Thread: Now that Konami is charging $40 for a demo, will this trend catch on?

Thanks
    EP Points

Question Now that Konami is charging $40 for a demo, will this trend catch on?

I know they dropped the price down a bit (IIRC $30), but still, It is very dumb to charge for a demo. Atleast with Early Access, you bought the game. If this trend catches on, I can easily see Capcom and EA jumping on this money ship.

Konami has been going downhill for years ( see the jim sterling episode). With all of their IPs they have, they even bought Hudson, they only use like 3 of them. I'm surprised they are still around with all of their dumb tactics they have been doing for the past couple of years.

Thanks
    EP Points

Obviously you're referring to Metal Gear, and it's $30 for current gen and $20 for last gen. If you'd played the game, you'll realize that there's a lot more to it than just a short "demo" mission.

What's getting really irritating is how all people seem to focus on about this game is it's length. No one bothers to talk about how good it really is.

Oh, to answer your question though, I don't really see it catching on. I could see EA testing the waters with it because they'll try anything with $$$$ signs at least once, but they'll do such a poor job of it people will most likely revolt.
    Last edited by FlavaFlave; 21st-March-2014 at 21:36.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Paying for a demo has happened before though. For example Capcom did the same with Dead Rising 2 and the stand-alone Case Zero chapter.

And regarding Konami they have indeed fallen hard on the gaming side but don't for a second believe they are doing badly. They make most of their money from health clubs/resorts and from arcades nowadays as far as I know. You could say Konami are playing it safe and only releasing games they know will make them money back.

Thanks
    EP Points

This same question was asked when Gran Turismo 5: Prologue was released several years back. Many people complained at Polyphony releasing a glorified demo and charging $40 for it. I for one loved GT5: Prologue and put many many hours into it. I have not purchased MGS5:Ground Zeroes, yet. I will purchase it soon after I finish some of the games that I currently own.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    EP Points

far as paying that much for a demo goes...no, heck no

that said, this mention of konami has just made me wonder how many castlevania games i've missed since i stopped getting consoles/handhelds at NDS and the 360 (last castlevania game i bought was order of ecclesia). funny, i type in konami and...OH now i remember, kinda, i must've added it to the spell check dictionary at some point and forgot about it. that or spellcheck was just being wierd right then, castlevania, think i'll go over to gamefaqs and look around for a bit (sorry for going off-topic but well, the topic reminded me of all that).

Thanks
    EP Points

I feel like the length shouldn't really matter when looking at the price of a game, but rather how much you enjoyed it.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Spose' View Post
    I feel like the length shouldn't really matter when looking at the price of a game, but rather how much you enjoyed it.
    In a perfect world I would agree with you but gaming is a bloody expensive hobby so I totally understand why people get upset with short games.

That said, Ground Zeroes is pretty cheap and loaded with content. The story is short, took me about 3 hours my first time, and it's a damn shame but there's much more to it than just the story. In contrast, Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z was released recently and I read that the game takes about 3.5 hours to get through and that's a full price title. Not sure how much replay value it has but I doubt it's even close to what Ground Zeroes has to offer. Comparing GZ with Yaiba may be a silly comparison to make but feel free to change it with any other short-length full-price game you want...

I'm horribly biased though so you don't have to believe me if you don't want to.

Thanks
    EP Points

@ crusher

And lets not forget that Yaiba is also a mechanically terrible game as well (at least from all the reviews). GZ is polished and tight. It isn't broken nor is it boring and repetitive.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    In a perfect world I would agree with you but gaming is a bloody expensive hobby so I totally understand why people get upset with short games.

That said, Ground Zeroes is pretty cheap and loaded with content. The story is short, took me about 3 hours my first time, and it's a damn shame but there's much more to it than just the story. In contrast, Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z was released recently and I read that the game takes about 3.5 hours to get through and that's a full price title. Not sure how much replay value it has but I doubt it's even close to what Ground Zeroes has to offer. Comparing GZ with Yaiba may be a silly comparison to make but feel free to change it with any other short-length full-price game you want...

I'm horribly biased though so you don't have to believe me if you don't want to.
    In a perfect world people wouldn't really care about the prices at all. When I purchase a game I forget all about the price I paid and just think about how much I enjoy it. Gaming is just as an expensive hobby as tea is for me at least right now. I get a whole lot less out of my tea than I do a game that I can always replay forever, but to each their own.

I mainly focus on the story of games and whether or not it was a good story. I'll pay anything for a good story as long as it's not some insane price. Especially with a media that each time you replay the game you can make new decisions or mistakes that prolong the game.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hopefully not, even though there have been cases when a "demo" got charged for (referring to the other posts). I myself will get Ground Zeroes when it's cheaper, as it's always been the case for any Metal Gear Solid I've got so I'm not particularly fussed about the length. I'm sure it's got a lot of replay value and that is encouraged by the short length, as well as by the content available.
    Also I don't care if Kiefer Sutherland voices Big Boss, I think he's got a great voice and fits with the tone of the game.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks

There is no other reason other than greed for a games company to do this. Being a Metal Gear game you, they and I know it is going to sell very well just because the of the brand. This glorified demo should be a part of the main game end of. This is one of the reasons why I have turned to emulation of good old games where you had complete products and none of this DLC, half-baked, patch later bull.

Thanks

if ppl buy it I suppose it will.

no thanks.

yaibas alright. no question the special edition extras (for no additional charge) was pretty cool. OST disc & everything. (360 version anyway)

Thanks
    EP Points

well, after checking around some and finding out the zero ground is only around 2 hours long, definately not worth $30-40. maybe if i liked the franchise as much as i do sonic or any other older series but then again i never bought the sonic 4 game, partly because it wasn't a full game but rather a game split into pieces asking you to pay for each piece separately vs paying full price for 1 complete game. a 2 hour game these days is pretty much nothing at all really, regardless of however much side content there is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFlave View Post
    I could see EA testing the waters with it because they'll try anything with $$$$ signs at least once, but they'll do such a poor job of it people will most likely revolt.
    This statement just cracked me up, so funny yet so true