Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: FIFA World Cup discussion

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Indeed. I made my terrible joke in the hangout and moved on. Here's to hoping Germany beats Argentina.

Watch out Cookie, we might have to get you fitted for a straight jacket.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Indeed. I made my terrible joke in the hangout and moved on. Here's to hoping Germany beats Argentina.

Watch out Cookie, we might have to get you fitted for a straight jacket.
    Already have one, would only have to wear it!

Briefly, a couple of things I forgot to mention: FIFA rectified and observed the well deserved respect for Di Stéfano yesterday. DeMichelis should have been sent off in the first half

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well, they did need at least one South American side in the final of course.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, they did need at least one South American side in the final of course.
    Brazil wasn't apt for the role, obviously

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks
    EP Points

Congrats Germany!

That prize for Messi is totally like that Nobel Peace they gave Obama some years ago, a total joke, right?

Unless it was meant to be for the footie player most prone to puke during a match, of course

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

He didn't deserve it...that's the worst part. Is it a career achievement award? I don't think so, it's supposed to be an award for best player of the tournament. Has a keeper ever won it? Can a keeper win it? If so Neuer should have been considered.

The people saying discouraging things about Basti after the match today are really freaking stupid btw.

Thanks
    EP Points

He didn't deserve it...that's the worst part. Is it a career achievement award? I don't think so, it's supposed to be an award for best player of the tournament. Has a keeper ever won it? Can a keeper win it? If so Neuer should have been considered.

The people saying discouraging things about Basti after the match today are really freaking stupid btw.
    It's not that it wasn't deserved, it was absolutely grotesque to give it to him. I mean, jokes are supposed to be funny, I don't know what this is. Then again, this is FIFA, they already gave him 2 undeserved Ballon d'Or some years ago. He is used to it. We are used to it.

What are they saying?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah I mean I think you could have given it to a few different people, but Messi shouldn't be one of them.

Dumb things. It's from people that don't really understand the sport so I'm mostly ignoring them. It's no one important, just internet warriors. I don't think Basti was really diving today, and the dude is freaking tough IMO.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah I mean I think you could have given it to a few different people, but Messi shouldn't be one of them.

Dumb things. It's from people that don't really understand the sport so I'm mostly ignoring them. It's no one important, just internet warriors. I don't think Basti was really diving today, and the dude is freaking tough IMO.
    Definitely not. Robben, James, Neuer, Müller... there are a few. Hell, even Neymar did a much better tournament than him. Apparently, scoring a goal against Iran and Nigeria is one of the greatest achievements in footie nowadays

Dare I ask where are they from? Perhaps they think he wasn't hit enough today, I mean, he escaped alive after all

Thanks
    EP Points

Not sure if this has been well publicised in various corners of the internet already, but it dawned on me that Schürrle and Götze were the first two players born following the fall of the Berlin Wall to have ever been capped by the national side. They even made their debuts during the same game as a double substitution. And now here they are combining to win a historic first World Cup for unified Germany. The first two children of unified Germany to have ever played for the national side combining to bring home the biggest sporting trophy in the world to the country for the first time in its unified history? That would be enough to bring a tear to my eye if I were German.
    Last edited by Elin; 14th-July-2014 at 11:12.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Congrats Germany!

That prize for Messi is totally like that Nobel Peace they gave Obama some years ago, a total joke, right?

Unless it was meant to be for the footie player most prone to puke during a match, of course
    Nice comparison Cookie, I totally agree with you. I think that someone from Elf team should get it, even there's no particular player who stands out. Germany is unique team because every player has equal contribution, and they all act as one. That is the reason why are they so powerfull. Kroos and Müller stand out, but we should watch Germany as one unique team.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Not sure if this has been well publicised in various corners of the internet already, but it dawned on me that Schürrle and Götze were the first two players born following the fall of the Berlin Wall to have ever been capped by the national side. They even made their debuts during the same game as a double substitution. And now here they are combining to win a historic first World Cup for unified Germany. The first two children of unified Germany to have ever played for the national side combining to bring home the biggest sporting trophy in the world to the country for the first time in its unified history? That would be enough to bring a tear to my eye if I were German.
    I don't have to be German to see how cool this is

Quote Originally Posted by marin123456789 View Post
    Nice comparison Cookie, I totally agree with you. I think that someone from Elf team should get it, even there's no particular player who stands out. Germany is unique team because every player has equal contribution, and they all act as one. That is the reason why are they so powerfull. Kroos and Müller stand out, but we should watch Germany as one unique team.
    That's exactly why the final outcome in this WC was fair. Those who played as a team won. Those who spent their time trying to extol a single player were defeated.

Quoting Di Stéfano, no player is a good as the sum of a team.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Man vs machine and machine won.

And yeah Ellie it's awesome really. I actually have a piece of the Berlin wall. It's one of those things that should not be forgotten.