Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: FIFA World Cup discussion

Thanks
    EP Points

Default FIFA World Cup discussion

Just one more month is left before the magnificent FIFA World Cup 2014 in Brazil and the discussion can now start. You can post anything here that is related to FIFA World Cup, from your favorite team to your predictions. We are all looking forward for the world's biggest sport event!

armadillo.jpg
    Last edited by R0MVLVS; 13th-May-2014 at 21:24.

Thanks
    EP Points

... and so, my favorite team is Croatia. Why Croatia? It's simple, because I am from Croatia. That's a very small country in southeastern Europe, but my country has the honour of opening the FIFA World Cup against almighty Brazil in the very first match of the Cup. I can't say much about the final result of that match, but I know that my country will make me pround and all other Croats in the world. GO CROATIA!!!

Thanks
    EP Points

This thread is relevant to my interests. Oh so relevant.

My country of birth (Scotland) hasn't qualified for a major tournament since 1998, but my strong ties with Japan mean that it kind of feels like a second home at this point, and I support the Japanese national team almost as passionately as I do the Scottish one. So there's no question of where my loyalties lie this tournament. Quite optimistic about their group, too! None of the other three teams are an easy proposition (Colombia and Ivory Coast are both good teams with some dangerous players, and even Greece have proven difficult to beat in recent years), but I don't think any of them are much above Japan's level either, especially with both Touré and Falcao, the star players of their respective nations, coming back from injury. I think Japan can definitely get out of their group, and if things go well, I don't feel like them winning the group is too unfeasible either. And I really hope that they do, because it might mean a clash between Japan and England in the next round, and I really want to see my adopted nation go toe to toe with the arch rivals of my country of birth.

Quote Originally Posted by marin123456789 View Post
    ... and so, my favorite team is Croatia. Why Croatia? It's simple, because I am from Croatia. That's a very small country in southeastern Europe, but my country has the honour of opening the FIFA World Cup against almighty Brazil in the very first match of the Cup. I can't say much about the final result of that match, but I know that my country will make me pround and all other Croats in the world. GO CROATIA!!!
    I quite rate Croatia's team this year, actually! I think Brazil will win the group, but for me Croatia are a lot stronger than either Mexico or Cameroon, and I could see them finishing second. My only worry would be that the climate in Brazil might favour Mexico, but even still, I think Croatia have enough quality that they'll win out. Would like to see them do well for Modric, too. Have been following him since he was really young, and at 28 he's pretty much at the peak of his powers. Would be nice to see him impress~

Thanks

Being English I will be supporting England however I doubt it will be a heroic return for the team - indeed I cannot see them getting beyond what is a tough group. First game against Italy is key.

I think it will be a team out of the normal Spain/Germany/Brazil to win it.
    Touch my twat.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Being English I will be supporting England however I doubt it will be a heroic return for the team - indeed I cannot see them getting beyond what is a tough group. First game against Italy is key.

I think it will be a team out of the normal Spain/Germany/Brazil to win it.

Pretty much this. Too many times too much has been expected of England in big tournaments, only for it to end the same way. I think this time around there isn't the pressure to succeed that past England squads have had, nobody expects them to do well, hopefully that will be an advantage.

Thanks
    EP Points

Though it's pretty much a national pastime here in Scotland to root against the English national side, I think the future of the team is looking more promising just now than it has for a while. I also appreciate the lack of pressure being put upon the team this year by the media, as the way that the English media hypes up the national team never seemed to be all that productive to me. Still, they're in a pretty major transitional phase right now, and they certainly need more time, so I agree that this probably won't be their year.

That being said, I think they might just sneak out of their group. Both Italy and Uruguay are really strong sides with some absolutely world class players, but I don't feel that the gulf in quality between them and England is quite as big as it is with, say, Spain or Germany. I would bet on a Spain or a Germany trumping England every time, but Italy and Uruguay are both sides that I think England could take points off with a good performance and a bit of luck. I wouldn't put any money on it, granted, and I still think that Italy and Uruguay will be the two to go through. But I wouldn't bet against England sneaking through either. And if they can... who knows? Japan's group isn't exactly the strongest, so their tie in the next round will be a team that they'll probably fancy their chances against. And they could wind up making it to the quarter finals, which would be a pretty decent showing given the current issues with English international football.

Will still be playing my bitter Scot card and rooting against them, but y'know~
    Last edited by Elin; 18th-May-2014 at 18:00.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    But I wouldn't bet against England sneaking through either. And if they can... who knows? Japan's group isn't exactly the strongest, so their tie in the next round will be a team that they'll probably fancy their chances against. And they could wind up making it to the quarter finals, which would be a pretty decent showing given the current issues with English international football.

Will still be playing my bitter Scot card and rooting against them, but y'know~
    I think the quarters would absolutely be England's ceiling. The lack of pressure may indeed be of benefit but it depends on how Roy sets the team up. Play to win and they can come back heads held high, but the turgid defence first football of euro 2012 won't win over any new fans.

Scotland will be in with a shout of qualifying for the next Euros so the bitterness may not be forever haha
    Touch my twat.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    I think the quarters would absolutely be England's ceiling. The lack of pressure may indeed be of benefit but it depends on how Roy sets the team up. Play to win and they can come back heads held high, but the turgid defence first football of euro 2012 won't win over any new fans.

Scotland will be in with a shout of qualifying for the next Euros so the bitterness may not be forever haha
    Yeah, I'm not convinced that Roy is the man to lead England forward, really. He's an accomplished manager, but he's also a real pragmatist, and England need revolution right now more than they need pragmatism. I could see them making it to the quarters if they're lucky, but I don't think they're really going to win any fans doing so, as I can't see Roy deviating from the kind of football they've been playing for the last however many years if he thinks that it'll negatively impact results.

The Scottish team is definitely looking more promising now than it has for a while. We basically had all the same problems that England do now combined with a smaller population and less money in our domestic game. But perhaps because of those limited resources, the issues became apparent much more quickly. So I think we're a little further along with the same sort of changes that the English FA is starting to look into now, and looking at the most promising young Scottish players now, there are indications that we're starting to focus much more on technical ability than physicality and long ball tactics at youth level now. I'm really optimistic about the next Euros, especially with the group we were drawn in. And I think if the current young generation continues to progress, there's no reason why we can't make it to the World Cup in 2018. Cautiously optimistic about the Scottish national team for the first time in years. :'D

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Yeah, I'm not convinced that Roy is the man to lead England forward, really. He's an accomplished manager, but he's also a real pragmatist, and England need revolution right now more than they need pragmatism. I could see them making it to the quarters if they're lucky, but I don't think they're really going to win any fans doing so, as I can't see Roy deviating from the kind of football they've been playing for the last however many years if he thinks that it'll negatively impact results.

The Scottish team is definitely looking more promising now than it has for a while. We basically had all the same problems that England do now combined with a smaller population and less money in our domestic game. But perhaps because of those limited resources, the issues became apparent much more quickly. So I think we're a little further along with the same sort of changes that the English FA is starting to look into now, and looking at the most promising young Scottish players now, there are indications that we're starting to focus much more on technical ability than physicality and long ball tactics at youth level now. I'm really optimistic about the next Euros, especially with the group we were drawn in. And I think if the current young generation continues to progress, there's no reason why we can't make it to the World Cup in 2018. Cautiously optimistic about the Scottish national team for the first time in years. :'D
    I can also see Scottish team rising lately and of course in the future. I was, and I am still the fan of weaker teams (like Croatia), but I think that Scotland isn't a weak team now. And when I look back, I can say that you deserved both victories against Croatia. We were very bad back then, but now we have new manager and new hopes for World Cup.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd be happy if Australia got a point. I don't follow soccer that much, but I know we've got something like 1st, 14th and 15th ranked teams in the same group.
    Randomness is everywhere...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Anyone thought Brazil won't receive help when they needed it? And it's just the first day!

With all the social riots there, it's pretty clear Brazil will be in the final no matter what and no matter who. There's only room for another finalist. You can bet on Argentina.

So yeah, let's start with our particular Hall of Shame of the WC 2014:

- japanese referee (Brazil-Croatia)

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Oh dear, Cookie....What happened?

Thanks
    EP Points

Dutchies played an extraordinary game. Really on par with Bayern's (a couple of years ago against Barça), and Madrid's (this year against Bayern) performances in Champions League. It's not that easy to see humiliations like these in professional football but when we do it's to be applauded.
    Just 3 examples that the kind of football Spain, Barça and now Bayern play is more than over. You only need some pressing and counter-attacking to ridicule it.

What a difference between this Robben and Guardiola's in Bayern!

Hall of Shame of the WC 2014:

- Japanese referee (Brazil-Croatia)
    - Spain

The list keep growing

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Pep just ruins everything he touches Cookie. :/

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post