Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get the Vita

5 41.67%
  • Get the 3DS

9 75.00%
  • Only Fagz play on Gaystation Vita

0 0%
  • 3DS Haha! A dying console from a dying company. Hardcore gamers do not play on Nintendo

0 0%
  • Micr$oft mak a Xbox Portabl nd it wil be beter den al tings.it ply COD and Halo and yu ar gay

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS Vita VS 3DS

Thanks
    EP Points

Default PS Vita VS 3DS

I will very probably be in the market for a portable console soon and I am torn between the two console. Both have there pros and cons. I would like people's opinions of both console, preferably if you have actually used one of the consoles.
    I have a PS4 so there are some definite advantages to the Vita plus I want to play Uncharted Golden Abyss, AC Liberation, and every PS4 game in my bed. On the other hand I really want to play OoT, A Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, Minish Cap. But with Vita my PS Plus Subscription will come in handy.
    The prices are
    Second Gen PS Vita+free game €200
    Special Edition 3DS XL+free DOWNLOAD of Link Between Worlds €240
    Last edited by kirov; 4th-April-2014 at 09:27.

Thanks
    EP Points

Get a pre owned Vita off eBay for £80, sorted.

Original "fatty" for the ultra uber sexy OLED screen.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

I won't take sides but does Vita have pokeymans?

Thanks
    EP Points

I have both and I use the 3DS way more than the Vita, while owning a fraction of the game on 3DS than I do Vita.

The majority of Vita games are fucking trash, especially the ones they like to put up on PS+
    Also the "play PS4 in your bed" doesn't really work out so well. Remember that PS4 uses 4 shoulder buttons where the Vita has 2 shoulder buttons. There's this little touchpad on the back that's supposed to be used for the R2 and L2 buttons, but it's basically impossible to hold the Vita without covering the touchpad.

That said, the 3ds does have a limited library. Fortunately pretty much every game is worth picking up, especially Zelda which you said you're getting free.

I would say grab the Vita if you're looking for more variety and already have incentives for it and 3DS if you're looking for shit worth playing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Corey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I have both and I use my Vita much. much more.

Since both systems have appealing games, consider which ones, out of that list you mentioned, do you want to play more/what console will get more use in the long run.

I can't really recommend one. The decision wasn't easy for me either so I ended up getting both

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have both, and right now I'm struggling to find games I want for both systems. However, I still own more games for the 3DS.

The Vita, to me, is a better potential system, hardware wise; the screen is gorgeous, the two analog sticks feel good and the touch screens are very responsive without needing a stylus. The thing is, the back one is both too big and gets in the way when holding it, and my hands get really tired when holding it the "proper" way. It also suffers from a still overly inflated cost of usable memory... as in, you need at least 16 GB to really have any kind of future proofing since game downloads are huge. It also suffers from horrible battery life. But since it has much more RAM than the 3DS, making it a much faster and smoother system.

The 3DS is not as sexy looking as the Vita, but what it lacks in pretty it make up for in library. If the Vita had even half of the stuff the 3DS did I doubt the system would be having as much trouble. It's also much more open, memory stick wise, so there's no paying out the ass to ensure you don't have to delete games or files. The system's main flaw, outside of the battery life being horrible if you don't turn off the useless 3D, is the over use of touch screen. Unlike the Vita, you have to use a stylus to really get any kind of precision, so prepare to one hand the system a lot... which can get painful in some cases. It also lacks in RAM, so starting the system is incredibly sluggish, and it just feels slower going into a game than with the Vita.

Also, and this seems to be just a Nintendo thing, but it feels like some games have lost the script when it comes to being on a hand held system; Kid Icarus: Uprising with including a stand you need to use on a flat, stable surface instead of actually having a good control scheme and Ocarina of Time 3D with the camera control option that requires you to move your upper torso and system to look around in the game instantly come to mind.

Honestly, if you just had to get one, I would stick with the 3DS because of its better library. If you really want a Vita, try and find one used and hope it comes with a decent memory stick, because the way the thing is going it's not really worth buying new. It's so lacking in actual games that the sexy hardware isn't worth the new price.

Thanks
    EP Points

I only have a 3DS myself, I got it because I looked at the game libraries and the 3DS had more things I was personally interested in, such as the new Ace Attorney, Bravely Default and such. For the record I have zero interest in classic Nintendo titles like Mario/Zelda so those I didn't even consider. Contrary to popular belief the console does have a decent library of games that aren't just first party Nintendo stuff, with more on the way in the upcoming years.

With time and enough localizations I can see the Vita having its own role as a JRPG machine, although I have a suspicion it's gonna end up like the PSP, that is, you'll have to know Japanese in order to fully take advantage of its game library. For that reason I can definitely see myself considering picking one up in the future, but my initial pick was the 3DS... back during the last generation I got a DS Lite way before I got my PSP, so yeah. Oh and yeah I guess with the Vita you can play your dudebro games in bed. If you're into that.

But really, it all depends on your taste in games. I say look at both libraries and make up your mind based on that.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I only have a 3DS myself, I got it because I looked at the game libraries and the 3DS had more things I was personally interested in, such as the new Ace Attorney, Bravely Default and such. For the record I have zero interest in classic Nintendo titles like Mario/Zelda so those I didn't even consider. Contrary to popular belief the console does have a decent library of games that aren't just first party Nintendo stuff, with more on the way in the upcoming years.

With time and enough localizations I can see the Vita having its own role as a JRPG machine, although I have a suspicion it's gonna end up like the PSP, that is, you'll have to know Japanese in order to fully take advantage of its game library. For that reason I can definitely see myself considering picking one up in the future, but my initial pick was the 3DS... back during the last generation I got a DS Lite way before I got my PSP, so yeah. Oh and yeah I guess with the Vita you can play your dudebro games in bed. If you're into that.

But really, it all depends on your taste in games. I say look at both libraries and make up your mind based on that.
    At least the Vita's region free so you can play your Japanese only RPG goodness on it, unlike the 3DS.

All consoles have their own positive and negative sides which need taking into consideration when buying one. But at the end of the day, it's your money and your decision (this sentence is aimed at the OP)

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, I know. It's sad, really. Being region free shouldn't be an advantage in 2014, but alas, lol Nintendo.

Thanks

I have both systems, and my 3DS gets way more use. The Vita I bought at launch with two games, and I haven't bought another game for it since. There just hasn't been anything interesting to come out on the Vita since. The apps on the Vita are nice to use, but it's nothing that my laptop won't do.

The 3DS has a much more diverse library, and the games seem to drop in price fairly quickly. Most of the games reach around $30 after a month or two. In the end, it's all about your personal preference in games.

Just one point of advice. If you decide on the 3DS, don't settle on the regular 3DS. Make sure you get the XL/LL. The hinge on the regular 3DS is a little loose and floppy, and the XL is much tighter. My friend got the XL, and playing on it made me want one.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm another one to have both systems, and I have to be honest, the 3DS gets more play out of me as well. While there are quite a few Vita titles I love, Bravely Default, SMT: Soul Hackers, SMT IV, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, and AA/PL have really dominated my time Vita-wise the main game I've been playing is P4: Golden, though I own Uncharted and several PS+ titles.

: But yeah, take Cookie's advice. If you want to play the Vita titles more, go with that. If you want to play 3DS titles more, go that route. If you want both pretty much equally you can probably find deals online that would allow you to pick up both.

Thanks
    EP Points

They really are both totally different consoles. I know that's kind of a cop out but you can't really compare them. 3DS is a bit more unique, it's designed purely to be a traditional handheld console and play games. That's either your cup of tea or it isn't, and if it is, I don't think anyone does either of those things better than Nintendo. The Vita on the other hand feels more like a full size console that's been grafted onto a tablet and shrunk. It does more stuff than the 3DS but the trade off is a weaker library depending on the sort of games you like. I'd decide which of those sounds more appealing and choose one based on that.

If you're really having a tough time deciding I would lean towards the Vita. You have PS+ so you've (hopefully!) built up a small collection for it already, as well as any PS1 or PSP games you have tied to your account, and of course you also have remote play with PS4 games.

I do think whichever you choose you'll eventually get the other console too, though. They're both very different and if you're already torn between them I don't think either one is really going to be "it."
    Last edited by Cosmic; 4th-April-2014 at 17:28.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd get something that will last, a Nintendo 3ds.
    My Video Game Codes

“Evil cannot create anything new, it can only distort and destroy what was invented or created by the forces of good.”

― JRR Tolkien

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for all the advice guys, it is really appreciated. I will let you know what I get when I get it.

Thanks
    EP Points

I would get them both if you can. I play my vita more but I like my 3DS too. Monster Hunter for 3DS is great and Fire Emblem, then I like to play Toukiden, Persona 4 golden, Killzone, Dragons Crown on the Vita. Either way I'm sure you will enjoy.