Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does resident evil 2 on project 64 work?

Thanks

Default Does resident evil 2 on project 64 work?

I wanted to do a playthrough on re2 on the 64 as its supposed to be the most complete version with its extras but it seems pretty unplayable on project 64.

I've used the glide64 plugin which seems to get it to work but there are allot of glitches.

considering all the methods that were used to get this game to even run on the 64 I'm guessing its hard to emulate.

Thanks
    EP Points

It does work but I'd have to go back and take a look and hopefully recreate the settings I used. I've beaten it on PJ64 about 6 years ago. Really though it's not that different, all they did was add files to find and different blood colors and I think the PC version had the files too of which I have an upload of kicking around on site somewhere. I'll have to double check everything though but won't be until tomorrow. Been a really long time since I emulated the 64 version
    Last edited by Zaladane; 12th-April-2014 at 07:31.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the 64 was the only version that had the ex-files if gamefaqs is to be believed,I think it also had a hunter cameo as well in a different room.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Dreamcast/GameCube versions are the best version and have the most features, mostly in the way of extra game modes, e.g. play as Chris looking for bombs

GameCube version is a port of the Dreamcast version though as an added bonus one of the few visual bugs do get fixed (they fixed a few polygon crossovers so they layered correctly that was bugged in every other version of Resi2 [On real hardware I am talking about not 3rd party bugs caused via emulation])

Yeah the emulation of the N64 version is glitchy

And yeah I think it was the N64 version that had the extra docs in it, but because I have played it so many times I don't even look at the docs now or just quickly scan the first page or so and go I know this, and quick close it before it goes to the next page

You can find the EX docs online though if you really wanted to read those

Resi2 though for the N64 is one of those games that was always bugged via emulation in some way or another, playable but far from perfect
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-April-2014 at 07:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

It really is playable I just don't remember how

Never tried the GC version though I shall remedy this at some point as it's a great game and always warrants another pkay

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The GC version is the most complete the only thing the Dreamcast version has over that is the VMU health monitor that you forget to look at anyway

EDIT recommended setup for the N64 version

Game - Resident Evil 2
    Version - (U) (V1.1)
    Version - (E) (M2)
    Emulator - Mupen64
    Video Plugin - Glide64 Final
    Sound Plugin - Azimer's HLE v.0.56 WIP 2
    Notes - (Minor) Various graphics errors.
    Notes - (Minor) Video occasionally flickers in some screens. Video also flickers during sequence when passing through a door.
    Notes - Use the Project64 RSP emulation Plugin instead of the Mupen64 RSP to avoid "unknown" errors. This game always has and probably always will suffer from graphics issues. If graphics issues bother you, play the release for Playstation.
    Quote taken from Bighead’s N64 Multiple Game Configuration List
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-April-2014 at 07:52.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Feature | PS1 | Dual Shock | DC | GC | N64 | PC |
    | Blood Color | No | No | No | No | Yes | No |
    | Ex Files | No | No | No | No | Yes | No |
    | Extreme Battle Mode | No | Yes | Yes | Yes | No | Yes |
    | EBM Default-Unlocked | No | No | Yes | No | No | Yes |
    | Character Art | No | No | Yes | No | No | Yes |
    | Violence Control | No | No | No | No | Yes | No |
    | Arrange Mode | No | Yes | Yes | Yes | No | Yes |
    | Media Type | CD | CD | GD | MD | ROM |CD/DVD|
    | Number of Discs/Carts | 2 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 2/1 |
    | Memory Card/VMU Needed | Yes | Yes | Yes | Yes | No | No |

I guess I can just read the ex files online

I already played through the ps1 version a few years back.

Apparently playing as claire A and then Leon B has more story?

I'd played Leon A Claire B last time
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-April-2014 at 08:11.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I forgot the art was not in the GC version.. oops guess it is lacking something vs the DC version, the art work can also be looked at online though, GC version can still be considered the best mostly because of the graphical fixes, though nothing that bad or anything to start with (stuff like Sherry's neck partly vanishing and cell bars going under instead of over in places, stuff like that)

I don't consider anything pre unlocked as a feature to be honest

The extra game modes are worth playing though , something a little different to play through
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-April-2014 at 08:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

what about the order of the scenarios? Is there any difference from playing Claire A-Leon B Claire B Leon A?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

FMV's and scenes mostly both varients play through much the same though, there are slight differences though but not that much.

To unlock everything you need to play through about 3 times though anyway (6 game plays in total 3xgame A and 3xgame B) so you will find that out anyway

there is a room that takes 2 hand prints so can only be unlocked from Game B

Game B just played from the only hero's start point and is completely different from game A

a game A+B is a full play through, game B takes into account of what you done in game A or at least for a silly finger print thing late on in the game, game B again is alot different extra events ect, all bosses are different and located differently

a game B+A does nothing for you, game A just starts a new game (you get anything that was unlocked though rocket launcher or whatever), ignoring any events from game B

Clair's games vs Leon's games, there is very little between the two to be honest a few FMV's and scenes and equipment, the basic puzzle items are much the same though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-April-2014 at 08:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I read that the story plays out slightly differently, are those playthrough unlocks just costumes?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No extra game modes and equipment used in the main game

You unlock the costumes with the special key found in front of the police station if you don't pick up anything and rush through the first scenes until you are at the station (up to the outside area's but on the grounds of the police station) you can get that on the first play.

Game A you end up out side the police station just go down into the small tunnel/underpass there will be a lone zombie there, he has the key

Game B once you at the police station car park you can start picking up items ect then make your way to same place to get that key

Game B+A does nothing for you

Game A+B clair+leon plays slightly different to Game A+B leon+clair not vastly though again you will find this out for yourself, no point in playing it if you know exactly what is going to happen, story wise they are slightly different mostly concerning sherry close to the end, overall both the ends of game B are much the same only slight differences.

Game A vs Game B is totally different though, but who is doing each of those does not make any great difference and few odd ones but nothing big, there are a few Leon only scenes/puzzles and few Clair only scenes/puzzles, but you will see those in the other play through's except for FMV that change slightly.

EDIT I have saves on one of my VMU's with everything unlocked though anyway, not sure about the GC version but I am guessing yes for that as well.

I can backup my Dreamcast saves via SD not 100% sure about my GC saves though, but should be able to back those up also to PC.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-April-2014 at 08:52.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

If there a low finishing time action replay or gecko code for RE 2 gamecube? I know there was one for re remake. Seems a bit strange they wouldnt have one when they have a zero saves cheat and that you get ranked on what time you finish the game and what unlocks you get.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

see http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/535...-evil-2/cheats for unlockables

I could possibly make one (the cheat code) but at the moment I am very busy or my PC is at the moment sorting alot of large files out this has been going on for the last few days now

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

That would be awesome if you could, I've got a few games I'm playing now atm so I can wait.