the top level, but it was the same for brazilian defense. Despite all that I'm proud of my country and I think we can beat Camerun and Mexico and reach the second place in our group, even I think that we will have a really hard time against Mexico.

...And Hail! to Oranje, what a great demonstration of power and knowledge.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah man Croatia fought well.

What a save by Ospina off Kone's cannon blast! Thought we were headed for 1-1 there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Major surprise with Uruguay today :O

And Italy - England was probably the best match so far, very disputed and England deserving the tie. This young England team looks really promising.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Add Uruguay and Maxi Pereira to the list of shame Cookie.

Yeah I'll be honest, I didn't expect much out of the Italy England match. I felt it was overhyped. But it really did live up to the billing. England's decision to go young was definitely correct.

Thanks
    EP Points

Part of my rooting against England in the past has been Scottish-English banter, but mostly it's just been because I didn't really rate most of their players, thought they played ugly and dull football, and disliked the way that the media and pundits here overhyped England / had blinkers on when it came to the quality of other teams (the fact that they thought that they were favourites going into the match against a quality Germany team in the last World Cup, for example, despite struggling to get out of a group with USA, Slovenia and Algeria). I always felt like the tournament was better for their elimination in the past, as they weren't a team I ever really wanted to watch.

Last night was completely different, though. The media were completely realistic about England's weaknesses as well as Italy's strengths, Hodgson gave a chance to a number of the young, exciting players that I like in their current team, and they played enjoyable, technical football that was so far from what they've been playing in the last few major tournaments. Last night's game was the first time in a long, long time that I've been able to enjoy an England game for anything other than the schadenfreude of watching them lose, and I would have been very happy to see the tie go either way. Entertaining game and good, good performance from England. If they continue to play like that, I have no doubt that they'll get out of their group.

As for Uruguay, I had a small bet on Joel Campbell to score for Costa Rica, as he impressed me in both Olympiakos's tie against Manchester United and Costa Rica's recent friendly against Japan, so his impressive performance wasn't a shock. What was surprising, though, was both the degree to which he impressed, and the performance that Costa Rica's squad gave as a whole. I figured that even if Campbell or another player scored, it would still end 2-1 or 3-1 to Uruguay, but Costa Rica completely deserved the win in my mind, and the final scoreline was not in any way unjust. After seeing England and Italy last night I can't really look past them as the two teams to qualify, but it would be an incredible achievement if Costa Rica could go on to sneak out of such a difficult group.

And Japan... dear oh dear. There's nothing shameful about losing 2-1 to Ivory Coast, but so, so disappointed with the manner of the defeat. Japan's greatest strength is in their ability to dominate possession with skilful, technical midfield players, but every time they got the ball they were giving it right back to Ivory Coast with nervy, mishit passes, and inviting more and more pressure. They could have conceded five or six, and frankly the scoreline flatters them. The worst thing is that Ivory Coast looked really, really shaky at the back, and on a good day, the vision of players like Honda and Kagawa would have had no problem opening up their defence again and again. But last night there was no vision, no belief and no effort. If they can pull themselves together and deliver the kind of performances that I know they can, then I'm still confident that they can win their remaining two games. But if they play like last night? They could quite genuinely go out with 0 points.
    Last edited by Elin; 15th-June-2014 at 10:47.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ivory Coast is shaky at back.

Drogba is so good, all he has to do is be on the pitch and they rain goals.

Thanks
    EP Points

No way. This year there won't be any draw

Hall of Shame of the WC 2014:

Spoiler warning:

- Japanese referee (Brazil-Croatia)
    - Spain
    - Uruguay
    - Maxi Pereira

(you guys can add to the list yourself or even create a Hall of Fame! )

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Swiss Ecuador ref was close to making the list. He's on notice at least. Swiss getting that late goal bailed them out.

List of Studs and Bosses of WC 2014
    Robin Van Persie
    Arjen Robben
    Costa Rica
    Karim Benzema
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 15th-June-2014 at 21:07.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sacré bleu! Honduras was no rival for Benzema :O

I have the feeling that France isn't going to miss Ribéry too much...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Benzema is really good. Really like what I saw from France. Attacking minded football and playing as a team for the most part. Especially compared to 2010. If they manage to beat the Swiss and top the group I could see them doing about as well as I predicted. Amazing what happens when you actually play your best players and leave the malcontents at home.

It was really easy last WC to hate England and France. This time not so much!

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Last night's game was the first time in a long, long time that I've been able to enjoy an England game for anything other than the schadenfreude of watching them lose, and I would have been very happy to see the tie go either way. Entertaining game and good, good performance from England. If they continue to play like that, I have no doubt that they'll get out of their group.
    Mhm, best game I've seen in a good while. I mean, Holland v Spain was sort of enjoyable in that car accident kind of way; but England and Italy playing with such pace (at times) totally surprised me. Was I the only one being annoyed with Sterling for his crappy long shots/final balls though? I really hate when them pundits go "WOW WHAT A GUY DRIBBLE DRIBBLE LOLZ".

As for Uruguay, I had a small bet on Joel Campbell to score for Costa Rica, as he impressed me in both Olympiakos's tie against Manchester United and Costa Rica's recent friendly against Japan, so his impressive performance wasn't a shock. What was surprising, though, was both the degree to which he impressed, and the performance that Costa Rica's squad gave as a whole.
    50 £ on Wenger selling him for two million pounds with a 50 % sell-on clause.

I was sort of planning to point out that Pogba was a bit lucky not to fuck everything up for France (since when isn't lashing out like that always a red etc?), but old Wilson really could've seen red for the stomping so... eh. Also, the media had tricked me into believing Deschamps would play Giroud along with Benz. :< Benz is totally a cool nickname by the way. Trademark pending.

Elmdor's WC hall of shame
    Spain. Especially Fábregas. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO REACT.
    Croatia. Needs more Eduardo.
    Djorou. The number 20 isn't supposed to play instead of the number 4!!!
    Gervinho's forehead. Just because.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Agree completely on France. Lots of creativity, pace and energy, and finally playing as a team! Easily the best they've looked since the days of Zizou et al! :O

Thought Honduras were awful, though. Least favourite team of the tournament so far by far. It's fine to be physical, but they were basically just barging the French players off the ball and kicking chunks out of them. Lucky to even finish with ten men. Though I suppose Pogba probably should have walked too, so fair's fair~

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    Mhm, best game I've seen in a good while. I mean, Holland v Spain was sort of enjoyable in that car accident kind of way; but England and Italy playing with such pace (at times) totally surprised me. Was I the only one being annoyed with Sterling for his crappy long shots/final balls though? I really hate when them pundits go "WOW WHAT A GUY DRIBBLE DRIBBLE LOLZ".
    Yeah, my little brother and I were having a go at Sterling too. Started well, but couldn't play a cross to save himself in the second half.

50 £ on Wenger selling him for two million pounds with a 50 % sell-on clause.
    I hear he's considering an offer from Crystal Palace of 500k plus Chamakh.
    Last edited by Elin; 15th-June-2014 at 23:03.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

ELMDOR. RVP. HE'S GOOD!

@Elly: Yeah Honduras gave CONCACAF a bad look.

Thanks
    EP Points

Lucky Argentina is lucky. They haven't improved too much in 4 years. Still the same big problem in the midfield. Sure their bunch of forwards can resolve most of the matches but I'm not sure what their real chances are against teams with strong, dominant midfielders.
    And Bosnia.. well, good intentions but they play too slow. Not that Argentina helped either.

Elmdor's WC hall of shame
    Spain. Especially Fábregas. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO REACT.
    Croatia. Needs more Eduardo.
    Djorou. The number 20 isn't supposed to play instead of the number 4!!!
    Gervinho's forehead. Just because.
    I like yours more than mine

Also, blame Mou.