Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sexualization in games

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    Everyone knows the best girl in FFXII is Vaan.

...what now?
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

This has been discussed a bit in Sweden lately, what with the gender/feminism-debate becoming an extremely household thing over the last five years of so (leading to the invention of a word that means "him/her" and a lot of stuffs). As far as the "sex sells"-argument goes we've actually begun to ban (not really, but sorta, explaining would take too long) commercials that even imply stuff related to nudity, or show partial nudity to begin with (because it's never actually related to a product, bleh). And, eh, yeah, loads of games still do the whole Buff McManbro, as Ray put it, and Tits O'catsuit deal. Personally I just normally find it boring more than anything else, unless it's things like that chick in Soul... Blade? Uh... you know, the games with Yoshimitsu... eh, CALIBER. She has a huge vagina-buldge-thingie, yeah, it's totally always amusing.

So, anyhow, I obviously have nothing to add. I do, however, find it a bit tiresome that even in games with pretty much zero sexualization such as, say, Front Mission 4 which I'm currently replaying (DESPITE THE DAMN REPAIR-PACKS!) it's the petite lady character who goes "tehheehe, no I'm single MONSEUIR!!!" and the buff rebel man dude who's all like "COOL, BRO!" but yeah.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

"sex sells" so common in mmos that i find it annoying, that and sometimes i can tell how crappy a game is by both screenshots and/or how many scantily clad women are strewn about in the advertising. more often than not, if a game has lots of such women in the advertising/in-game artwork, i find its just crap in general or copy/paste crap which is just as common.

play 1 mmo tactics game? gratz, you've pretty much played the whole genre. played 1 game like say...angel's wrath, gratz you've just seen 1 of the most overused mmo design ever (no, seriously, that design is like the most over used design i've ever seen in mmos, second maybe to tactics genre and NO, there is no mmorts its just a slightly less tick based mmo tactics game when they call it a rts). then again, i tend to stick to browser based mmos usually so maybe that why i see so much copy/paste trash

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Bleh, Fran. Everyone knows Ashe is where it's at. Shortest skirt in all of Dalmasca!
    Fran didn't even bother w/ a skirt. Just pure sexy ass...and the nose and accent as Milady mentioned...The feet were hard to get over though
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I never liked the Viera. Or the Mithra. Or the not Mithra called the Miqo'te. They're all just really boring animal feature girls for the sake of having animal features.

But then, I never did really get the whole appeal of that.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    This has been discussed a bit in Sweden lately, what with the gender/feminism-debate becoming an extremely household thing over the last five years of so (leading to the invention of a word that means "him/her" and a lot of stuffs). As far as the "sex sells"-argument goes we've actually begun to ban (not really, but sorta, explaining would take too long) commercials that even imply stuff related to nudity, or show partial nudity to begin with (because it's never actually related to a product, bleh). And, eh, yeah, loads of games still do the whole Buff McManbro, as Ray put it, and Tits O'catsuit deal. Personally I just normally find it boring more than anything else, unless it's things like that chick in Soul... Blade? Uh... you know, the games with Yoshimitsu... eh, CALIBER. She has a huge vagina-buldge-thingie, yeah, it's totally always amusing.

So, anyhow, I obviously have nothing to add. I do, however, find it a bit tiresome that even in games with pretty much zero sexualization such as, say, Front Mission 4 which I'm currently replaying (DESPITE THE DAMN REPAIR-PACKS!) it's the petite lady character who goes "tehheehe, no I'm single MONSEUIR!!!" and the buff rebel man dude who's all like "COOL, BRO!" but yeah.
    Ugh, "hen" makes me rage so hard. The smartypants who came up with that word totally misses the point of the debate. I'm all for equality but argh it's so stupid!

This thread makes me wonder what everyone here consider "good" sexualization in games? Does something like that even exist?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ugh, "hen" makes me rage so hard. The smartypants who came up with that word totally misses the point of the debate. I'm all for equality but argh it's so stupid!

This thread makes me wonder what everyone here consider "good" sexualization in games? Does something like that even exist?
    I'm thinking more of "good" sexualization in Uncharted, Mass Effect where they aren't busty but pretty much normal women, as they should be now with games becoming more like films.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Englebert3rd View Post
    I'm thinking more of "good" sexualization in Uncharted, Mass Effect where they aren't busty but pretty much normal women, as they should be now with games becoming more like films.
    Well Uncharted is what I had in mind too. Not only the women but the men too (dat Sully ). Mass Effect I don't agree on. First thing that comes to mind is Ashley and how they "upped" her in ME3. I prefer how she looked in ME/ME2.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well Uncharted is what I had in mind too. Not only the women but the men too (dat Sully ). Mass Effect I don't agree on. First thing that comes to mind is Ashley and how they "upped" her in ME3. I prefer how she looked in ME/ME2.
    Oh yeah, was thinking of ME/ME2, forgot about ME3 actually!
    I haven't played any of them though. I was thinking of Half-Life 2 in addition to my comment, probably the Resident Evils before 4? Before they made Ada all sexed up.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube