Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Random Access Confusion (Or, Necro Plays A Randomized Nuzlocke Challenge)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Random Access Confusion (Or, Necro Plays A Randomized Nuzlocke Challenge)

Hey guys, I've recently gotten into randomized Pokemon in my off time and I tried a few nuzlocke challenges and they're pretty fun. I haven't actually finished one, the furthest I got so far was the Pokemon Mansion on FireRed where I was ruined by Gravelers exploding.

Anyway, I decided I'd see if yall were interested in watching my next run either on Twitch or uploaded to youtube. (Both?)

In either case anyone interested just leave a reply here letting me know if it's worth my time and what game you think I should play. Anything up to GBA since I can't emulate the pokemon games on DS. EDIT: It looks like I can run DS pokemon games just fine, I was just an idiot.

I'll be using a random noun generator to name all my pokemon, but if you yall want I could put up a list that it generates for me and you can vote for what I use.

Oh, the rules and randomizations I decided to use for this run will be more merciful than my previous attempts since I want to actually finish this one. They are as follows, and feel free to suggest more.

- Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released.

- The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances. If the first encounter in the area is a Double Battle in dark grass, the player may choose which of the two Pokémon they would like to catch.

- While not exactly a definite rule, the general consensus is that players must also nickname all of their Pokémon, for the sake of forming stronger emotional bonds.

- Also not a definite rule, but the general consensus is that a black out/white out is considered to be "game over", even if there are Pokémon left in the PC.

- Strongly implied, though not explicitly mentioned in the comic, is the stipulation that the player can use only Pokémon they have captured themselves, meaning traded Pokémon, mystery gifts, etc., are prohibited. Trading and retrading the same Pokémon (for the purpose of evolving a Graveler, for example) is something of a gray area, and may fall under optional rules. As of White: Hard-Mode Episode 3, it is implied that the player can accept Pokémon that are received freely from NPCs.

- Also strongly implied is a prohibition against voluntarily resetting and reloading the game when things go wrong. Being able to do so would render all of the other rules pointless.

- Banning the use of held items.
    ------------------------------------
    - Moves will be updated to their Gen V counterparts.

- Trade Evolutions will be replaced by ingame solutions. (trade evolutions are level based, trade with item are stone based)

- Pokemon Base Stats will be random. This can result in some really strong outcomes, but most likely really bad ones.

- Pokemon abilities will be randomized, and Wonder Guard will be removed (I think Shedinja retains it though?)

- Starters will be completely random or randomized to only allow starters capable of evolving. I'd rather a starter who can evolve, but I'll let you guys decide.

- Pokemon types will be unchanged, I don't even know all the weakness anyway outside of Fire beats Water, and I want it to still stick to elemental Rock Paper Scissors.

- Pokemon movesets will be random, but still attempting to stay on type. (It's a little buggy, sometimes you get fire types with water moves etc...)

- Trainers will have type themed pokemon, but not necessarily their originals. I like themes. And it makes the gyms feel more like gyms.

- Rival will carry his Starter through the game, but the rest of his team will be random.

- Wild encounters will be Type Themed 1-1 Area mapping, meaning that they will be randomized, but it won't exceed the natural amount that can appear there. In my various runs, I've noticed it prevents you from running into a ton of Legendaries.

- Static pokemon (Zapdos, NPCs, etc...) will be randomly determined from something of their own class.

- TM Moves will be randomized

- Field Items will be shuffled instead of randomized so that no OP items are obtained like master balls, but still random.
    Last edited by Corey; 19th-March-2014 at 04:19.

Thanks
    EP Points

Stream will be going live every night at 8 PM my time (CDT) and I'll be uploading the videos to youtube. Hopefully they don't remove them since youtube has been pretty DMCA crazy lately. If you suck with timezones like me, this may help.

Stream link is here.

Part one is up. Quality is awful, thank twitch for showing priority to stupid fighting game and dota tournaments.

Last edited by Corey; 21st-March-2014 at 02:46.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Corey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I enjoy Pokemon,so I'd like to see it. How about Pokemon Gold/Silver?

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh yay a reply.

I don't mind doing Gold/Silver, I can manage HeartGold/SoulSilver though if that'd be easier on the eyes.

Thanks
    EP Points

That would be fine,I haven't played that one yet.

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright cool. Tell your friends.

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright.Will do.Thanks.

Thanks
    EP Points

Post updated with stream times. If it's not really possible for you error, you're the only watcher so far so lemme know what'd work better for you.

Thanks
    EP Points

Do you live in Texas? If so,that would be 9pm my time.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Iamerror View Post
    Do you live in Texas? If so,that would be 9pm my time.
    I do. Any time after 5 PM is good for me so I can go earlier.

Thanks
    EP Points

9pm is fine,Corey.I was just making sure.I'm terrible with time zones.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'll probably tune in here and there, depending on which game you're playing. Always love watching me some Pokemon. You're only about 2 hours ahead of me, so I likely won't be missing that much.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quick mock up of the Overlay for the stream. I need some help putting a border on the windows if anyone is willing to help. I can't figure out how to do it without fucking the overlay up.

Thanks
    EP Points

i might watch a bit here and there if i'm bored enough, where is the stream going to be exactly? Also what time in Pacific time? (couldn't figure out how to translate it in time zone link lol)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
    i might watch a bit here and there if i'm bored enough, where is the stream going to be exactly? Also what time in Pacific time? (couldn't figure out how to translate it in time zone link lol)
    It will be 6:00 PM your time when I start.

Also, opening post updated with the link to the stream.

EDIT: Also, have to start an hour earlier at 7 my time, got some stuff that came up so it's pushing it hour earlier.
    Last edited by Corey; 14th-March-2014 at 22:54.