Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which laptop is better with emulating and playing?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks again SOLDIERSeeD

So it's more like for PS2 emulation anyway because it can use 3 cores....

3 x 2.4 GHz CPU's used at once then it has not just the one CPU to eat up but 3 to use until it hits the max then may get boosted to 3.4 or less on one of those cores, keeping the other 2 at 2.4 GHz

Just trying to get it down to a level that is understandable, more for BlackCitadel than myself to be honest, I still use real consoles over emulation anyway so currently I will stick to my now well outdated laptop, used more for editing games than playing them, until funding lets me build a new desktop at some point in the future.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hello again.
    I think I will not buy the HP right now due to it's expensive price.
    Well, anybody can tell me which i7 laptops are also good at playing games?

Are all the Dell laptops bad? or the one that I mentioned?

People always tell me DONT BUY HP laptops, I don't know why!

Well, which laptop do you recommend me?

Lenovo? TOSHIBA? ACER? HP? or any other co. just good at playing games.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The brand has little to do with anything except the support that is given per laptop and the build quality, it's the stats per laptop you want to be looking at

Dell and HP are the more expensive ones to be honest though as far as brand names go but are of good build quality and good support.

HP's are in general good machines with very good support but are more expensive than some of the other brands Dell is the same so the price may be the reason alone, I can't say I have had any issues with HP or Compaq (they are the same company, the same as Dell and Alienware are the same company)

You need to be looking at the not just the basic Rating that is based on the lowest contributing stat but look at what the rating is based on, so look at the details for that rating by clicking Windows Experience Index, to see what it is rated on, that will list stats for...

Processor
    Memory (RAM)
    Graphics
    Gaming graphics
    Primary hard disc

Better yet type dxdiag in the start text box and hit enter to pull up the stats shown by DirectX Diagnostic Tool, the graphics card/chip set info is in the Display tab the rest of the info is shown by default

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

didn't read through the whole thread but as far as video/graphics are concerned you might want to remember that regardless of how good the laptop is you shouldn't expect much, if anything, in the way of driver updates due to the whole integrated chipset thing i would say anything d3's (diablo 3) system requirements or higher may run into problems in regards to video card requirements. got that for christmas last year and can't even play it. it hits a video related error upon launching the game and theres no way to update/upgrade my video drivers.

aside from big games like that though, a laptop with (at least) the following specs (mine) could handle most things up to some ps2 games and a few psp games:

Dell
    Inspiron 1545
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
    $.00GB installed RAM
    64-bit OS (windows 7 home premium)
    and it has the touch pad rather than a normal mouse as if that really matters

most issues i run into outside of patching romhacks is just plugin or emulator setting related stuff.

Thanks

Thanks for your information.
    Well, Zorlon, since you say Dell is also good. Why don't I buy that Dell mentioned in this post?

Thanks

Well,
    I am going to buy the Dell.
    Now, what about Dragon Quest 8 on such CPU (i7 1.8 GHz)? Will it be playable at at least reasonable speed?
    It is veeeeeeery slow on my i3 TOSHIBA laptop and I couldn't ever play it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCitadel View Post
    Well,
    I am going to buy the Dell.
    Now, what about Dragon Quest 8 on such CPU (i7 1.8 GHz)? Will it be playable at at least reasonable speed?
    It is veeeeeeery slow on my i3 TOSHIBA laptop and I couldn't ever play it.
    Both me and Zorlon have told you already why that Dell laptop is not suited for PC games or PS2 emulation. Dragon Quest 8 in particular is very CPU- and GPU-intensive, so don't expect miracles. It will most certainly run very slow, even after applying a heavy amount of speedhacks.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SOLDIERSeeD For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You have already told me and I have already heard you.
    But what you say sounds a bit strange! How an i7 laptop with 2 GB Graphics not be capable (suited) for even PC games??!!
    Also my brother told me to stick with the Dell, he told me the HP laptops are risky and got problems.

Thanks
    EP Points

You have already told me and I have already heard you.
    But what you say sounds a bit strange! How an i7 laptop with 2 GB Graphics not be capable (suited) for even PC games??!!
    Also my brother told me to stick with the Dell, he told me the HP laptops are risky and got problems.
    Wait a minute. From what I've seen in this thread, the Dell laptop has only a Intel HD 4400 graphic card. As a integrated GPU it does not have an own VRAM. So, could you enlighten me how you come up with that 2 GB Graphics?

Thanks

The "Dedicated Video Memory" is 2560 MB

Thanks
    EP Points

Because the amount of vram isn't the only factor in video performance. To grossly simplify, how fast the GPU is able to process information, and how fast it can transfer data in and out of its vram, also makes a difference. Generally speaking standalone video cards in desktop PCs vastly outperform the integrated video chipsets in laptops; there's a reason much more expensive laptops designed specifically for gaming exist.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Strange??!!

It's shown "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family" with 2560 MB Dedicated Video Memory" when I check the Advanced Settings in Screen resolution menu

And when I right-Click an empty space on Desktop I see "AMD Control panel" installed???!!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Strange??!!

It's shown "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family" with 2560 MB Dedicated Video Memory" when I check the Advanced Settings in Screen resolution menu

And when I right-Click an empty space on Desktop I see "AMD Control panel" installed???!!!
    Ah, I see. Your laptop has dual GPU which means it features a dedicated GPU alongside the Intel integrated chipset. Could you somehow obtain information about the actual model of your graphics card?

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to answer your previous question. "Dedicated Video RAM" sounds pretty awesome, but it actually refers to the amount of your actual RAM the integrated card uses to render your game graphics, for example.
    Intel chipsets are integrated to the CPU, and therefore have NO own VRAM. This means that they will be much slower than actual dedicated GPUs with their own VRAM, since it has to use the system's RAM. So don't be blinded by seemingly high numbers and flashy terms like "dedicated video Memory".
    Last edited by SOLDIERSeeD; 26th-March-2014 at 21:27.

Thanks

See.
    When I Right-Click on empty space on Desktop, I get this.
    1-Right-Click_zps3da4b07e.jpg

As you can See.
    And when I click on "Intel" Graphics Properties...", this screen pops up.
    2-Intel_zps12ef1ffb.jpg

And when I click on the first selection "Graphics Properties", this screen pops up.
    3-AMD_zpsedbb69cc.jpg

And finally, I also checked the "Device Manager" under "Display adapters"...
    Two adapters are shown.
    4-Manage_zps8c073688.jpg

And in the Advanced Settings this appears.
    2Dell_zps52a9d329.jpg

- AMD Radeon HD 8850M

- Intel (R) HD Graphics Family

Now what does this mean?

So, does it actually have the AMD graphics adapter as a separate one?

The man told me that all laptops come with an Internal Intel Graphics of about 64 MB and that AMD is a separate graphics adapter.

Thanks
    EP Points

So, does it actually have the AMD graphics adapter as a separate one?
    Apparently so. I was able to find this article about the AMD graphics adapter in your screenshot.

The design of the Radeon 8800M series has its roots to the Cape Verde chip as found, for example, on the desktop Radeon HD 7770 with 640 1D shader cores and 40 texture units. However the core clock of the 8850M is only 575-725 MHz (or up to 625-775 MHz with Boost) versus the 1000 MHz of the desktop HD 7770. As a result, general performance of the HD 8850M should be similar to the desktop HD 7750.
    According to this page the HD 7750 is (theoretically) somewhere around 2/3 as powerful as the Nvidia 8800gt, which is the recommended card for pcsx2 according to this wiki. I take that to mean you might be able to emulate quite a few PS2 games, but not all of them.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 27th-March-2014 at 23:47.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"